Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dining_delight

Funeral reception centerpieces

dining_delight
15 years ago

I volunteered to come up with some centerpieces for a funeral tea for the father of a friend who is a prominent member of our congregation. Has anyone else ever had to do this? I've done it on a much smaller scale but this time there will be about 16 tables as well as the buffet table. I need inexpensive ideas that are easy to do for that number of tables and the funeral is on the 13th so not much time!! Any suggestions would be appreciated!

DD

Comments (15)

• plainjane425
    15 years ago

I would keep it simple using clear Glass Containers ($store)
    the short square ones are nice. Filled with simple white
    flowers and perhaps some baby's breath.
    I found what I'm describing ...below

jane

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:1413774}}

• plainjane425
    15 years ago

Here's another one...using a white basket.
    jane

Here is a link that might be useful:

• plainjane425
    15 years ago

One more...

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:1413776}}

• pezabelle
    15 years ago

A quick and inexpensive fix is to use seasonal plants like Primroses and simply wrap the pot with scraps of material and tie with yarn or ribbon. If you don't have the material on hand and don't want to purchase it...check with friends, family and other church members. Floral paper/foil can also be used and most florists will sell it for a small fee. Most craft store also have it in stock.

For the main table just include other plants like a daffodil.

Hope this helps.

PezaBelle

• luvstocraft
    15 years ago

I love those white flower arrangements that Jane found. I was thinking that perhaps you could keep the expense down by using some greenery/flowers from your/friends yards.

You could also use a plate for a base and set some inexpensive candles on them, then just tuck some greenery, rocks or those half marbles around them. Draping long ribbon strands across the tabletop will add a decorative touch for not much expense.

I'm sorry for your friend's loss, she is fortunate to have you there to do this for her.

Luvs

• dining_delight
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks so much for all your suggestions.

Jane, I had thought of white flowers as they seem more "subdued" for a funeral. However, I got a good deal on bunches of yellow tulips and as the man who died was Dutch, I thought they might be appropriate. Love the square glass vases and I do have quite a few rectangle and cylindrical ones.

Pezbelle, I actually went to scout out some primroses but only one place in town had the inexpensive kind and they were "past their prime". That would have been the most economical.

Luvs, sure would have been great to use greenery from friends' yards but they are covered in SNOW! I am going to use lots of candles though and I like your idea of using pebbles/rocks/glass beads somehow.

I have some ideas now which I will try out thanks to you helpful bunch! Will let you know what I come up with and hopefully take a pic or two.

Thanks again!

DD

• kathleen_li
    15 years ago

You can tell Luvs lives in a WARM climate! Lucky you!
    We have NO flowers this time of year, and the greens are brown from frost bite! :)

I love those white flowers, Jane..
    Tulips sound lovely, and appropriate..

I have done lots of centerpieces, but never for a funeral.

Here people either go to a restaurant after the burial, or back to a relatives home, but no centerpieces.

Sometimes if small baskets of flowers were sent instead of those standing pieces , they are brought back to the house and placed around...
    I am sure yours will look lovely..

• lynninnewmexico
    15 years ago

I'm late to this discussion, but really like both the white flowers in the simple square glass vases and the idea of using tulips since the deceased gentleman was Dutch . . . very appropriate. With your expertise, I know the end results will be lovely and much appreciated.
    Lynn

• dining_delight
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Here are some pics of what I came up with. They look pretty simple but they had to be with so many tables to do and a limited budget (plus, I think a funeral tea should be fairly "plain"). The best part was except for buying the tulips and a couple more bags of the pebbles, I actually had everything...DH could NOT believe I had that many vases. (I've collected them from Thrift Stores, etc and store them in a closet)

Here is one done in a rectanglar vase with pebbles

This was one in a cylindrical vase with faux ice chips

This was on the main buffet table

This was the large hall and number of tables I had to do

The dessert buffet table. We also had a table for the sandwiches and another for fruit plates and cheese/cracker plates.

I had a lot of compliments from guests and the family was really appeciative, even commenting on how fitting the tulips were since they were Dutch. Thanks again for all your suggestions! This is such a great place to bounce ideas off of and get new ones!

DD

• plainjane425
    15 years ago

DD..you did it Splendidly!! Everything was done so tastefully. The tulips were such a great idea and look lovely.
    Like your DH, I can't believe you had everything for all the tables..good for you.

• luvstocraft
    15 years ago

DD, they all look just perfect. I love how you set the doily off with the darker napkin underneath. Very tastefully done--you did a great job. I too am impressed that you had enough vases, doilies, and candle holders for that many tables! That sure made the project easier and much much less expensive. Luvs

• kathleen_li
    15 years ago

You did a great job, DD. That's a lot of people..We usually just have family and a few close friends..so no more than 40, and that's a lot..
    Different customs, different places..:)
    I am sure your friend was very appreciative!

• oldalgebra
    15 years ago

Oh gosh! What a wonderful thing you did. Your heart is showing.

• dining_delight
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thank you ladies for your kind comments. I am very happy that I agreed to do it. You know, you always want to "do something" when tragedy strikes someone you care about and with doing the simple centerpieces, it was something I felt I could do.

Afterwards, as the family already had so many flowers at their home(s), I ended up taking the tulips in vases to our church and set some of them around in different areas there as well. When the family came to church this a.m. they were touched by the significance of seeing the tulips around.

I am glad it worked out and one big lesson I learned is that I don't NEED anymore vases or candle holders!!

DD

• lynninnewmexico
    15 years ago

DD, you did a fine job . . . but then again, we knew you would! That was a huge room to do the flowers for! I'm glad you went with the tulips :~)
    Lynn

Sponsored
Foremost Siding & Exterior Design Solutions in Columbus
More Discussions