Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
excessfroufrou

Best Picture 1962

excessfroufrou
13 years ago

Lawrence of Arabia, this movie is so not me, I don't think there is even one woman in the whole 3 1/2 hours. That being said, I have an extensive collection of vintage middle eastern items from the 20's and 30's. So here is my table, it hints of an English tea in the desert. The only new thing on the table are the swirly glasses. The oil painting, $10.00 from an estate sale, and the camels are from my collection. I layered the scarves for a Arabian tent look. I bought the hat mannequin years ago from a dress shop. I have a whole tea set of the blue luster, it was my DM's. I found the gold mesh lantern cover at a GS for fifty cents. The square plates were a gift from DMIL. I had even more items that I wanted to use, but no room for.

Frou

Comments (13)

• jeannespines
    13 years ago

Frou! Frou! Hey, you've OUTDONE yourself! WOW! This is definitely an Oscar winner!!!!...Laurence of Arabia! & what a good yr...1962!

OMgosh, where to start...

The table covering...layered scarves...fringes...oh, so beautiful! And your collections of camels, the gold Egyptian Queen (?) & the blue lusterware ...everything is is GORGEOUS & perfect for your AAward t'scape!

I really like your place-settings...the layers of wicker..& the beautiful golden stemware & swirly pattern, too!

The oil-painting is a steal & what a great backdrop...love how you added to it & that lamp shade ...WOW! & then your palm plants...I am in awe of everything!

But, the striking piece is how you decorated that mannequin head! Jeepers!...quite surreal!!! & you found an Oscar to add to the table, too! Oh, this is fun! TFS, frou! Jeanne S.

• oldalgebra
    13 years ago

Frou,
    This is an amazingly exotic tablescape. Honestly, I feel like I'm in the tent with Lawrence right now. And his riveting blue eyes are right on me!

Everything evokes an Arabian mood. I can't believe how many different items you have, yet they all see to go together so well. That picture is a great background for it all. And the lantern is perfect too. Of course, you know I'm crazy about the place setting - from the placemats to the chargers to the really wonderful tea cups and tea cake plates. You know, I've been hoping to find a "deal" on flatware with wooden handles.

The camels look very vintage and remind me of movies that Sidney Greenstreet would be in (Casablanca?). Even your follage is on target.

What is the most unbelievable of all??? You have even have MORE ITEMS that you didn't put out.

• phonegirl
    13 years ago

Frou, WOW, this table is awesome! I'm loving everything on it. Your picture, plant and mannequin are perfect for the backdrop.

Your pictures are absolutely wonderful. Congrats on a job well done.

Punk

• plainjane425
    13 years ago

Frou... You've Produced an 'Oscar Winning' table!

This brings me back to when I saw this movie when it first came out in NYC, with DH while we were dating.
    Even tho there were no women in it...who noticed, at the time, I was all 'GaGa' over Omar Sharif!

First off, your oil painting is the perfect backdrop for this setting.
    The use of the ferns, Camels,Sphinx & Nefertiti gives it all such an exotic look. Your Blue Lusterware and glassware are beautiful and your dishes and flatware look amazing on the layered woven mats. I love how you used the exoctic fringed scarves too. Everything takes me to 'Another Place and Time'...I love it all.
    I get the sense that you had a ball putting it all together too.
    Bravo Performance!!

jane

• nana2010_gw
    13 years ago

Oh my gosh Frou!! What a fantastic table. It's great that you had everything but the glassware. So many wonderful things to look at. The blue luster ware is so pretty. The painting makes me feel like I'm at an oasis looking out at the desert.
    NanaK

• oldalgebra
    13 years ago

Frou, I came back to look at it again. It really looks like a movie set.

• luvstocraft
    13 years ago

What a fantastic job you did on this. Gosh, I just love it all. At first I thought maybe that was YOU peeking at us over the table! LOL What a fantastic painting job on that mannequin! Every item is just right. Sure hope Karen gets some pics of this award winning tablescape in the album for sure! Great job!

Luvs

• excessfroufrou
    Original Author
    13 years ago

It was a lot of fun doing this table. Jeanne, that Egyptian looking queen may be a king. I have three different ones like that, I thing they are Egyptian revival trinkets. The little Oscar was I had made for DS when he was a little guy taking dance lessons, the quote is to "the star of our lives". OA, I see that flatware every so often, I bought that at an estate sale, it is from Siam. I bought two sets totaling nearly 200 pieces, I gave DS one which he sold, I wish I would have known you then. Thanks Punk, I'm gonna wear the leaves off those palms dragging them around for tablescapes. Jane, your right about the piercing blue eyes, I just usually don't enjoy war movies. Luvs, I didn't even have to paint the mannequin, that is her original paint from the 30,s complete with "cootie garage" hair-do. I've added some pix of some of the items in their regular places at my house.
    Frou

medecor/100_2282.jpg" border="0" alt="Photobucket">

• phonegirl
    13 years ago

Frou, so glad you had fun with this table. Looks like you have alot more neat things alright. Another camel picture and that's a nice picture of the lady on the rock.

DGM had a little suitcase like yours I remember her using when she would come to visit. It may still be out in the garage.LOL Pretty purse and stole.

Amazes me how all of you put these items together and create such beautiful tables. Love it!

Punk

• jeannespines
    13 years ago

Gosh, Frou...you certainly do have a collection...was this one started by someone in your family? It is so lovely & I love the glass display cabinet...beautiful!

Adding the face scarf to your mannequin sure changed the whole expression of those eyes!...she looks so mysterious/a surreal quality in the t'scape but so innocent on the little table. I would love to sit at your t'scape...it is really so exotic...an Oscar performance!

I just Googled & watched the Carol Burnett "drapery" clip on GWTW that you posted on my Academy Award thread...so, so FUNNY! Thanks for sharing that memory...I can't remember ever seeing it before! Jeanne S.

• oldalgebra
    13 years ago

OK, now I have some questions:
    1) What in heaven's name is a cootie garage hair-do?

2) Who has the link to the Academy Award thread?

• jeannespines
    13 years ago

OA...the Carol Burnett thread I watched is GWTW part II...link below ...if that is what you are asking in question #2. Very funny video! Jeanne

Here is a link that might be useful: Carol Burnett GWTW

• excessfroufrou
    Original Author
    13 years ago

OA, here is another pic of the manne., the parts covering her ears are the cootie garages. I once knew an elderly lady and she told me about the cootie garage hair-do, all the rage of her youth, it was very popular in the 20s. I have since read this somewhere else. I guess this is where they kept their cooties.... If you look the dancing lady bookends in the earlier pic have the same hair-do.
    Frou

Sponsored
More Discussions