Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
phonegirl_gw

Need Your Opinions, Please

phonegirl
13 years ago

I made this Easter Egg Topiary for a friend and need to know what it needs? Different colored ribbon? To late to change the color of grass. Wish I lived close to shopping and I would of bought completely different colored eggs. I did splatter the eggs with two colors of brown paint to help hide the seams. Didn't work totally but helped.

I'm up to any ideas you might have. After looking at the picture I'm going to see if I can add more grass on the right side. Oh, do you think the Easter grass is to wild and needs a hair cut?

TIA, I'll be waiting to hear what you think.

Punk

Comments (17)

• Purplemoon
    13 years ago

Well, Punk, I'm one of the most opinionated gals you'll ever meet. LOL. So jumping right in here. Normally 'yellow' makes me head the other way.. and when the top part came into view on my screen I was thinking "ummmm, no". But then the whole piece came into view and I really liked it. A LOT. Personally I prefer the grass being a bit on the wild side! And the mottled effect on the eggs is perfect. I think your friend will love it.

hugs, Karen

• luvstocraft
    13 years ago

That's a gorgeous cup and saucer, Punk, is it Old English Roses? I would probably have tried to pick up the colors from the flowers and leaves in the cup, but the pastels are very Spring looking. I would not have thought about using the yellow grass either, but I'm always too "traditional" all the time. I like the spattered eggs, and I'll bet your friend loves it. Luvs

• plainjane425
    13 years ago

Punk...I agree with Karen & Luvs..I think the whole combination works well and is very pretty. The eggs came out really good too.
    The only problem I have with it....I'd be wanting to take it apart after Easter, so I can use that pretty cup over and over..but that's just me! lol..
    You're always so thoughtful in what you do, and
    I agree, your friend will love it.

jane

• jeannespines
    13 years ago

I don't know anything about topiaries ... but my first thought was, I would want to use that beautiful cup & saucer over & over (like jane)! LOL!

I have "spackled" eggs before so I think these you did look great in the pic, anyway. Looks Springy to me, too! Jeanne S.

• oldalgebra
    13 years ago

Here's the problem:

You need to make TWO of them, one for each end of the table or buffet!

• phonegirl
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Karen, thanks for all your comments on the eggs and grass. I wouldn't of used yellow grass but it seemed to go with the c & s better than the other colors.

Luvs, yes it is Royal Albert Old Country Roses. These little pastel eggs were the only ones I had. I may try to find some metallic eggs when I head to the city on Thurs. for an appointment. I could pull the dowel out and keep this one for myself.

Jane, this friend has a place setting for 12 with all the extra pieces. I made her the rose topiary last year and thought she could change it out for Easter. I never use cups like these so laughed at you wanting to use it over and over.

Jeanne, funny that you want to use this type of cup too. Guess I'm just into a mug for coffee or tea. Keeps me from having to refill as much.LOL I like eggs with something on them and had never used the plastic ones before, have you?

OA, this would be a great idea but this friend only has a 2' or maybe 2.5' buffet in the center between her china closets where it will set.

Thanks everyone for the feedback on this project. Her birthday is Apr. 11 and I may wait and give it to her for that.

Punk

• Marlene Kindred
    13 years ago

Well, I think the whole idea is just too cute Phonegirl! So, give us some detail....did you glue foam into the cup and did you use a styrofoam ball and glue everything to it? It's really cute and the idea could be used for lots of holidays! So....details please for those of us who like to "steal" ideas!

• kathleen_li
    13 years ago

Maybe wrap some ribbon or these leafy like garland I found around the dowel?.
    It is really very pretty!

• phonegirl
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Marlene, that's exactly how I made it. The top styrofoam ball is a size larger than the ball in the cup. Glued the s balls on the dowel and bottom one in the cup. Glued between the eggs and poked grass in. Made the bow with wire and added two more lenghts tied around the center of it and pressed the wire up under the top piece. I did trim the ribbons.

This is the one I made last year with roses and moss if you care to look. Started with s balls and glued it together.

Kathleen, wonderful idea to add greenery to the dowel. I will have to find some smaller leaves and try adding this. Thanks.

Punk

• plainjane425
    13 years ago

Punk, I was remembering the one you made for your friend last yr...and loved it. Now I see you posted it again...
    it's even more lovely than I remembered. I also remember loving that Tea Set too!
    Your friend is going to love this new one too for her birthday.

Kathleen..yours is beautiful too..nice idea using the greenery.
    jane

• nana2010_gw
    13 years ago

Gosh Punk, What a fun topiary. Your friend is so lucky. It is so different from the one you made last year. I wasn't here last year so that one is new to me.
    Kathleen, I love the one you made too, so much talent and creativity on this forum!!
    NanaK

• jeannespines
    13 years ago

Ah, YES! Now I remember (seeing your pic) ... that one for your friend with roses...GORGEOUS! You are a talented lady, punk! TFS that reminder pic!
    Jeanne S. (& nope, only speckeled "wooden" eggs)

• Marlene Kindred
    13 years ago

Thanks...I never know if people have little secrets for doing their crafts. I seemed to remember that hot glue would melt styrofoam balls a lot....you are using hot glue, right?

• phonegirl
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Marlene, I have the cool glue gun but used my hot glue gun on this with no problems whats so ever. Do you plan on making one? Be sure and share if you do.

Jeanne, the wooden eggs are always quit spendy so I haven't purchased many. I do like them better than the plastic tho. Sorry about the super size photo of last years topiary. Guess I didn't resize it before!

I'm heading to the city early in the morning and so hope I can find some foil looking or metallic ones. I'll be asking for input if it changes. Thanks for all your support on this.

Punk

• jeannespines
    13 years ago

Do you have a Hobby Lobby? They run 40% coupons every other week or so...that's where I've bought the unfinished wood eggs in packages...where they have wood spindles, wheels, & bunches of diff wood shapes. Jeanne S.

Oh, also, punk, I've bought the foil wrapping for Easter egg decorating for g'kids before...maybe you could use that on the plastic ones???

• phonegirl
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Jeanne, we don't have a HL near us. Your foil wrapping sounds pretty neat. Any idea where I could find some? I've never seen any before. I did look for eggs with no luck on Wed.

DF's showed up tonight and took us out to dinner. She loved the cup with the pastel eggs but said she would let me deliver so I can still change the eggs on this.

Punk

• jeannespines
    13 years ago

The foil wrapping kits I found were just like buying those little kits of egg color tablets on a cardboard pkg. I saw them & thought they wouldn't be nearly as time-consuming or messy w/the gr'kids...been a couple yrs ago but I would think they still sell them with egg decorating stuff like at Dollar stores & such or WallyWorld? Lookin' forward to seeing your stuff...I changed Dollbaby last night...so will have some pics soon, too. LOL! Jeanne S.

Sponsored
More Discussions