Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ladypat1

The rest of the Easter hutch

ladypat1
13 years ago

You've seen the Peter Rabbit parts of the hutch, here's the whole hutch.

I have a question for you, though. Should I paint the inside of the hutch? Sometimes I just don't like the ugly oak grain showing. If I did paint, the only color I think I could do would be white, because I usually have green/white or blue/white dishes in it. Please give me your opinion.

Thank you,

Pat

Here is a link that might be useful: Easter Hutch

Comments (22)

• christmascandy
    13 years ago

I think white would look great.
    You could also put mirror on there, or cut pieces of cardboard to fit and cover with seasonal fabric or wrapping paper or wallpaper, or scrapbooking paper, and then the background could change with the seasons or holidays.

Here is a picture of my corner hutch in my family room with wallpaper background. It is decorated for Christmas, not Easter, but you get the idea.

The vignettes are all very cute.

TFS,
    Candy

• marylee_2010
    13 years ago

Ladies, I am so glad you have brought this topic up. I have a curio with mirror backs and I have always been fine with it but you have made me see that maybe I can try something different. Thank you so much! And I love your Easter decorations. Everything is so pretty. Also the Christmas. - Marylee

• Purplemoon
    13 years ago

Pat, your Easter Hutch decor is just beautiful. How could I not love bunnies and birds tho! But the way you arranged the vignettes...WOW, I love each one! That hutch is a GREAT place to decorate. I'd love to have one but no place I could. :o(

I love how the wood background shows off all the white in the decorations. But at the same time, I also love Candy's idea of doing something "changable". That would bring new interests to the different vignettes.
    As for painting, the color I like is a pale sage green, instead of white. Sometimes white can be so stark,
    and other times it just wouldn't work well with white decor like you used. The pale green would go with anything.
    Tho I still favor Candy's idea.

I love your hutch! (and your corner one, Candy)
    hugs, Karen

• jeannespines
    13 years ago

Oh my...pat...you have a beautiful collection here! I'm afraid if you painted the background white, your collection just wouldn't look so grand....would blend right in.

My first thought was to choose a wallpaper that you really like ... with a simple pattern that could work for all seasons. And then, I read PM's suggestion of a pale green...& since you're a gardener, you may like that color...it would look very good as a background!...or another color of your choice.

I love the painted set that your Mom gave you when you were a young Mom...those pale pinks & blues are beautiful!
    But I also love all the "white" bunnies you have...& how you've added dishes & flowers as accents. Your green birds are really a nice addition to all...wonderful cabinet! TFS! Jeanne S.

candy...your cabinet is way cool, too!

• ladypat1
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Candy, I love your Christmas Hutch. I am thinking about a temporary paper. You all are right about white just not working, especially since I have milk glass I work into most of my hutch stuff. I like the idea of a pale sage green, Karen. Would that look ok with Blue and white? see the photo below:

Or I was thinking maybe a brown paint/glaze type thing, get rid of the reddish grainy oak, but still a darkish background?

I appreciate your ideas. Thank you.

Pat

• Purplemoon
    13 years ago

When I was picking a sage for my Dad's room, I went online and looked at rooms painted with sages, and made particular note of things IN the room that looked good with it. I was surprised how it all worked with the sage I chose. (its "grey based" by the way. some is yellow instead).
    I got the small test jars of several sages and painted large squares to be sure how they looked. The one I thought was the lightest from the Internet, was the darkest and looked totally grey on the wall!!! If I were you, I'd do a small test area, on cardboard even, and sit it behind some of your things to get a true idea if you'd like it.

But if you wonder how blue and green look together, just ask Mother Nature, she's the expert with those two. ;o)
    hugs, Karen

• phonegirl
    13 years ago

Pat, your hutch is stunning the way you decorate it with all your bunnies, birds and dishes. I love the white and green and also the blue dishes you showed. I just bought the white birds but was to late to get in on the pretty green ones.

I like Candy's idea of being able to change out the colors in the back ground. I think this would be a nice start if you are undecided on a solid color to paint it. I also like sage green but not sure it would show off your blue dishes as much.

Punk

• plainjane425
    13 years ago

Pat, the rest of the hutch turned out just lovely. You have such a beauiful collection and I love all the little vignettes you created. I have green bird envy - (haven't seen any yet)now I will be on the look out. You have the most adorable white bunnies.
    Everything is so delicate and soft looking and just screams 'Spring' !
    I like how you displayed your Blue & White ..(my first love in dishes) it all looks so impressive.
    I can understand your feelings about painting the back of your hutch or not. I have a white hutch that DH made many yrs ago when I lived in a very old house..it originaly had glass doors (very counry) It's Maple and had a light stain...after many years I removed the doors and painted it white and painted the back Butter Yellow. I used my white stoneware and also my Blue & White. It looked really nice. But I tired of 'that look' and painted the back a soft green...but then found it didn't do justice to my Blue & White or my new collection of Pink & White...so that's when I decided to do the back white. I know everyone has said the white might be too stark...however, I love it.
    I find it to be the perfect 'backdrop' for how I use it and change it. (Holidays & Seasons).
    When I use my white stoneware...I usually pair it with other accents for color. This works for me and I haven't tired of it at all. Candy's idea of choosing different papers might be a good idea, if you don't want to commit to a color just yet.
    I've posted a couple of pictures of the white hutch with the painted white back and also when it was painted green. You can see for yourself the different looks it took on.

Last Christmas...White Back

With Blue & White with Green Painted Back

Last Easter with White Back...

I hope this didn't make things worse for you...lol
    I'm sure you'll make the right decision to your liking.

jane

• Purplemoon
    13 years ago

Jane, I think your pictures were really a big help. At least seeing them does that for me. I like the white background. And Candy's idea of using temporary colors with fabric or wallpaper on cardboard would still work if a different look was wanted. Would be so easy to do that.

So I withdraw my vote for green, make it white. LOL.
    hugs, Karen

• ladypat1
    Original Author
    13 years ago

OK, Great ideas here! Thanks Karen and Jane. I think my next step next weekend will to get cardboard and paints, and start painting samples of white and sage green. Anybody have any names of sage green samples? This will actually be fun, and I was dreading the decision. Thank you so much ladies! I'll get back with sample pics in a week or so. Oh, and Jane, I want your dishes, all of them!Just beautiful the way they are all arranged each season.

Pat

• nana2010_gw
    13 years ago

Pat I love how you decorated your hutch for Easter.
    I'm no help when it comes to helping you choose a color for the back of it.
    NanaK

• jeannespines
    13 years ago

WOW! Lots of GREAT ideas! Love your pics, too, Jane! I can really see white now with your blue & white dishes... would have to experiment w/Easter decor cause you don't have big plates w/color separating the back with each vignette! Have fun, pat! And if you both tire of your dishes, send them to me! I've got a nice buffet! LOL! Jeanne S.

• plainjane425
    13 years ago

Glad this was helpful to you Pat...I'm excited to see how your color experiments turn out and what your final choice is. Again, like the others said, changing the backing with paper might work better for you if you're not sure you want to commit to a specific color. For me, white is my never tiring background...that works with many other colors and moods, and it does look different every time I change it.

Karen.. I like seeing something too, and then take it from there. Then there are times when I 'see it in my mind' and go for it!! Kind of like a split personality!! lol

I didn't want to complicate things with the pictures, but thought it might be helful since I had both the colors on the back of the hutch that were being discussed.
    That darn ole hutch has seen so many changes to it's character, that I'm surprised it hasn't 'Picked Itself Up and Ran Off ' !

jane

• Marlene Kindred
    13 years ago

First of all, I LOVE all of your bunnies and other Easter decor! The little bunny in the cabbage bowl with the brown tipped nose is just darling. Now, for one more mix in the hutch question....you could always put fabric at the back of the hutch and paint the shelves themselves white. I had a friend who actually used cardboad cut to the size of the back of her hutch shelf openings and then she would pull the fabric tightly over the cardboard and tape it on the back with duct tape. Worked like a charm and she could change it out whenever she wanted a new look or if the fabric got dirty (which I never noticed if it did).

• Purplemoon
    13 years ago

Pat, I ended up choosing Sherwin Williams Svelte Sage. I also had them mix it up 25% darker for me, since I tend to like walls a bit darker. But I went with the regular anyway in Dad's room. I love the color and am thinking of painting this room (little den of mine) the shade darker of it. But the Svelte sage might not be a light as you'd want on the hutch, I was thinking a very pale sage green tho don't know names of any.
    You might want to look into some whites just tinted sage green also. Gee, I think I am just adding to the confusion.

hugs, Karen

• plainjane425
    13 years ago

Pat, you could always do a 'wash' over the wood.
    You could use a green wash, or even white it would add a hint of color instead of painting it opaque...Just a thought. (to add more confusion) !! lol

jane

• jeannespines
    13 years ago

I am just LOL! (& smiling BIG).. This is great! I love meetings like this when everybody has "input!" So cool! No matter what, your cabinet & accessories are both gorgeous! Jeanne S.

• Purplemoon
    13 years ago

Our new motto...
    "If we can't enable you, we will confuse the heck out of you".

LOL

• plainjane425
    13 years ago

Jeanne...Karen... LOLOLOL !! YEP >> You Got That Right!

jane

• excessfroufrou
    13 years ago

Your hutch is beautiful with the wood background. But I'm all about changing things up, I like Marlenes idea about changing the background with fabric and painting the shelves white. Your collection of bunnies is awesome, I love the pieces with the cabbages, too cute.
    Frou

• ladypat1
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Ok, just checking in. There will be no progress this weekend on painting the inside of the hutch like I had planned. We are going to have our first 70-80 degree weekend and no rain, so I will be outside all weekend,and then crawl into the house to collapse. I am sure we will have some rainy or cold weekends yet, so I will experiment then. I have so appreciated and enjoyed your help with this experiment. Back at you later,

Pat

• Oakley
    12 years ago

I'm with slinky, white is the best color. I love your hutch but it looks unfinished. A white background frames anything you put in there perfectly. If you have something dark against the brown, you can't see it. If you have white against the white, you can.

Here's my hutch, with a variation of colors from my glassware.

Sponsored
Ed Ball Landscape Architecture
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars30 Reviews
Exquisite Landscape Architecture & Design - “Best of Houzz" Winner
More Discussions