Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
black_thumb

How did they do that ?!!!

black-thumb
15 years ago

Ok ladies you all are so creative, I am hoping that you will help me figure out just how this was done. I love the idea and would like to use it someday down the line but I just can't figure out how they get the table to stay put and not tip over when someone on one side of the table leans on it with their elbow or something.

I was thinking the center was a solid round piece which is what I would do and then just cover that whole area with the center piece but it seems like thats all roses too.

Anyone got any bright innovative ideas on how to accomplish this? Do you think it would work on a rectangular table that seats about 18 to 20 people? It would probably take two center pieces to hold it up huh?

Thanks bunches!!!

Comments (18)

• black-thumb
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Pictures would be nice huh? Sorry the Tylenol P.M. is kicking in on me. :)

• black-thumb
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Ok now I'm thinking perhaps square tables that seat eight would be better since the cost of a long piece of glass would be expensive. Plexiglass I think would take away from the elegance of the table.

• jaybird
    15 years ago

I'm guessing that the glass has individual pillar supports between it and the other table surface. Since they would be covered with flowers (or tulle with twinkle lights or something) you could even use bricks for the support BUT, the bottom table would have to be low enough to allow for the upper table top to not be too tall. You would also have to make sure that the bottom table is not too short for them to get their knees under it comfortably...yikes, what am I getting you into :^)
    MANY times, I have seen patio tables that are a bit short to sit at comfortably with dining chairs, so you may be able to beg or borrow one of those! HTH

• dreamgoddess
    15 years ago

When I did my Winter Wonderland tablesetting, this was my dessert table. I used several votive cups placed all around the table to support the glass.

I'm not sure how well this idea would work on a dining table though. I would really be afraid of someone accidentally toppling the glass.

Here is my table...

{{gwi:1414421}}

• dreamgoddess
    15 years ago

Sorry, I moved the photo without thinking it would delete it...

{{gwi:1414421}}

• oldalgebra
    15 years ago

I agree with dreamgoddess and jaybird. I think they put pillars (the equivalent of votives all around the table. Most likely, there is at least one under each of the place settings. And of course, they're in the center too.
    If they're made of glass, then you can stuff a rose inside each glass, as well as around each glass, and the rim of the glass is the only thing that would show if any of the guests went snooping.

• jaybird
    15 years ago

Those 1$ square glass votive holders from Dollar Tree would work too. They are good sized, deep enough and pretty tough(I dropped a box full of them after a party, and they didn't break :^)... Good idea DG and OA! (Blackthumb, if you live in Central Texas I have a bunch of those that you can borrow)

• black-thumb
    Original Author
    15 years ago

See I knew I came to the right place for great ideas! Thanks so much. The one thing I worry about is if someone pushes the table from the side and it slides. How would you keep it from moving? I thought about some clips or something hidden under the leaves but clips are kinda bulky. I emailed the site that I got the photo from asking them how they did it but they never responded.

Oldalgebra I love the idea of the votive with a flower inside. DreamGoddess I can't see the photos but I think I've seen your picture somewhere before or maybe one like it. I know I have it saved on my computer. :)

Jaybird I hadn't even thought about the height of the table. Thanks for that reminder. The dollar tree would be a great place to shop for something like this. Thanks for the offer but I'm far far away from Texas. :)

• ncnana
    15 years ago

I saw this somewhere, the BHG site maybe? Is that where you saw it? I was thinking there were directions, but maybe they weren't complete enough. It's very pretty I hope you get it figured out. - Gail

• jaybird
    15 years ago

You could put the waffley looking rubber shelf padding on the bottom under the votives, and if you were careful, you could use those clear rubber dots on the top of the glasses. All of which should keep the thing stable!

• mary_ruth
    15 years ago

WOW!!! That is all I can say about that table setting! WOW!

• black-thumb
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I've been thinking about this and it seems to me the best and safest way to get this done would be to start from scratch. As in building the table itself. The idea I have in mind seems like it would solve all the problems. I'll have to try and draw it out, scan it into my computer and then post it. All of your great ideas is what got me thinking. :)

• black-thumb
    Original Author
    15 years ago

No it wasn't on BHG it was a wedding decorating company site. The lugnuts won't give up any info on how they did it though.

WOW was my reaction when I first saw it too! Total elegance.

• luvstocraft
    15 years ago

Blackthumb, it's too bad Dreamgoddess' pictures didn't work, because she did this on a smaller table and it was gorgeous. Maybe she can repost the pictures again.

As several of the others have said, you just support the glass top with vases or votive holders then tuck your flowers, lights, etc. between your table and the glass. You wouldn't use anything too tall because like Jaybird said, you don't want to make the table too high.

I also just saw an idea for using a glass topped table with a long floor length tablecloth and putting a lamp with the bare bulb underneath it so it is lighted from below. It looked pretty too.

Luvs

• black-thumb
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Ok here is what I've come up with. Pics first then explanation. Mind you I'm starting from scratch.

What you do is purchase some wood. build a table out of it ( this way you can get the height just right) it doesn't have to be fancy since it will be covered with the table cloth.

On top of that you glue the base boxes in the center and one at each corner. ( this makes the table one solid stable piece)

Around that you glue to the table top the styrofoam stuff you can stick the flowers down into. (now we have a flowered covered base that won't shift or move)

Then attach the glass to the top of the base boxes so that they don't shift and no one can flip it by leaning on one corner. (either by glue or some sort of whole and key style with the hole being in the base and the rods attached to the bottom of the table)

The corners of the table with the smaller base boxes can be covered with a flowers and ribbon tied in a bow. Like this but on a much much much smaller scale.

So what do you think? Any ideas to add to improve the plan?

• black-thumb
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Oh yeah the center pieces will cover the box bases in the center of the table so all you see is the flowers.

• oreos_mom
    15 years ago

Black-Thumb, I saw a photo of a table similar to the effect you're trying to achieve. They used a large round table. In the center of the table, they placed a large glass bowl turned upside down. Underneath the bowl, they placed silk flowers and those small led lights. Then they took heavy glass sundae cups turned upside down and placed them all around the outside diameter of the table and put flowers and led lights in them also. The cups were maybe a couple of inches from where the edges of the glass top would be. Silk flowers, glass "diamonds" and led lights were scattered all across the table top and then a heavy piece of beveled glass was placed on top of the bowl and sundae cups. The sundae cups and bowl were all the same height. Sundae cups aren't very tall, so it didn't raise the glass top up so high that gravity was a problem..lol. If you wanted to do a table like the picture you posted, you could put cups all over the table and hide them with the flowers, but I would def try to use some of the battery operated led lights to "glam" it up a little bit. Hope this helps.

Susan

• paintingfool
    15 years ago

I love this idea. I have a glass table that would slide around on the base so I purchased these small clear rubber dots that are made to keep the glass from moving around. It worked perfectly. You could use those dots on your votives or sundae glasses, whatever you choose to use. Then put your place setting over each of the votives so they can not be seen from above. I am sure those plates are covering something. Good luck.
    B

Sponsored
Snider & Metcalf Interior Design, LTD
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars23 Reviews
Leading Interior Designers in Columbus, Ohio & Ponte Vedra, Florida
More Discussions