Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
oldalgebra

Happy Birthday, Grant Wood

oldalgebra
13 years ago

I don't know why, but I can't seem to make myself start a valentine tablescape. Just can't get in the valentine mood.

Here's a table I did just because I wanted to avoid Valentine's Day.

Here is a link that might be useful: Grant Wood's birthday table

Comments (10)

• phonegirl
    13 years ago

Sweet table you created. Love your paper-mach� hill you made, painted and decorated for this. It's always great to have a little history added.

The green bowls are wonderful for this table and look nice with your basket weave plates. Really like th easels for the name cards too.

Punk

• christmascandy
    13 years ago

Very cute table.
    The easels for the name tags are a clever touch.
    You did a good job translating the painting into a tablescape.

Okay "Sweetie", its Feb 8, you have 5 1/2 days left to get into the Valentine mood!! You can do it!! Think conversation hearts...So Fine, Get Real, Dare ya, No Way, Got Cha, Be Mine, LOL, Soul Mate, Cupcake, and finally, U Go Girl!!

You have choices, pink, red, burgundy, cream, white, even lavender.

Come on, we're counting on you!!

Subliminal message...Blog/Tablescape Thursday/Blog

LOL, do what you feel like, grins,
    Candy

• plainjane425
    13 years ago

I'm very familiar with GWood's background and work.
    Great Likeness in your Tablescape to his painting.
    I think he'd be tickeled.
    I always enjoy your tables because they not only look wonderful, but they always have a special meaning or connection to you. I also see the teacher in you ! : )
    I think you enjoy doing the 'abstract' in tables..rather than the 'Predictable'...maybe that's why you're struggling with putting a VDay table together...but
    I agree, you don't have much time..VDay is on it's way..
    Get Going!

jane

• jeannespines
    13 years ago

YES, OA, YOU CERTAINLY DO GRANT WOOD JUSTICE!!
    Your centerpc is quite unique...the rolling fields of Iowa...& the popcorn trees! Love it! Those weave plates are a fav of mine ...certainly bring images of "country". Here's a GW ptg I took a pic pf late summer...LOL ... g'kids loved it ,,, & big kids, too! TFS! Jeanne s.

• sunnyca_gw
    13 years ago

Nice tribute to an interesting artist! Great interpretation of his painting & inviting setting for a meal to boot! Jan

• oldalgebra
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks, everyone.
    The centerpiece is a little silly looking, I know. But I just HAD to do something other than Valentine's Day. I don't know what's wrong with me this year. It just seemed like there were so many Valentine's Day tables popping up everywhere. And they started appearing about January 15th.
    So, I just couldn't get my heart and mind around it. My grandchildren keeping asking where my valentine decorations are. Do you suppose I'm getting to old (cranky) to enjoy Valentine's Day. Oh, my!

Jeanne,
    That picture is a kick. I think it would be fun to do something like that for our annual Fourth of July party. Luvs recently sent me a link to a tutorial for making outdoor backdrops. The idea could be adapted into something like you posted above.
    I am a big fan of PVC construction: cheap, no special tools required, light-weight and portable. So, the put-your-head-in-here picture is something I can run with.

Here is a link that might be useful: Link from Luvs

• excessfroufrou
    13 years ago

I'm sorry you are not feeling the Valentine vibes this year. But what a creative tablescape you've created. I can't even start to imagine all the work that went into that hill. The little easels tie it all together. It takes me forever to put together a tablescape.You, Kathleen and Punk seem to be able to just churn them out like clockwork. Which is real lucky for us here on the forum.
    Frou

• nana2010_gw
    13 years ago

Cute table OA, It's a nice break from all the seasonal ones.
    Jeanne that picture is too funny.
    NanaK

• oldalgebra
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Actually, Frou, the hill took no time at all. I put some glue soaked paper towels over some clumps of newspaper and painted it green when it dried.
    You know how one of us will write, "It looks much better in real life"? Well, the hill looks much *cwappier* in real life. It's just that I felt committed once I got started and didn't want to abandon the idea. Ever happen to you?

Thanks for your encouraging words, none the less.

Ah, well. Live and learn.

• lynnencfan
    13 years ago

Cute cute tribute to a great artist - love it :) .....

Lynne

Sponsored
Michael Nash Design, Build & Homes
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars254 Reviews
Northern Virginia Design Build Firm | 18x Best of Houzz
More Discussions