Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
oldalgebra

Apothecary Jar/Cloche Pics

oldalgebra
15 years ago

I know I'm not the boss here, but I thought it might be nice to start a long-running apothecary jar/cloche post that everyone could add to once in a while. Every shape, every size, every theme is encouraged. I know you apothecary and cloche owners are out there. Share with us all! Just post your pics, or even better, post pics with accompanying explanations. Post as centerpieces or post as "free standing" vignettes.

Ready, set, go!

Here are two February themes.

Â

Comments (72)

• Bright199
    15 years ago

Look at this photo I found on the net. This person uses all kinds of things for displays...

• Jeane Gallo
    15 years ago

Purplemoon, I LOVE your valentine cloche. Your flair for decorating has really inspired me. Here are my cloches - last year's valentines and this year's too. And the one I did for halloween. I neglected to take a picture of the one I did for Christmas.

• bettymnz4
    15 years ago

Karen, I'm a longtime lurker who just registered yesterday.

It's amazing that you compose albums for our use!!!

• oldalgebra
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Say, everyone, look at the picture Bright199 posted again. What do you think the bases are made of? At first I thought they were thick, marble-like bases. Then I got the idea that maybe they were made of something that is covered with batting and fabric. What do you think?

Jean G, Karen already placed your second picture in the album. She's sure on top of things, isn't she!
    That display really caught my eye when I first saw it, and I like it even more now that I can see an enlarged picture. Who was the original owner of the brooch?

• Purplemoon
    15 years ago

OA, I think those bases are fabric covered too. It all is so 'old' and vintage look and very appealing. Thanks for sharing this with us, Bright.

And by the way, Everyone, please never hesitate to ask me to do something regarding any of our albums. I do these for all of you and if you have ideas or suggestions, then definitely let me know. I've said it before, these are YOUR albums.

Jeane, thanks for posting more pix. I did already have your Victorian one, I fell in love with that when you first posted it. And your adorable little one with his amazing curls in that picture.

Betty, welcome out of Lurkdom. Now you must stay out and play with us. LOL. You'll have more fun joining in too!

Question now for Everyone. Do you want photos of jars or glass vases that aren't "technically" cloches and apothecary jars, but used in the same way added to the album....or do you want me to keep it for just the two items? I have a Misc album for things that don't quite fit other albums. But I'll leave it up to the majority about this question.

hugs, Karen

• Jeane Gallo
    15 years ago

Hi, the original owner was my grandmother. But I don't think it is really old...not what I would consider old. I think maybe the brooch is 50 years old if I had to guess, but it would have been very inexpensive costume jewelry back then.

• oldalgebra
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Karen,
    I vote for all glass shapes and sizes to be put in one place.

Jeane, I love vintage jewelry. Most costume jewelry seems to broadcast the era in which it was created. I just love your piece.

OA

• luvstocraft
    15 years ago

Karen, great idea on a special album for these. I think the picture Bright posted should go in there for sure--very creative use of glass containers. ;o) Luvs

• Purplemoon
    15 years ago

Yes, Bright's photo definitely is a keeper, tho I think the big jar is a cloche anyway. I figure any jar or vase that does double-duty and can be decorated same as the real cloches or apothecary jars, probably should be saved for Inspiration. All of us love looking at any and all pix anyway, LOL.

By the way, I've tried to post new messages on GJ and here and I can't do it. Wonder if anyone else having a problem with that? Maybe too many new messages being posted on Garden Web tonight? Weird.

hugs, Karen

• ncnana
    15 years ago

You have all made my heart go pitty-pat. I have to invest in a jar or a cloche (also need some of those stacking plates, and several sets of dishes, and a place to store everything.

You have all done such clever and beautiful things. You are so inspiring. - Gail

• Purplemoon
    15 years ago

Gail..get the jar, the cloche, the stacked plates, some dishes, but don't worry about the storage space. You'll never have enough if you hang around here long!! LOL. But you will be in very good company, who will commiserate with you about needing more of it.
    (One desperate soul, who shall remain nameless, uses the trunk of her car to hide things from her DH. Hey, it works!)

hugs, Karen

• luvstocraft
    15 years ago

Hey, Karen, there are sure times when I WISH I still had a car with a trunk like the one who shall remain nameless. With an suv, there's not much hiding space. I just have to take it out, stash it behind something in the garage and then bring it in later if I really want to hide it from the Dish Police! LOL

Gail, trust me, you will find SOMEWHERE to stash your treasures once you have them. Linen closets, under beds, top of cabinets, etc. You'll even find yourself thinking about keeping less food in the pantry so you can stash dishes and treasures in there! LOL

Luvs

• oldalgebra
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Here's a look for March.

• luvstocraft
    15 years ago

Perfect for St. Pat's Day. Cute cup and saucer, and I always love the Irish sayings. Like that neat pipe too. Luvs

• mary_ruth
    15 years ago

OH MY are these precious! LOVED the photos! Thank you so much oldalgebra for starting this thread!

• kathleen_li
    15 years ago

Pretty, OA..You are putting your cloche to good use!

• Oakley
    13 years ago

I'm bumping this up. Surely you all have added different things to your jars by now/

I have a few jars now but only one is deocrated. Past time to change it out. It has dried flowers from my garden, which I think I've shown before.

{{gwi:720272}}

• christmascandy
    13 years ago

Here are some pictures of my cloche arrangements for fall.

Slightly different angle.

A close up of the bird in the small cloche.

TTFN,
    Candy

• Purplemoon
    13 years ago

How nice to see this bumped up. Candy I love your Fall vignette. Will have to add it to our cloche album.

For anyone shopping for apothecary jars and cloches, I personally love the ones at Sav On Crafts. I got that tall (22 inch) one recently, and have ordered one for my DD a Christmas gift. I'm tempted to get one of the other jars now. They have so darn many pretty ones and variety of sizes. Prices are great there I think.

hugs, Karen

Here is a link that might be useful: apothecary jars

• nana2010_gw
    13 years ago

Thanks for bumping this up I wasn't here last year,

and I really enjoyed looking at everyone's work.

NanaKaren

• Oakley
    13 years ago

Karen, I could not believe the low prices of the apothecary jars and other decorative bowls that Save-on-Crafts.com has! They have almost everything we need for decorating for pennies!

Today I was at Walmart and bought a very nice and large Trifle bowl for only $5.00. I cannot wait to figure out what to put in it for Christmas and other seasons. Besides a good Banana Pudding. lol

• luckygal
    13 years ago

So nice to see this old thread return! I'd missed it last year and I love apothecary jars and cloches. I still don't have enough but depend on finding them at yard sales. I do drool over a large apothecary at a local gift shop - it's *only* about $80.

I've posted this pic before but it's one of my favs. Small urn with glass fishing float and shells covered with a glass *thing* that's not really a cloche but works.

{{gwi:1410534}}

At Halloween I used it to cover the crystal skull as my cat always tries to eat the raffia - in fact I think you might see cat teeth marks in it if you look!

{{gwi:1410535}}

After tweaking I put a little pumpkin and a wheat spray in it.

{{gwi:1410536}}

At Easter I put pastel colored M&M's in an apothecary jar and used a covered glass pedestal cake plate for a vignette.

{{gwi:1410537}}

Last spring I used a cheese dome to display seed packets.

{{gwi:1410538}}

Better not bore you any further!

• Purplemoon
    13 years ago

BORE? Are you kidding? LOL. I love seeing what you did, LG. Guess I better get busy and add yours to our Cloche album!

I've been noticing on some of the blogs how the gals make cloches and hurricanes and apothecary jsrs from glass pieces found at Dollar Tree! I did some hurricanes, and also made myself a large and two small pedestal cake domes.
    From Goodwill finds and Dollar Tree. DT sure has nice, heavy glass, short candleholders that make the perfect bases for any of these things!

hugs, Karen

• jeannespines
    13 years ago

I am lovin' this post, too, LG! ...especially because I've not seen some of these...& also that it's a good reminder to visit the "Cloche and Jar Album" that PM adds to for us! Got some good ideas from that album. And recently I found a small cake pedestal at a TS which I will be using for Christmas/Winter decor.

I don't have any cloches but did buy a large cake pedestal early this yr & used it at Easter:

I also used this "jar" one with white & pearl buttons for Valentine decor:

And for July, I tried the cake pedestal again...with candle, stars & little patriotic doll:

I've been eye-ing the "cloches" at HLobby for some time...they run 50% off alot (from retail price) so they are still quite a bit... we shall how the prices do for the holidays. Thanks OA for starting this thread last yr & glad to see it bumped up. Jeanne S.

• jaybird
    13 years ago

Don't forget you can make cloches out of various things found at the goodwill...my favorite one is made from a glass bowl that was originally suspended in a brass rack. The "brass" rack was rusty and yukky and went in the trash, the bowl was turned upside down and a glass cabinet knob glued to the bottom....voila a wide biggish cloche!! Or you can use the glass thingy off an anniversary type clock. Lots of glass candle holders make good small/tiny cloches....especially the ones designed to suspend in a metal ring type holder. They already have a knob on the bottom, that becomes the top when you turn them upside down :^)
    Glass flower pot shaped thingys do well with a knob glued on the bottom. (even painted wooden knobs work well) I have also made cloches using the kind of hurricane glasses that have a wide top and a narrow opening in the bottom that fits into a brass candle holder. Just turn them upside down and glue on a glass knob (door or cabinet depending on the size of the hurricane).

• marylee_2010
    13 years ago

All these projects are beautiful and so creative. Quick! I need to find a flat surface in my home that is not already filled...(not an easy task) so I can try my hand at this type of decorating.

Marylee

• Purplemoon
    13 years ago

Welcome Marylee...if all your surfaces are filled, it sure sounds like you belong here with the rest of us. And you'll find room, somehow. LOL.

Walls too. For me, "wall space" is the little area between frames. Sound familiar, JIM?!!

hugs, Karen

• cantgetmynailsclean
    13 years ago

I'm glad I saw this thread! I have a couple, but they're up in the attic during a kitchen renovation. But a few months back I was in a architectural salvage store and they had what looked like an ENORMOUS cloche. It's probably 15-18" across at the base. I asked the price and the lady told me that it was a light fixture, but it broke and only the glass and outer band was left, and it was $5. I snatched it up and hoped to make a cloche out of it. It's up in the attic as well, but I'll snap a pic soon and post it, maybe you all can help me figure out what to do with it! Since it was made to be hung (open end up) I wasn't sure if the glass could support it's weight being kept opening down. Any ideas?

Here's a link to a similar lighting fixture, my glass piece is much prettier, more of a bell shape. It does not have a finial ending at the bottom, it's an open end (maybe 2" opening) that I figured I could disguise with a wooden finial or something.

Here is a link that might be useful: Ethan Allen Cloche Chandelier

• oldalgebra
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Nails,
    Maybe you can keep your eye out for an expensive glass paper weight for the finial. But maybe you don't need one. Here's a big one I'd like to buy from Restoration Hardware. It doesn't have to top-knot. It's 25 inches across and is $600. As soon as I win the lottery, I'm going to get it. I think you got a bit of a bargain, don't you think? Here's a picture of it on a table that appears to be in King Henry Size dining hall.

• Purplemoon
    13 years ago

OA, when you win the lottery, you can get the diningroom too. I want those trees!!!

Welcome, Nails. Great buy on that piece! I am looking forward to seeing it decorated.

hugs, Karen

• cantgetmynailsclean
    13 years ago

That looks JUST like my dining room! Who snuck in there and snapped a picture??! Of of the maids or butlers must be up to no good!

Blah ha ha!

• luckygal
    13 years ago

Cantgetmynailsclean, welcome to the forum and you got a real deal on that hunk-a-glass! I don't see why it wouldn't work as a cloche as most glass that size is made thick enough to stand on the open part. If you look at my first pic above it also was made for another purpose. It's supposed to go in a cast iron base to be used as a large candleholder. I have the base as well (both for $5) and use it with a plant pot in my garden. The glass part doesn't have a knob and I've thot of gluing on a glass dresser knob (altho I hoard them carefully as like to use them in various ways). You're idea of using a wood knob would work also.

OA, love that DR, especially the trees! When I win the lottery and have staff I'll instruct them to make some just like that! ;-D

• cantgetmynailsclean
    13 years ago

Thanks, Luckygal. Boy, you got a heck of a deal as well!

I had to go up to the attic to get the kids gloves today and saw the glass piece and almost brought it down. But I need to come up with a spot for it first! Small house and 2 kids (plus 4 neighbor kids who are always here!) means I have to think carefully before I put it out! I can't think of any spot where it could just stay and not have to be moved. I was thinking of hanging it, open end up, because I do have the metal ring it came with, and putting a big white candle and some greenery and wreath pics around it for the holiday season.

• Boopadaboo
    13 years ago

I have never had any real "cloche" but after seeing this post I decided I needed some. :) Of course I have no idea what I will put in them! I thought this was a decent deal and wanted to share.

If you put in the code welcome you save an additional 10% off the original price so the set of three are $24.95

Here is a link that might be useful: 3 piece cloche set

• nancyjeanmc
    13 years ago

Dizzy looking at all this. Good dizzy. Another manageable way to change it up for each holiday. I don't have any cloches, but I love the old jars and cake covers people used. I'll be looking in GW, and consignment shops for some. The old jars, I have.
    This is so much fun.

• oldalgebra
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Here's a quick cloche design:
    One hat from last year, some old black double fold bias tape ironed flat, and two decorative glasses that came on a hostess gift last New Year's Eve.

You know, before I put the black "ribbon" and glasses on, it might have looked better. No kidding. It looks rather nifty in real life.

• luvstocraft
    13 years ago

It looks rather nifty on here too! That was a great idea and the hat was just the perfect size too. Luvs

• nancyjeanmc
    13 years ago

No black ribbon and glasses? Silly thought. It looks so cool; I think it might have been too plain without them. Unfinished? Anyway, don't touch them!

• phonegirl
    13 years ago

NICE! It looks great. I love that you brought up this old post to get all of us motivated. It was fun to scroll through and see all the cloches on here.

Punk

• jeannespines
    13 years ago

Just a perfect fit! Looks great! Love the hat & the bottles, too! I am loving the cloche decor! Jeanne S.

• plainjane425
    13 years ago

I remember this post..and it got me going on
    getting My Own since I had such 'Cloche Envy' !!
    Love the one you just put together OA..
    Simple yet to the 'point'..
    Love the ribbon.

jane

• nancyjeanmc
    13 years ago

Punk,
    I loved seeing this thread for the first time, too. Now I wish there was a way to view the posts, newest ones first. (There isn't, is there?) This slow computer takes forever to scroll down on these longer threads. Oh well, I did pray for patience. In fact, I demanded it immediately!
    Nancy

• bonnieann925
    13 years ago

They are all so pretty and unique. The New Years cloche is adorbable...very creative. Now I have to go to the basement and drag mine up here. In the quest to do "less is more" this year, it remained buried among the boxes somewhere.

Great thread!

• jeannespines
    13 years ago

My version of apothecary jars for Winter decor this yr...(thanks to "Enablers R Us" for posting this thread earlier!)& purplemoon's Inspiration Album of cloches! LOL! Jeanne S.

Black embossed metal lids on 2 crackly gold jars from Hobby Lobby, faux timer candle in one on faux snow & string of pearlie gold beads on snow in other:

• phonegirl
    13 years ago

Nancy, we could start a new thread and repost these. Maybe we should start a new 2011 thread for some inspiration.

Jeanne, Karen, OA, Luvs, Jane, Kathleen, are you Listening???lol If so what do you think about this? I think it would be great and if I have some extra time I may work on some this weekend.

Punk

• nancyjeanmc
    13 years ago

Punk,
    I love that idea. Picture heavy threads take so long to scroll through. We could post a link here for others who haven't had a chance to look through.
    I'll let one of the "old timers" (who are much younger than I, just here longer) decide. But I do like the idea. This whole cloche thing has become a favorite. I just found an old candy jar, from an apothecary store and did the whole snowman, snow thing. Need my sons to put them on my computer so I can post. Maybe there will be a new thread by then.
    Nancy

• plainjane425
    13 years ago

Great Idea Ladies..
    Just get it started and I'm on it!
    Nancy I like your reference to "old timers" (who are much younger than I, just here longer) >> Smart Gal!!

jane

• luvstocraft
    13 years ago

For pictures of cloches without all our comments, nothing beats the inspiration albums Karen made for us.

The problem with the posts on here is that there is no way to keep them from moving on down the line and eventually dropping off, and like Nancy said, when the posts get pic heavy it takes a long time to scroll through them each time to see new additions or comments.

I think we determined that the maximum additions/comments on a post is 150--so yes, a post as popular as cloches could get pretty long.

Hopefully, Karen has captured some of the prettiest ideas from this post already, so I say go ahead and start a new one for 2011--and when it gets too long, we can always do a part 2, right? ;o)

Luvs

• oldalgebra
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Yes, definitely. This one is getting too long.
    Karen will probably move any of the recently posted pictures to the album she created for cloches.

But we should definitely start a new one for 2011

• nancyjeanmc
    13 years ago

New thread started for 2011.

Here is a link that might be useful: 2011 Apothecary Jar/Cloche thread

Sponsored
FineLine Kitchens, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars81 Reviews
Award Winning Kitchen & Bath Design Center Serving the DMV Area
More Discussions