Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
milosmom_gw

my basement storage is done

milosmom_gw
14 years ago

With DH bust with other projects at the moment,

it was decided I would take on the basement storage myself.

It's now finished minus the general "tinkering" that

will be done as I work things into place but a few had

asked for pics and here they are.

It's not by any means designer but form is function.

I'm really happy with the way things turned out and I

think it will be much easier for me to use things now

that I can actually see them all instead of having to search.

Since I'm not allowed to play with the saw, wood was out

but I made do with a few easier purchases instead.

The left side looking directly at the whole wall...

The right side looking directly at the wall..

an extra cubby from a shelf I already had...

another bit of shelving space to the right of the little black cubby...

Comments (16)

• plainjane425
    14 years ago

MM... I LIKE WHAT YOU DID. I can't believe how fast you
    put this together.
    That's what I call 'GRAND STORAGE'..
    I like the shelving units that you have raised on the platforms.
    What a great idea. I don 't like anything placed on the floor in the basement. I also like that they have drawers that you can see into.
    I see the units that are hanging from above, seem to hold lots of your stuff. Did you hang them yourself, or did DH do that for you?
    Love, Love, Love how you can see everything and that you have things labeled. (my kind of organization too).
    This might have been hard work, but in the end, it will pay off Every DAy you go to get something!
    You did GOOD, and I'm so happy for you.
    Wow..now you have so much more space to get 'More Stuff'!
    jane

• phonegirl
    14 years ago

Your storage turned out great and I can't believe how much you have moved already. You rock lady! I'm so happy for you too. I love seeing all your tables so this should help so much.

I agree with Jane, now you have so much more space to get 'More Stuff'!

Punk

• milosmom_gw
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Jane:
    Thank you :).
    Fortunatly for my energy level, the upper level of shelves aren't hanging. Our house has a laid rock foundation with the cement block inner retaining wall. There is a fill dirt between the 2 that gave me just enough space to sit the shelves on
    the brick wall without having to anchor them in any other way.
    I agree about the placing of stuff on the floor. I couldn't really think of a better way around it but the blocks seem to work and all the drawered cabinets are screwed down to the wood platform sitting on the bricks to prevent any tipping accidents.

• party_music50
    14 years ago

AWESOME! even better that you could do it yourself and had the blocks to set everything on!

The shelving on the upper right looks like metal framing with glass shelves. Where did you find those?! I need some! And the upper left looks like you built some kind of rack system with PVC! is that true?

• oldalgebra
    14 years ago

That's amazing. Talk about making use of space! And the best part is that it makes use of the space for dishware and related items. Those plastic drawers are great. You can see EVERYTHING. That's a real help. When I went to reorganize my dishes, I found things I'd forgotten about long ago. I still don't have the great system you do. Southern California houses are built on concrete slaps, so no basements here. I'm sure jealous of your set-up.

• wandaredhead
    14 years ago

WOW!!!
    I'm so jealous!!!

To be able to find something without having to dig.

I know you're going to enjoy it.
    Congrats!

• kathleen_li
    14 years ago

That's great! I am very impressed...
    I love how you can see everything!
    I have many of those rolling chrome shelving units from Costco , and I still haven't organized them in the basement..I have to hunt for things!
    How far away do you live, you could come direct me! LOL

• milosmom_gw
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thank you for your comments. It was bit of a stretch for me to take this on and get it 'right' *meaning something didn't go crassshh* but all turned out well, though my back is killing me this morning. No ouch,no gain I suppose & it was very much worth it.
    PM: THe shelf on the right is another metal one with metal shelves. I think the camera flash reflected off making it look like glass.
    You're right, the one on the left is PVC and wire closet shelves. I already had it as I made it last year to cover in plastic and house all of my tiny plant seedlings and be able to drain the water off of them.
    Since I'm not "greenhousing" this year, this is its new purpose.
    I didn't move the dishes themselves down there as I have some spare space up here now that all the accessories can go down there.
    It's going to take some adjusting but I hope this works long term without me pushing out every square inch of space up here. LOL

• dawnp
    14 years ago

Thank you so much for posting this!

You should add it as a cross post on the Home Organization forum. They will love it!

I'm getting ready to clean out and organize my basement area. I actually called a home organizer to come and help. When I go down there to the storage area, I just turn around and walk out as it seems so overwhelming. So many things to carry up the stairs and get to Goodwill etc. I know she will help me get it all done. You have given me some great ideas. I have a lot of dishes, holiday deorations etc like you.

You should be very proud of yourself!

Dawn

• wandaredhead
    14 years ago

OOOhhhh, I love the PVC one.
    I didn't notice that before.

Light weight...easy to move yourself.

I live in a very high humidity area.
    That would work great!!
    Will never rust.

Thanks!!

• jeannespines
    14 years ago

MM...I am impressed! This is GREAT! You're going to love it! I consider myself a very organized woman...but I'm glad you can't see my computer/craft room! Thanks for the ideas! WAY TO GO! Jeanne S.

• luvstocraft
    14 years ago

That turned out fantastic and what allot of wonderful storage spaces you created. You deserve a huge pat on the back for figuring all this out and putting it in place. How wonderful to have that extra space to use for things you use less often, and yet be able to easily find them when you want. I am so envious--it's just wonderful! Luvs

• Purplemoon
    14 years ago

I can't believe all that storage space! Its GREAT.
    hugs, Karen

• luckygal
    14 years ago

That's a fantastic storage space MM - I love that you have different size bins and drawers as well as open storage - that will work so well with the various size things. You did so well to do that yourself - you should be proud! I'd love to come over and have you open each drawer to show off your stuff!

I understand that "no ouch, no gain" thing as we've been rearranging our house so the storage will eventually work better and I soon will have a dedicated craft room. Fortunately my DH is around and can do the heavy lifting for me but I still find it's a lot of "ouch" moving the smaller things.

• lynninnewmexico
    14 years ago

Be still my heart . . . look at all that wonderful storage! Great job, MM!!!!!! I think it was brilliant of you to use all clear containers! It must have been fun to get everything organized and displayed so nicely. I am pea-green with envy . . . but very happy for you too, ;^D
    TFS!
    Lynn

• talley_sue_nyc
    14 years ago

Cool!

In your bottom pic--it's too bad you don't have another shelf, bcs you could fit an entire extra row. (One of my pet peeves is that nearly every shelving set sold should really come w/ 1 extra shelf.)

Each of your existing shelves could slide down by 3 holes, easily.

I added a shelf to a unit like this by getting a length of that wire closet shelving and having it cut to fit, then attaching it to the holes in the frame using thick, thick cable ties. I tried to turn the shelving so that the lip actually sticks up in the back; that way it doesn't take up any vertical spacing.

But I have sort of heavy stuff, and it was bowing a little, so I turned it forward again. W/ your short length, you could do that easily.

If you leave the gaps, will you find yourself stuffing things on top of the containers, and then you can't get them out easily?

Here's the pic of my closet, and the shelves I added to the metal shelving unit:
    http://i23.tinypic.com/r1ei5s.jpg

Look at the left one, and see the white wire shelves mixed in w/ the gray metal ones.

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading Kitchen & Bath Remodelers in Franklin County, OH
More Discussions