Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
creekdweller_gw

I Made Hearts!

creekdweller
12 years ago

You can too. All you need is plastic beads, a metal cookie cutter and an toaster oven you can take out on the porch for ventilation. Place the cookie cutter on a pan the size of the oven, cover with aluminum foil, spray a thin spray of cooking oil. Put cookie cutter on and fill with beads. Take a piece of wire and make a loop and twist it at the end. Stick it under the cookie cutter and beads for the hanger when the beads are melted. You can let them melt just enough to still see the bumps in the beads or you can let them melt until they are smooth. But, watch carefully and don't smell the fumes.

These can be made for any Holiday you have metal cookie cutters for. The first ones I made were Christmas trees. I think I am going to try some for Easter. I don't do St. Patty's but the green sure would be cute.

I also added some crystal picture frames on the mantle with the red hearts that say LOVE.

And I added a few things to the piano.

By the way, where is everyone?

Creek

Here is a link that might be useful:

Comments (7)

• christmascandy
    12 years ago

Those look wonderful. What a great idea. My toaster oven is mounted under my cabinet so taking out to a better ventilated area is not an option.
    I like the red button heart picture too!

Looking very festive at your place.

TFS,
    Candy

• plainjane425
    12 years ago

Creek this is such a neat idea.
    It sort of reminds me of the stained glass ornaments using the oven.
    I like the way yours came out. I think they look so pretty the way you hung them.
    What type of beads did you use?
    Are they regular stringing beads or some other type?

I'd like to do this with my Grkids.
    TFS this idea.
    jane

• jeannespines
    12 years ago

Those hearts look pretty hanging from your chandie! Cute idea! & I like the framed button art, too! Looks like it's Valentine-y at your home, creek! Enjoyed lookin' at your pics! TFS! Jeanne S.

• phonegirl
    12 years ago

Creek, your hearts turned out so pretty. I no longer have a toaster oven but I have lots of beads.LOL Always nice to find another craft idea. Thanks

Punk

• Purplemoon
    12 years ago

Creek, you crafty lil' devil, those are so neat! I don't have a toaster oven any more either, darn it. But your idea is a keeper in case I pick one up at GW sometime.

hugs, Karen

• nana2010_gw
    12 years ago

Love the hearts, Creek. You have a lot of patience.
    Using buttons To make sayings and framing them was brilliant.
    Your mantel looks so festive with the red candles and Cardnals.
    TFS
    Nana

• creekdweller
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks everyone! I got up this morning and made one to wear around my neck today for Valentines.

If you have good ventilation in your home or can open I door or window or exhaust fan, I think it would work fine.

You get the oven Hot, like 5oo, then I had about 8 or 9 hearts in different sizes. It only takes a few minutes for them to melt.

Jane those are just red plastic beads you can get at Wal-Mart or these I got at Hobby Lobby for 2 pks for a dollar. I've had them for a while though, but I did see a big bag at Hancock Fabric's. So they are not hard to fine.

Hobby Lobby has them in all colors. I want to make some for Easter!

I'll post a picture of the beads and the original project.

I have read on the net about Mothers doing this with their children in the house, but, I just preferred to be out side.

The Christmas ornament was the first things I made. One year I made all Red, White and Pearls for my tree. Pearls don't melt, so don't waste your beads or time.LOL

Then I started making the cats. The beads are not as melted. I have made Orange Pumpkins, and Red Apples. The possibilities are endless. That is the one I made this morning to wear for the day.

As far as the buttons, that is easy, you just copy the font in the word and draw it to the size you want. Cut the paper enough so you can trace in on the fabric. I used felt squares for the black.

Thanks again everyone,

Creek

Here is a link that might be useful: Heart Beads!!!

Sponsored
More Discussions