Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dreamgoddess_01

My thrifty find

dreamgoddess
13 years ago

I stopped in my favorite antique shop a couple of days ago just to look around. The owner's daughter is having a yard sale tomorrow and she had some of the items for the sale stored in the shop.

She had this Carousel gumball machine and I snatched it up. I wanted to use vintage valentine images and lots of candy to decorate for V-day in my kitchen, so I thought the gumball machine would be perfect to add.

Best of all, it was only $1.00! It's in excellent condition with only two tiny spots where there is paint loss. It's stamped copyright 1985 Carousel on the metal key.

I did a bit of browsing on eBay and prices ranged from $9 up to $99 for this particular model. I think I got a fantastic bargain for only a buck.

Oh and the silver piece on top, I added that to it cause I didn't like seeing the big screw on top of it where you open it. The silver piece is a lid for something, but I don't have a clue what...I found it at the thrift store the same day. I polished it and it's a little bright now, but I figure it'll tarnish again and be the perfect color to blend with the metal on the gumball machine.

{{gwi:1412543}}

{{gwi:1412545}}

Comments (15)

• marylee_2010
    13 years ago

dreamgoddess, your valentine decorations are really nice. Your gumball machine was a good buy and the silver piece on top looks just right. Thank you for sharing. - Marylee

• sunnyca_gw
    13 years ago

Lovely vintage looking display. That was a real bargain on the gumball machine & the silver top piece really gives it a vintage look. GKs will love it!! You will be very popular in coming days!(fortune teller Jan)

• plainjane425
    13 years ago

I love Vintage and your Valentine display is just lovely.
    Great deal on your gumball machine and very clever idea with
    the silver cover - looks like it was made that way.

jane

• yachter123
    13 years ago

Wow, that is a great bargain & great idea for a vintage kitchen display. The silver piece looks like it came that way, if you hadn't told us, we would not have known!

I bet your going back for the yard sale!!!

• phonegirl
    13 years ago

Dream, your gumball machine is wonderful in your pretty vignette. Great buy and your little top just finished it off. Love your framed Valentine. Very pretty doilies.

Punk

• Purplemoon
    13 years ago

You did great 'treasure shopping' as Luvs calls it. That gumball machine was a real find. So neat you thought you top it off! I like all the vintage, Victorian type things.

Have fun with grandkids and the gumballs. LOL.
    hugs, Karen

• oldalgebra
    13 years ago

DG,
    That's the perfect item to build around a Valentine's vignette.
    Your lucky $1.00 find makes me want to look for one for my son's home office. He still loves M&M Peanuts to this day. Maybe I'll give him one filled with M$Ms. Don't think I'll come across one soon enough for this Valentine's Day, but perhaps for the next.
    I like eBay, but the shipping on something so heavy must be pretty painful.
    Wish me luck!

• christmascandy
    13 years ago

Very Cute display. That gumball machine was a great buy! I like the vintage valentines. That lamp is gorgeous. Great idea to create this "sweet" sweets display. LOL

OA, I see gumball machines at the thrift stores quite frequently. You might try some thrift shopping.

TFS,
    Candy

• Marlene Kindred
    13 years ago

Very nice display! Love the gumball machine and the Victorian prints too!

• luvstocraft
    13 years ago

Congrats on your great bargain! It looks great in your vignette. I'm sure loving that plate too--very pretty! Luvs

• excessfroufrou
    13 years ago

What a great find and a bargain to boot. I like the vignette, very pretty. That plate is lovely, you need to come for a visit, I have stacks and stacks of painted china plates that I don't display anymore.
    Frou

• dreamgoddess
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Frou, just feel free to pack those plates right up and send them to me! I'll be more than happy to display them for you! LOL

• kathleen_li
    13 years ago

I am not seeing anything. It says it has been deleted???

• dreamgoddess
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Oops, Kathleen! I moved the photos to my valentine album and forgot it would take the photos off. Here they are again...

• jeannespines
    13 years ago

LOVELY, dream! only u can make a gumball machine look so GOOD!

Sponsored
More Discussions