Return to the Holiday Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
My thrifty find

Posted by dreamgoddess (My Page) on
Fri, Feb 4, 11 at 22:46

I stopped in my favorite antique shop a couple of days ago just to look around. The owner's daughter is having a yard sale tomorrow and she had some of the items for the sale stored in the shop.

She had this Carousel gumball machine and I snatched it up. I wanted to use vintage valentine images and lots of candy to decorate for V-day in my kitchen, so I thought the gumball machine would be perfect to add.

Best of all, it was only $1.00! It's in excellent condition with only two tiny spots where there is paint loss. It's stamped copyright 1985 Carousel on the metal key.

I did a bit of browsing on eBay and prices ranged from $9 up to $99 for this particular model. I think I got a fantastic bargain for only a buck.

Oh and the silver piece on top, I added that to it cause I didn't like seeing the big screw on top of it where you open it. The silver piece is a lid for something, but I don't have a clue what...I found it at the thrift store the same day. I polished it and it's a little bright now, but I figure it'll tarnish again and be the perfect color to blend with the metal on the gumball machine.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: My thrifty find

dreamgoddess, your valentine decorations are really nice. Your gumball machine was a good buy and the silver piece on top looks just right. Thank you for sharing. - Marylee

o

Lovely vintage looking display. That was a real bargain on the gumball machine & the silver top piece really gives it a vintage look. GKs will love it!! You will be very popular in coming days!(fortune teller Jan)

o

I love Vintage and your Valentine display is just lovely.
Great deal on your gumball machine and very clever idea with
the silver cover - looks like it was made that way.

jane

o

Wow, that is a great bargain & great idea for a vintage kitchen display. The silver piece looks like it came that way, if you hadn't told us, we would not have known!

I bet your going back for the yard sale!!!

o

Dream, your gumball machine is wonderful in your pretty vignette. Great buy and your little top just finished it off. Love your framed Valentine. Very pretty doilies.

Punk

o

You did great 'treasure shopping' as Luvs calls it. That gumball machine was a real find. So neat you thought you top it off! I like all the vintage, Victorian type things.

Have fun with grandkids and the gumballs. LOL.
hugs, Karen

o

DG,
That's the perfect item to build around a Valentine's vignette.
Your lucky $1.00 find makes me want to look for one for my son's home office. He still loves M&M Peanuts to this day. Maybe I'll give him one filled with M$Ms. Don't think I'll come across one soon enough for this Valentine's Day, but perhaps for the next.
I like eBay, but the shipping on something so heavy must be pretty painful.
Wish me luck!

o

Very Cute display. That gumball machine was a great buy! I like the vintage valentines. That lamp is gorgeous. Great idea to create this "sweet" sweets display. LOL

OA, I see gumball machines at the thrift stores quite frequently. You might try some thrift shopping.

TFS,
Candy

o

Very nice display! Love the gumball machine and the Victorian prints too!

o

Congrats on your great bargain! It looks great in your vignette. I'm sure loving that plate too--very pretty! Luvs

o

What a great find and a bargain to boot. I like the vignette, very pretty. That plate is lovely, you need to come for a visit, I have stacks and stacks of painted china plates that I don't display anymore.
Frou

o

Frou, just feel free to pack those plates right up and send them to me! I'll be more than happy to display them for you! LOL

o

I am not seeing anything. It says it has been deleted???

o

Oops, Kathleen! I moved the photos to my valentine album and forgot it would take the photos off. Here they are again...

Photobucket

Photobucket

o

LOVELY, dream! only u can make a gumball machine look so GOOD!

jeannespines greeting

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Holiday Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here