Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
marlene_kindred

Home and Moving slowly

Marlene Kindred
11 years ago

Hi Everyone~

Sorry it took me a few days to get to an update. Had my surgery on Tuesday. All went well with that, but I had so much pain that I was in tears most of Tuesday night and Wednesday. Not something I want to relive. I finally got one of the nurses to believe me when I told her they weren't giving me enough pain meds and asked her to call the doctor. I'm not a little person in any respect of the word. So, when she called, another doctor was on call, but as it turned out, that doctor was one of mine as well...he told them that he knew me and that they needed to quadruple what they were giving me. He knew it sounded strange, but that I needed a huge amount of pain meds at first. So, they did that and I was better in a matter of an hour. After that, I was like a different person! My knee is quite swollen today and stiff, but the PT people came yesterday to get everything set up for next week and he told me I was already ahead of the game in walking, stretching and just general getting along.

Thanks so much for the thoughts and prayers and I would ask that you continue them. I know they make a difference. Been sleeping a lot and just generally taking it easy. And yes, I have pain, but it is a different pain all together. I'm looking forward to walking without a limp and without the endless pain I've had for the past few years.

I'm hanging in there. My gardens better look out this summer....I'm getting antsy.

Thanks again and hugs to all!
Marlene

Comments (19)

• marylee_2010
    11 years ago

Marlene, It was so good to hear from you. I am glad that everything went well with the surgery and all that is behind you. Now you can concentrate on getting better and be ready for summer. As someone who has been there, I can say that it is wonderful to walk without pain and a limp

Marylee

• christmascandy
    11 years ago

Glad to hear that it is all over and now you are on the road to recovery.
    So sorry to hear about the terrible pain to start, but glad it is under control now.

Best wishes for a speedy recovery and a beautiful garden this summer.

Thanks for leting us know.
    Candy

• nana2010_gw
    11 years ago

Marlene, I'm glad your surgery is behind you. As I said before everyone I know who had this surgery feels like a new person.
    I am sorry to hear that you had to experience so much pain until you got the right amount of pain meds.
    Nana

• party_music50
    11 years ago

Congrats on being through the surgery! It's hard to believe that they just wouldn't give you more pain meds when you said you needed them!

It's great that you're progressing so quickly now. Good luck with the PT. :)

• Purplemoon
    11 years ago

I was so happy to see you able to post. Tho hearing how you suffered (needlessly) sounded terrible! Thank goodness the other doc knew you and took care of things.

Tho PT sure won't be fun, or easy, hopefully the worst is over. Come to think of it, keeping you 'behaving' and following orders might be the worst. ;o)

I know you are going to be attacking your gorgeous gardens full force this Spring!
    luv, Karen

• plainjane425
    11 years ago

Marlene..so good to hear from you.
    I'm sorry though for the unnecessary pain you experienced. I know, with the right dose of pain meds, how quickly the pain goes. I remember that from last year with my foot/ankle surgery.
    Now it's time for you to look forward towards the road
    to recovery. For sure, by Springtime, when you're out in your garden, you'll be so happy it's done and overwith!
    jane

• Fun2BHere
    11 years ago

Happy to know that your surgery went well and I hope that with each day you feel better and better.

• phonegirl
    11 years ago

Marlene, sending you an extra lg speedy recovery card. Couldn't get it to resize.HA
    Great to hear your home and ready to play in the garden. Well almost???LOL

Love, Punk

• luvstocraft
    11 years ago

Marlene, thanks for letting us know your surgery is over and you are home recuperating. Bless your heart, pain enough to cause tears should have told those nurses something! Glad the Doc got it all squared away for you. Now you just need to "tough it out" for the PT and soon all this will just be a faded memory. Hugs, Luvs

• sunnyca_gw
    11 years ago

Glad you are well on way to recovery. Been praying for you & Jilly right along. Pain meds do make a great deal of difference as pain adds stress & slows healing. Keep on working at it & even if you get flu or cold keep up the exercises so knee won't "freeze up"like my son's did, don't want that! PT is well worth the pain & energy! Sounds like you are ahead of most already! Jan

• oldalgebra
    11 years ago

Hang in there, gal. The PT may be tough, but you can do it. And the rewards will be great!

• jeannespines
    11 years ago

Great news that it's over & all went well (except for more pain meds needed) ...now just keep on keepin' on, girl ...cause the PT will get you back into good shape! Let that DH of yours wait on you a bit, too! Life is good when you get to come back home! Thanks for much for writing us all a note here, Marlene ...continued good thoughts & prayers for you, friend! Hugs ~~ Jeanne S.

• Marlene Kindred
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks again ladies for all of the well wishes and support! It really helps to have such great friends. PT and OT have been going well this week and the PT thinks I can graduate to a cane if I feel comfortable with it. I use the cane some, but still feel more grounded with the walker. Been trying to behave and have been doing my exercises everyday. It is getting better, though my whole leg is really swollen. I'm told that's natural, so I'm not concerned. The other thing I wanted to tell you is that my OT lady is just like us! She loves TS, yardsales, etc. and loves the thrill of the hunt. I have really enjoyed having her here.

Thanks again everyone!

• marylee_2010
    11 years ago

Marlene, I am glad to hear you are doing well with your therapy. I do not want to alarm you, but I do want to let you know my experience. I had had a blot clot years ago... so after my surgery when my knee was swollen and ice packs did not reduce the swelling I was concerned. The therapist and the physician assistant both said the swelling was natural, but I got upset and the doctor ordered an ultra sound. I had a small clot in my calf. I was put on blood thinner and everything is fine. I hope you don't think I am being interfering, but my situation with the swelling sounded like yours. Marylee

• phonegirl
    11 years ago

Marlene, how fun to have an OT lady to share fun
    stories about the 'thrill of the hunt' with. I
    hope your swelling goes down and you continue to
    improve.

Marylee, I'm sure Marlene will be happy to hear from
    you and hear about your experience.

Keep us up on how your feeling and I'll keep sending
    'Well Wishes' your way.

Punk

• marylee_2010
    11 years ago

Marlene, I told you about my experience because I was concerned that you were having the same problem that I had. I hope that your swelling is down, but if it isn;t, I hope you will check it out just to be sure. Marylee

• plainjane425
    11 years ago

Marlene...glad you 'checked in' with us and that everything
    is going well, as expected.
    Must be pleasant to have an OT who shares the same interests as you. I'm sure this
    helps the time go by quickly with the stories you both share.
    I hope the swelling goes down quickly so you can use that cane to move
    around more freely, and in no time at all, you'll start to see each day get easier and better. >> right in time for Spring Gardening!
    Continued prayers for a speedy recovery.
    jane

• Purplemoon
    11 years ago

Marlene, I'm so glad you have an OT gal you can really enjoy. PT "terrorists" can sure give you a run for your money. LOL. And I hope you sail thru it. My friend with fibro here had such a hard time recovering from her knees being done, it really slows healing of ANY thing down. That stinks! But she is walking great now.

Marylee, its a good idea you shared your experience. A person can't be too careful and knowing things to look out for is a help. Glad you did ok thru your recovery.

hugs, Karen

• Marlene Kindred
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks again everyone! And thank you too Marylee. I plan to talk to my OT again tomorrow because the swelling is down some, but it's not coming down as I would like it to. I have been on blood thinners since the surgery (injections in my stomach twice a day), but those finished up yesterday. I'll keep you posted. Thanks for the info though.

Sponsored
Preferred General Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Fairfax County's Specialized, Comprehensive Renovations Firm
More Discussions