Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
oldalgebra

Read Across America Day - Breakfast with Dr. Seuss

oldalgebra
13 years ago

Jeanne,

I bet your son is gearing up for this one.

Here's a breakfast table: green eggs, ham, fruit and juice.

Here is a link that might be useful: Breakfast with Dr. Seuss

Comments (13)

• jeannespines
    13 years ago

Love it, OA! I esp like how you've created the "stripes" w/colored electrician's tape! (a trick of the trade)! And painting the t'cloth! Cool! And the colors are perfectly "Dr. Seuss!" Brings back memories from my working days at library!

Polka dot plates are just the CUTEST! A fun table!!!
    & yes, DS has geared up for this day....they're now 2 wks into the 4 wks of RAMM (read a million minutes)...he makes a movie w/other teachers for all the elementary kids to kick off RAMM. TFS! Jeanne S.

• oldalgebra
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I got those darn polka dot plates at a garage sale. They had four dinner and only two or three salad plates (Can't remember which.). Anyway, I went to eBay to fill in the missing one(s) and those puppies are expensive! They're cute though.

• kathleen_li
    13 years ago

That is so cute!! Very clever gal you are!
    Your gkids are very lucky!

• excessfroufrou
    13 years ago

I love the colors, they are so bright and cheery. Your tablecloth is a masterpiece and the polka dot plates are too cute.
    Frou

• phonegirl
    13 years ago

Sweet table and your poem is amazing. Love seeing all the neat things you create for your tables. I've seen those plates before and they are expensive but so darn cute.

Punk

• plainjane425
    13 years ago

Cute and fun table. Love all the clever ideas with the painted tablecloth and the colored tapes for a 'whimsical' look. Looks like you had a great time putting it all together too.
    DS was one of my favorites to read to the kids in my class.. and DD still talks about her sleep over party when I made her friends Green Eggs & Ham in the morning...I had more fun doing it!!
    jane

• sunnyca_gw
    13 years ago

Very cute ideas & loved the poem ! That electrical tape sure came in handy! Lucky GK's! Jan

• christmascandy
    13 years ago

OA,
    Very clever table and poem. It takes a lot of word smithing to create poetry like Dr. Seuss. I truly appreciate your effort.
    When I was teaching, the seniors chose the faculty speaker for graduation and I was the chosen speaker for the class of 2005. I used Dr. Seuss as an example of someone who persevered (Mulberry St. was turned down by 27 different publishers before he found someone who gave him his start!) and I did the rest of the speech in his type of rhyme scheme. I received a number of compliments about it being not the "usual" boring graduation speech.

Anyway, I am not trying to hijack your post, but just let you know I understand how much effort went into your table and poem.

Great imagination on your part for the tablecloth, utensils, and all the rest. Theodore would have been proud!

TFS,
    Candy

• nana2010_gw
    13 years ago

OA, GREAT tribute to Dr. Seuss!
    Such a bright and colorful table.
    The polka dot plates are perfect.
    Using the electrical tape ..Genius.
    Loved your award winning poetry.
    How long did it take you to write it?
    It really is a delightful table.
    NanaK

• oldalgebra
    Original Author
    13 years ago

"How long did it take you to write it? "

I don't know. I had such fun writing it that I didn't pay much attention. I wrote most of it in one sitting (maybe 60 to 90 minutes, not sure). Then came back the next day, added two stanzas and tweaked here and there (another 30 minutes).

The table setting was done in about 30 minutes. I'm not particularly happy with it, but I was trying to meet a deadline in BlogWorld. I had to wait for the tablecloth to dry and then get things out fast. In fact, the electrician tape came to me after thinking the whole thing looked so terribly blah.

Now, about the tablecloth. That took me about one or two million hours. At least it seemed like it did. I like it, but it was so boring to do. Easy, but slow and boring.

• oldalgebra
    Original Author
    13 years ago

CC,
    Did you, by any chance, save a copy of the speech to share?
    OA

• christmascandy
    13 years ago

OA, Of course I have the speech, I even have the video!! It turns out that it was something that the Special Ed dept. used later on as a teaching tool for the special needs students! I was famous on the short bus, LOL.
    If you would like a copy, I will send it to your email address.
    Let me know.

TTFN,
    Candy

• Purplemoon
    13 years ago

I especially love your Oh-so-Amazing Seuss poetry!
    hugs, Karen