Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
judithva_gw

Table for one please

judithva
16 years ago

Tablesetting for me tonight, I do like doing a nice setting, even if it is just for me. :) Dinner will be spaghetti, garlic bread, salad and a small tart. Yum

I have finally started a blog, if anyone can tell me how to do a live link, I would appreciate it!

And an overexposed long shot, please forgive!

Comments (44)

• kathleen_li
    16 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Beautiful Judith!...and I am so glad you are feeling up to doing a table setting.
    The link you copy and paste in the url spot, then in the name box, your blog name..
    Can't wait to sse it!

• marylmi
    16 years ago

Very nice Judith. I love all of your dishes and accessories! Glad you are feeling better!!

• judithva
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Kathleen, thank you, well I figured I would take a snapshot before next weeks "treatment", otherwise I may not feel like it later (let alone eating).

LOL, I have no idea what you just said about the directions for a live link. (blushing big time)

Do you mean:
    "the link you copy and paste" I take that from the blog address at the top of the page of my blog....right?

You lost me when you said "paste in the url spot, then in the name box....uh where is the url spot and the name box??
    I am definately telling you I am soooooooo computer dumb, think of me as being in first grade...maybe kindergarden even preschool... when it comes to computer "foot work" LOL Sigh....

• judithva
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Oh, Mary, while I was typing my response to Kathleen, you must have posted.. don't want you to think I am ignorning you. Thank you, I am feeling better these last few days, the spaghetti dinner on them was delish. LOL

• kathleen_li
    16 years ago

Yes, go to the top of the screen where the address of your blog shows..copy that, then go to where it says optional URL under the message box. Paste it there..then type in Judith's blog or whatever...It's easy..learned from Jaybird!!
    If you can't do it, email it to me and I will do it!

Hi Mary!

• judithva
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Ok, Kathleen, giving it a try! Thanks for your help! and Jaybird for helping you! :)

Here is my blog address....I hope. LOL

Here is a link that might be useful: Judith's Blog

• kathleen_li
    16 years ago

It worked!!!

• yachter123
    16 years ago

Judith, thanks for the pictures, your's are always the ones we wait for since you are our resident expert!!

We must be both thinking spring, as I also put out a few deocrations on my fireplace with birds & nests in them.
    Your green & white is always so pretty & you can leave them on there for the next holiday. St. Pats!

I hope you feel better soon, soon spring will be here & that always helps.
    {{gwi:1410366}}

• luvstocraft
    16 years ago

Hi Judith, what a nice treat to hear from you. I'm glad to hear that you have started a blog, that will be the perfect venue for you to post your pics and write about all your great ideas.

Hey, you said you weren't good with computers--yet you started a blog--that's pretty impressive to me!

Love the moss in your centerpiece. Is the white ceramic artichoke a bowl or just a decorative one? Very unique, I like it!

Glad you are feeling up to doing a pretty table and sharing pics with us again.

Luvs

• labmomma
    16 years ago

Judith, just visited your blog. Very cool. I just wish I were as computer savvy. Your Valentine's table is beautiful. I am attempting to do a table (nothing as lovely as yours), but with all of the construction going on, I have things everywhere. I have gathered the dishes and stems, but the rest will have to be pulled out of a hat:). I think I will be hunting and gathering on my lunch hours this week.

Have a wonderful Valentine's Day. DD's best friend is staying with us while her parents are away on a little vacation, so she will be here for Valentine's. I am trying to make it a little special, however, at 17, I think the two of them will think I've gone round the bend?

Hope you are doing well! You are in my thoughts and prayers.

• thrift_shop_romantic
    16 years ago

Oh, excellent, Judith-- I will more than happily link to you from my blog! My readers would LOVE to see the stuff you do, unquestionably!!

YAY!
    -Jenn

• luvstocraft
    16 years ago

Judith, I just finished checking out your blog, it is going to be so popular I'm sure. It might even be better than that book we have been hoping you would do! ;o)

It looks really pretty and it will be a great way to share your thoughts and the pretty things you like to collect and create arrangements with. And it may inspire others to do arrangements of their own, or just brighten someone's day by getting to enjoy seeing yours.

The most important thing is that it won't "drop off" like so many of the posts on the forums.

That is so sweet of Jenn to post a link from her blog to yours, she's right, her readers will love your creations. Jenn sort of "introduced" me to the whole world of blogging that's out there, when I visited hers and then explored some of the links. I've very much enjoyed exploring and visiting so many of the blogs. I especially like the ones with lots of pics, and I love hearing about their shopping excursions and how they found their treasures.

I hope this will be something you really enjoy doing and I know you will meet many other creative people and soon have tons of new "fans".

Luvs

• jaybird
    16 years ago

I stopped by to visit....you are WAY TOO SMART for me!!! It's lovely!

• tamgypsy
    16 years ago

Hi Judith...:)
    It is so nice to see you post. I LOVE that table setting. I can't wait to bring all my cabbage plates out soon. The white looks so fresh with it. I agree with luvs, I also really like your centerpiece and the artichoke, very nice.

Damn woman, what do you mean you are not computer savvy, your blog is great!!! I immediatly put it under my favorites and will visit is often...:)

• Kathie738 P
    16 years ago

Judith,
    Not only are your tables fabulous, now you can blog!
    I still can't figure out digital photography..can't even post a picture. The only things I can do well are bargain shop and buy dishes...
    I'm glad your enjoying your good week and wish I could help make the bad one better for you.
    Hugs,
    Kathie

• judithva
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Kathleen, yep, it did work! Thankgoodnes for you "techie folks" :)

yachter, thank you, you are very sweet, I still consider myself to be a beginner though, I am always trying to work something out! Good idea about the St. Paddys day, believe it or not I have never really done a St. Paddy theme table before.

Luvs, LOL, you have no idea, how I have struggled with that blog...if you look where it says "archive" you will see my first entry I think it was June of 2007 and nothing until a few days ago!!! I had just given up, I could not figure out how to post the photos LOL. But the other night, I just decided to keep hitting buttons until something happened, so it is a blog brought about by total LUCK not skill!(should have bought a lottery ticket that night) I still have to figure out live links, the areas where you add on other peoples blog, all that IMPORTANT stuff, since blogging is a community, I want to make sure I include others.
    That is just a white artichoke, not a bowl (I wish, I LOVE lidded bowls) I had planned on tieing a green napkin around the white stem, but the green napkins were in the laundry. I have about 5 different kinds of the white ceramic fruits, I have used them in another vignette which I had posted here, I try to use my goodies in everyway I can think of (trying to justify my crazy need for accessories LOL)

labmomma, thanks for visiting my blog, it is pretty simple right now, but hopefully I will "grow" into it! I am sure you will do a great table, some of my favorite tables have been the ones I " pulled out of a hat". I am also sure the girls will love you putting something pretty together for them, even young girls know when they are being pampered so they will be sure to apppreciate it! I am doing well right now, I take it one week at a time :)

Jenn, that is so nice of you, maybe you can throw me some instruction on how to add people, I would love to add you too when I get it figured out. I am afraid I do not have your gift for prose though, so I may be a lost cause there. Sigh

Luvs, yes, it is so nice of Jenn to do that, I am finding blog world to be friendly for sure! Writing, as I mentioned above is not really my strong suit...I will probably stick more to photos LOL, now...if you get me in person talking, I will talk your ear off, as some can attest to. (blush)

jaybird, LOL, now you know I am not computer smart, your directions to Kathleen (as she mentioned) have already helped me. Thanks!

tamgypsy, thanks again for you nice comments, I think I remember seeing the green dishes in your album, so I am looking forward to seeing your designs with them, you are doing great with your tablesetting and vignettes.

Kathie, thank you. Don't feel too bad about the digi photography, I used to use my regular 35 mm, but when I purchased a digi, I could not afford a 35 mm digi, so I bought a mid-line one, I have it set on automatic 90% percent of the time, I just take lots of pictures and lots of time with setting up a new look, it just takes practice and patience. And you DO have great skills, finding a bargin is always a great thing, and anyone who buys dishes shows great skill and common sense! Yea! for dish-a-holics!
    You and everyone here, makes my good weeks fantastic, but you all make my bad weeks so much more bearable,... a true gift of love, thank you all for that!

• prosperity66
    16 years ago

Judith! Your blog is WONDERFUL!

I haven't had enough time to admire your blue and valentines table settings! But I'll come back as soon as I get back from work!

Your spring etiquette suits very well the sun and heat that prevail in my country - which are quite abnormal and unusual here because normally in Belgium it's raining in February, like every other months of the year or the weather is cold.

Congratulations!!!

• thrift_shop_romantic
    16 years ago

Judith- You're on Blogger, too, so I'm more than happy to answer ANY questions or issues you're having, if I can. Just PM me, or I can pass you my email address-- either way.

There's no reason you should have to rely on Hit or Miss when you're trying to get something done. :)

And I suspect you'll get the hang of it in no time, really.

As for the writing-- you're too hard on yourself. Just be yourself, write like you talk, and people will feel as comfortable with you as we all do here!

You do beautiful work-- people will LOVE it!

-Jenn

• Kathie738 P
    16 years ago

Judith,
    Thank you for the kind words..I'd really like to get the hang of taking and posting pictures because I'm going to be moving in a few months and I'd love to get some of your ideas on what to do with this house.
    I know that there is a decorating board but I feel so much more comfortable around all of you.
    Judith, you would love this house...1896 Victorian with a 10ft high dish closet in the dining room and a butler's pantry!!
    Here is a site you might enjoy..she's a blogger too it's..acottageindustry.typepad.com/....she does tablesettings and all kinds of crafty things...enjoy

• luvstocraft
    16 years ago

Kathie, I'm green with envy that you are moving into a Victorian Home--something I always dreamed of, but will never have. If you've got a camera and can take the pics, we will help you with the posting part. And trust me, it is not hard, if I can do it anybody can!

Wow! A dish closet AND a butler's pantry! No worrying about where to store dishes for you. I'm really happy for you, and can't wait to get to live vicariously through your pics. ;o)

Luvs

P.S. Thanks for the link to that blog, it is really a fun one, she is very talented and very interesting too.

• judithva
    Original Author
    16 years ago

prosperity, thank you! I am glad you enjoyed them. I hope the nice weather stays with you in Belgium. I remember when I lived in Germany, it was constantly either rainy or the verge of rain, there was only a short period where I lived that it was sunny, so enjoy it while you can.

Jenn, thank you for your encouraging words. I probably will get ahold of you for some questions, I have plenty!

Kathie, wow, a Victorian, it sounds wonderful, are you going to be decorating it in the "true" Victorian style, or will you be a little more laid back with it? My dream come true...a dish closet and pantry. sigh..I wish, I have to use my closets, and a giant shelving system in my garage for the more inexpensive dishes and accessories. The china and crystal is kept in the house.
    I am excited to see the pictures of your new home once you get the chance. I have visited off and on to Cottage Industry's blog she is great!

• jaybird
    16 years ago

Cottage Industry

Here is a link that might be useful: live link

• marylmi
    16 years ago

Judith, your blog is great! All of your dishes are so beautiful. I think even just a sandwich would seem so special with any of those settings! :) Nice work!

• Purplemoon
    16 years ago

I'm late to the party thanks to computer problems...
    Judith the table is gorgeous. And your BLOG is wonderful.
    I have it bookmarked, along with Jenn's, to check often.
    I confess to not reading or checking out blogs till Jenn came along with her's. And now one of my best friends (dog gal and professional artist) has one, so good thing I will be reading a few. LOL. I'm just finding out about this kind of stuff, so know I will adding more blogs to my favorites to keep up with.

hugs, Karen

• Kathie738 P
    16 years ago

Judith,
    I won't be decorating in high Victorian style, probably more shabby/cottage type look.
    The front foyer is very Victorian looking with lots of dark oak and ball-and-stick trim..a little like the Aadams family look.
    The house is closed for the Winter(it's in upstate N.Y.)but as soon as the weather warms up I'll be up there taking lots of pictures and looking for your ideas on how to make this place look warm and inviting..I'm a little intimidated moving from a 1300sq ft house to a 4500sq ft place.

• bettyd_z7_va
    16 years ago

Judith,
    Love the beautiful Table for one. I always study everything you do trying to imprint it in my mind's eye so I can learn how to put together something beautiful one day.

I started my collection of cabbage leaf dishes with 2 dinner plates and 2 soup bowls. I was in TJ Max the other day and found the rectangular yellow bunny plate and 1 cup and saucer to match, both in yellow,on sale. Picked up a cute plate easel at the $ store for the plate and set the cup and saucer in front of it and felt spring starting early. It made me smile. Couldn't wait to show it to DH when he got home.
    Thanks again for sharing your talent with all of us. Glad you are feeling well enough to still give us a taste of spring. Still praying for a quick, quick recovery.
    Betty

• judithva
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Mary thank you, hey, sometimes it is just a sandwinch! LOL

Karen, thank you! I love blogs, there are alot of creative people out there, I lurk alot, but since I have started a blog, I try to comment more to them..especially since I have figured out "HOW" to comment LOL (blush) I will get the computer stuff figured out eventually.

kathie, Wow, I can barely wait to see the photos, but I would love to hear how your story/background of what lead to to the Victorian? And wow, all that square footage, holy cow!! I used to live in New York, I worked at West Point for the military, so I know there are some beautiful homes throughout NY. I am glad you found some goodies in TJ Max, a fav store of mine for dishes, there and Marshalls is where I found almost all of the green cabbage dishes, the price just can't be beat!

• Kathie738 P
    16 years ago

Judith,
    Talk about small world...my daughter graduated from Storm King school in Cornwall..I'm across the river in Peekskill.
    DD then went to Wells(my Christmas presents were always Mackenzie Childs..LOL)and we never got her to come back downstate..she found a beautiful 5 bedroom brick Victorian in this sweet little town outside Rome NY, and everytime we would visit I would look at the Victorian next door..we ended up buying it with a 5 yr plan in mind..DH had 5 yrs before he would retire and in that time we would work on the Victorian and when we moved in everything would be perfect.
    Well, you know what they say..you make plans and God laughs..the day after Christmas 2006 DH had a stroke, and then had another one 6 weeks later..thankfully he's doing OK but when his company offered a buyout in Nov.he took it.
    So now were going to do what we can when we can...it should be an adventure!
    Kitchen is useable but needs a total makeover, but on the plus side I have 2 sets of pocket doors.
    Formal front parlor needs quite a bit of work, but I have 3 fireplaces..including 1 in the Masterbedroom.
    And you would love the Juliette balcony on the front of the house..we get to watch all the parades come by, and this town loves to have parades!
    I can't wait to show you some pictures and get some of your great decorating ideas.

• luvstocraft
    16 years ago

Kathie, So sorry to hear your five year plan did not materialize, and I'm sure sorry about your DH's heart problems. Glad he is doing okay now. Gosh, I do envy you though on having such a wonderful house. As long as it is structurally sound and liveable, you can take your time with the decorating. You can even do some "make do" projects until you have the time to actually tear into it and make it the way you really want it. I can just visualize your romantic master bedroom with the fireplace and can picture you on your balcony waving at the parades. And it's great that you will be so close to your daughter too. Best wishes, and I can hardly wait for your pictures and projects. Luvs

• judithva
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Kathie, you home sounds so wonderful, you are going to have such a wonderful time decorating it. I so want a fireplace and you have 3! Swoon, especially in the MB, how romantic!! I am glad things are going better for your hubby, you are right, life does throw us curve balls, but I guess as they say there are reasons for everything! Yes, I was right near you, my ex and I lived at the miltary area Stewart Army Subpost near Newburgh, (hope I got that spelling right..it has been awhile), it is a beautiful area, but I confess I do not miss the snow and ice during the winter!

• mary_ruth
    16 years ago

I am glad you figured out how to put the link on your post for your Blog! I have yours listed on mine to view and visit yours often!
    Love your pictures!

Here is a link that might be useful: Mary Ruth's Blog

• delphinium33
    16 years ago

Judith,
    I can never get enough of your pictures. Your blog is wonderful. Take care....

• judithva
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Mary Ruth, well I figured out how to put a link in to your blog, but of course it is in the wrong place (at the bottom of the page instead of at the side area..sigh...I must be the stupidest non-techie blogger alive!)

Delphinium33, thankyou for your sweet words, today I had a good day, so I started a set up for a "Tea Party Blog" that I will participate in...here is a sneak peak:

(of course...I do have a few more ideas if it doesn't seem "Tea Party" enough... LOL)

• mary_ruth
    16 years ago

Tea party blog! WOW can't wait to see!

• judithva
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Mary Ruth, you can do it too (I KNOW you have dishes) LOL, go for it, it will be fun.

Same goes to any one out there that has a blog. Join in the more the better, below is a link, that I am sure you all will enjoy, whether you do a "party" or not. :)

Here is a link that might be useful: Partea Planner Blog Tea Party

• dining_delight
    16 years ago

Judith, I have to say I LOVE all of your tablescapes and your pictures always capture the "feel" of them as well. You have beautiful dishes and accessories and display them in such creative ways for example your "table for one" - terrific.

I absolutely love the idea of this tea party event and very much enjoyed following the links you posted. Although I don't have a blog and will be out of town on the 20th anyway, I think I will try to do up some kind of "tea" setting for fun. For a number of years, our church held a Victorian Tea and I was in charge of table decor for 40 tables - we did them all differently. It was so much fun but also a lot of work rounding up so many china sets, tablecloths, decorations, etc. we kind of burned ourselves out.
    DD

• mary_ruth
    16 years ago

Judith just went on that site! What a great video showing set up for that tea party! The colors were wild, but I loved those fresh flowers! And the food!!! WOW!

• judithva
    Original Author
    16 years ago

dining delight,
    thanks for the lovely comments :).

There have been other "virtual tea parties" before on blogs, but since I did not have blog, I never participated in them. But.....we could always have a GW virtual "tea party right here on "Holidays", that way those without blogs can join in the fun, I wonder if anyone here would be interested, we can always do the "tea party on a day that would be good for everyone.

Your church sounds like they really know how to have fun, what a great idea, but yes, I know it indeed would be alot of work tracking down a lot of "tea sets" for something like that! Probably something that big maybe should be only once a year...to prevent burnout like you mentioned.

MaryRuth, yes she is quite a business woman with alot of talent. So are you going to do it?

• prosperity66
    16 years ago

Saw the blog and found it... irresistible!

About your setting: the colors are lovely! Rose and white make me think to the holidays I used to have in England.

I particularly loved a guest house called "Sunnydene" (not the one that is on the Internet) and the bedroom I always have had was white and rose.

Each day at five we went at a tea room where dominant colors were rose and white, with many delicious pastries...

I see very well meringue, scones, muffins... on your plates;-)

• judithva
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Prosperity, Glad you enjoyed her blog, she has loads of photos too, you just have to search around a bit.

Pink/rose is one of my fav colors, so soft and feminine, they just make me relax...
    I wish I could have made it to England when I lived in Europe, I was very young then and a bit afraid to venture out too much (and broke) LOL, I would so love to be able to go back to Europe and travel, Oh well, that is what the internet is for me at least for now LOL Your description of Sunnydene, sounds wonderful, the colors and atmosphere.
    Do join up with us and have a virtual tea party here on GW Holidays if you can.

• kathleen_li
    16 years ago

OK, I am late to this..Are we doing a tea party here on the 20th?? Or are we doing it on that other site????

• judithva
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Kathleen, If you have a blog, then you will join in at her site (if you want). I had just thought it might be fun to do one here on GW Holidays, since not everyone has a blog, and we/everyone could pick a date that would suit everyone, what do you all think? Something to get some excitment going for everyone.

• mary_ruth
    16 years ago

WEll, I will try that HERE. If you all pick a date... now Judith, you HAVE TO list the particulars!
    I do NOT know anything about TEA AFFAIRS... so how do you do a table for one? I mean what is the criteria, and how do we do it?
    You know this COULD BE FUN!

Here is a link that might be useful: My Home Blog

• judithva
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Mary Ruth, Well I don't know about particulars, I would not want it to be too involved for anyone that has limited resources, not to mention attendees LOL Plus, at these tea parties on the blogs, from what I can tell many are literally "virtual", meaning they just set up a pretty table. I think that tea for one, tea for two, tea for what ever amount that suits your situation, the idea would be just to do a pretty setting..involving tea and the little snackies that would go with it. Again, I have seen those set ups on blogs where there is NO food in sight...just the tablesetting with teapots, plates, dishes teacups, stacked plates, napkins, lace, etc that is part of the look.

I do tea "affairs" for one all the time, lots of times it is just little ole me, but I still like the "art", and atmosphere of treating myself special every now and then. Sometimes the goodies are store bought, sometimes they are fresh made by me, I like having fruit with my snacks for something healthy too so I often make sure to include that too.

I would think it can be simple to elaborate, use whatever you have or buy new, I would like to think most everyone has dishes of some sort, can "poof" some food if they want, napkins, paper or cloth, basically what ever is easy to them.

Well, I think I will start a seperate thread on this since alot of people may not have read this thread and see if there is any interest.

Sponsored
Ramos Timber
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Westerville's Top Craftsman & Exceptional Quality Tile & Stone
More Discussions