Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sangaree

Murphy's Law and the 'Holiday' Fairy

Purplemoon
13 years ago

"Anything that can go wrong, will go wrong"... according to Murphy. I don't like him much either. As that was definitely the case yesterday! Arrggghhh. My nearly new AC/Heating Unit went on the fritz. Parts have to be special ordered. So no heat late at night when I need it now, and will be a week. Thankfully weather is good, and house is fine from noon on. Next came plumbing problems, need to get the rooter service out and may have a broken pipe somewhere as well. Then Jason goes to the mortuary AND the cemetery to finalize Dad's services on Saturday only to find big mix-ups at BOTH places!! Fast solution at mortuary, just a miscommunication on their part. Major headache at cemetery regarding where the plot was...a plot that was bought many years ago by the way! Someone there had messed up marking it down. I am sooooo thankful that Jas has been handling all this stuff since Dad died, but never more-so than yesterday when he told me about these problems just days before the services!! I was really at my wit's end by the end of the day....thinking what else is going to go wrong now? .Then a box arrived on my doorstep. And once again, a special gift arrived at the most perfect time. I don't know HOW you Holiday-ers do this sort of magic! Suddenly my tears of frustration turned to tears of incredulous joy. In the box was a lovely fairy, and not just any fairy....This lady is a Purple Moon Fairy! She is so gorgeous, and such detail on her!!. Even her dress has little moons and stars on it. I have a tiny collection of special fairies here in a curio cabinet, and a small fairy garden out back, but I have never seen one like her before! She is truly the PERFECT one for me. And apparently our Slinkey-Jane thought so too when she sent her! What a very special gift, thank you from the bottom of my heart.

hugs, Karen

PS....I couldn't help but think that OA could probably set a Mishap Table in honor of Murphy!! LOL.

That thought restored my sense of humor at least.

Comments (19)

• marylee_2010
    13 years ago

Karen, what a wonderful gift and a beautiful, thoughtful thing for slinkey to do for you. You are blessed. Marylee

• nana2010_gw
    13 years ago

Gosh Karen, That Murphy is quite the guy. They say things happen in 3s so I hope your streak of misfortunes is over!! I sure am glad Jason found out about the mix ups before Sat. That little fairy Jane sent you is adorable. How very thoughtful!! I hope to get to DT to check out their fairies. Won't be for a few days tho, woke up to 8" of snow on the ground and it isn't over yet. YAY SPRING!
    NanaK

• phonegirl
    13 years ago

Karen, sounds like your precious fairy arrived just when you needed her. That Jane is a sweetheart with wonderful taste. The Purple Moon Fairy is beautiful and I know you will cherish her forever.

Hope Sat. is a beautiful day for DD's service. So glad Jason is there to take some of the stress off for you.

Good thing you live in Phoenix and not where Nana does having to wait a week to get parts for your AC/Heating Unit. Wishing you luck with no broken pipes when the Rotor Rooter makes it your way. We have this issue with my parents home and haven't rented it for a year. The estimate is 12-15,000 to fix it.Ouch!

Nana, so sorry you have 8" of snow and it's not over! We have been getting a little but it seems to melt for the most part the same day is arrives. Still a few snow banks here and there.

Well PM, hope today Murphy is tired and doesn't have time to play!LOL

Punk

• excessfroufrou
    13 years ago

I can't believe she found a Purple Moon Fairy, how very sweet of her. Sorry to hear about your problems, maybe what Nana2010 said about the three thing is true and your troubles are over for now. I saw this morning where Elizabeth Taylor died, so guess there will be two more celebrities, we'll see.
    Frou

• valleymagpie
    13 years ago

Jane, you sure have the gift of timing! I know that Karen will glow inside whenever she looks at that purple fairy. Small gestures can have a BIG meaning.

Karen, we all hope you're doing better (sounds like you are) and we expect that little fairy will chase Mr. Murphy away, at least for the time being!

- Magpie

• christmascandy
    13 years ago

What a thoughtful and absolutely perfect gift!! It obviously was made just for you and Jane was so sweet to find her and send her your way! Great timing too!

Great job Jane!!

Sorry to hear of Murphy's aggravations, but glad to hear Jason is handling things for you. What a wonderful son!

Nana, we don't have snow,(in fact we are way behind in our totals for the year) but we have been having horrendous wind!! Gusts up to 85-90 mph! I hate wind!

Karen, Good wishes coming your way for things to calm down and for Sat. to be a beautiful day for the celebration of your Dad's life.

Sat. is my 11th wedding anniversary, and the family is celebrating DGD's 5th B-day, so Sat. is obviously a very special day!

Blessings and hugs to you,
    Candy

• plainjane425
    13 years ago

Karen.. ..I'm with nana and everyone else about 'Murphy's Law' being over for you. I think you've had more than your share and it's time to move on to some happiness.
    So glad you had Jason to help resolve things for you. Like Candy said, what a wonderful son.
    I'm so glad the little Purple Moon Fairy put a smile in your very stressful day. That's what I was aiming for.
    Enjoy her always...I agree, I think she was made for you!

nana..I'm right there with you on the uggggg Snow! We had some on Monday and now today..Spring is certainly dragging it's tale..and Winter just won't give up!

jane

• jeannespines
    13 years ago

Do you believe in fairies? If you believe clap your hands.
    (James M. Barrie PeterPan)

I'm clapping! Love it! To better days ahead, Purplemoon. Jeanne S.

• luvstocraft
    13 years ago

I totally agree with what all the others have said. Enough from Mr. Murphy and what a wonderful, perfect little fairy for you. Jane, you found just the perfect gift for our Miss Karen! Good job!

Luvs

• Marlene Kindred
    13 years ago

Are you sure we aren't related??? I think so! I thought only I had days or even weeks like that? So sorry that everything went crazy at once, but oh so sweet, that a package arrived to change the tide. What a great thing for Jane to do...and to find a purple moon fairy is terrific!!

Hope things go well at your Dad's service on Saturday my friend...I'll be thinking about you and your family.

Hugs coming your way~

~M

• Purplemoon
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Sat is supposed to be 79 and sunny! We are having graveside services at 11 am.
    Jason is so good at taking charge and getting things done,
    but he's certainly experienced with doing a lot of big things the past 10 yrs. My DH would go with me to do stuff but he'd still let me be in charge, LOL. He's so darn laid-back and figures I know what I want done so I might as well do it. Sometimes that's good, sometimes not. It definitely would have been NOT if I'd found out the cemetery mistake. I'd probably have had a panic attack. LOL. But their screw-up was huge! Thank goodness the original plot (next to Suz's dad) we bought wasn't sold during the last half dozen years. Angels are watching us.

My Purple Moon Fairy is right here where when I look up from the keyboard, I see her. She makes me feel good.

Plumber is on the roof with rooter, hopefully that will take care of that problem. Tho still have to figure out the water in backyard area from a broken pipe. Hopefully its the sprinkler system and not a main pipe.

Murphy hopefully is sleeping. He's been busy in CA lately. I think the new law says "If It Can Break, It Will". sigh. right Luvs?

hugs, Karen

• kathleen_li
    13 years ago

It is beautiful, Karen! Sorry about the mishaps, it never fails. Will your dad be in the same place as your mom?
    What a blessing to have known your dad as a adult. Wonderful memories!

• Purplemoon
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Kathleen, my parents will be buried together. Literally.
    I have had Mom's ashes (beautiful marble urn) here with us the last 10 yrs. She hated being alone and I couldn't stand the idea of her in a cemetery that way. So the plan was to to bury her whenever Dad passed and they could be together. He wanted to be cremated too, and the mortuary have put his ashes in with hers for us! The headstone will have the engraving of "Together Forever" on it.

When I let her urn go to the mortuary a few weeks ago, I kind of felt like I was losing her again. And of course I also had emotional thoughts of letting Dad go. Tho I knew it was best to have this funeral. But I discovered something wonderful, for me, when making the arrangements with mortuary...they had these very TINY keepsake urns! Just 3" high, in different finishes. They put a small bit of both my parents ashes in a copper one (Mom loved and collected some copper pieces long ago). So I do have both my parents with me here at home, in a way. And when I am buried, their little urn will be with mine.

Hope this isn't too morbid sounding for some of you. But here's a photo of the 3" urn. I have it on one of a trio of shadow boxes in Dad's room, some more of my Cherubs are on the other boxes.

hugs, Karen

• phonegirl
    13 years ago

Karen, I think it's fantastic that your sharing details with all of us. The little angel and your new DM & DD Copper Urn is darling in the shadow box. Love the "Together Forever" that will be on their headstone. Such a wonderful thing to do for them!

Punk

• plainjane425
    13 years ago

Very touching Karen..
    I too love the 'Together Forever'.

Jane

• jeannespines
    13 years ago

Yes, they are with you "forever" ...what a lovely way to complete their journey & yours. Lovely, Karen. Hugs to Jason, too & your whole family...they've got you under their wings, too. TFS. Jeanne S.

• nana2010_gw
    13 years ago

Karen. What a wonderful way to remember your parents. They truly are together forever.
    When my sister died my niece had a tiny piece of her ashes put into a pendant [similar to the way they did mustard seeds]. I know Saturday will be difficult for you. You will be in my thoughts and prayers
    NanaK

• luvstocraft
    13 years ago

I love the idea of them being able to be buried together and the wording for the headstone is perfect. You always think of such loving ways of doing things. The write up for the newpaper was a wonderful tribute to your Dad's life as well.

Yes, Mr. Murphy did some of his mischief here too, garage door opener, water dispenser on fridge, and new fuel pump on DH's car! Then discovered tumor on my dogs eyelid and had to have surgery on him. Of all of it, he was my biggest concern and he's doing just great now! As for my bank account--well, let's just say those labor fees sure add up quickly. Like you, I'm praying it's all over for a bit and that Mr. Murphy is going to take a long long nap!

Hugs,
    Luvs

• Marlene Kindred
    13 years ago

I never knew about the little urns...a good idea I think. It's not morbid at all to share your thoughts and feelings with friends Karen. I'm glad you've found a way to fulfill your parents' wishes as well as be able to keep them with you.

Hugs,
    ~M

Sponsored
More Discussions