Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lynninnewmexico

Night Before Valentine's Table

lynninnewmexico
14 years ago

Emily had her two best friends here for a sleepover and to watch movies and eat pizza in the family room. So, I made a semi-romantic dinner for DH & I, because after all, how can it be VERY romantic when you have three 15 y/o girls shrieking constantly while watching a scary movie in the next room (LOL)?

Anyhoo, we had Corn Timbales topped with a Basil Cream; Orzo; and Shrimp in a Vodka Creme Fraiche Sauce. A great bottle of wine and for dessert, Strawberries Romanoff. It was basically a pink, red & white Valentine's dinner. Afterwards, we played Gin in our living room while listening to Cole Porter. A nice evening!

Lynn

Corn Timbales w Basil Cream

{{gwi:1408536}}

Orzo:

{{gwi:1408537}}

Shrimp in a Vodka Creme Fraiche Sauce:

{{gwi:1408538}}

Strawberries Romanoff:

{{gwi:1408539}}

{{gwi:1408541}}

BTW, DH did make Emily and I a wonderful Valentine's dinner last night, but I haven't downloaded those pics yet.

This was our place setting for breakfast yesterday morning. Try to picture this lovely table set with hot, homemade chocolate chip pancakes w maple syrup, orange juice, cocoa, fresh strawberries . . . and three very tired and disheveled teenage girls, still trying to wake up at 10:30AM. It was a very funny breakfast for DH & I!

{{gwi:1408543}}

Comments (11)

• oldalgebra
    14 years ago

OK. I officially jealous. That's about the most romantic menu I can imagine, with or without the teenage screamers.

I have to confess to never having heard of Timbales before. After looking them up, I think I may have eaten one and never realized it had a special name. There seems to be a number of recipes for spinach timbales on the internet and I think I'm going to try and make them next week. Lynn, what kind of a mold do you use?

• lynninnewmexico
    Original Author
    14 years ago

We had them first at the Sugar Mill restaurant and hotel on Tortola in the BVI. This is that recipe from their cookbook, OA. I make them in half-cup ramekins. I snapped this pic after I took them out of the oven. After five minutes of cooling, you tip them over onto a plate, top with a sauce if you like and serve.
    {{gwi:1408552}}

• party_music50
    14 years ago

I love it... especially with the food! It looks fantastic and sounds wonderful!!! (despite the shreaking girls. lol!)

• jeannespines
    14 years ago

Your semi-romantic tablescape looks wonderful! LOL...semi-romantic & 3 teenage girls! Great combo! Your angel & basket of flowers fits so nicely & the R&W dishes.

Breakfast for the slumbered girls...they probably didn't notice the cute table settings! Looks like a great weekend! TFS! Jeanne S. (and the strawberries dish is my fav!)

• lynninnewmexico
    Original Author
    14 years ago

PM: yes, that shieking did get a bit much, but they're sweet girls, so we just chuckled and turned up the music a bit more ;^D
    Jeanne: thank you! The Strawberies Romanoff is the easiest dessert to make: fresh strawberries served with a small bowl of sour cream surrounded by a ring of brown sugar. I love serving this!
    Lynn

• luckygal
    14 years ago

Lynn, your post brought back many memories of our kids sleepovers! Some good, some not-so-good but all interesting! Boys sleepovers are different from girls! Girls are not as quiet but you usually know what they are up to! Boys, not so much!

I love reading your menus and sometimes have to google to find the recipes to know what you have served. I only eat really interesting things in restaurants as I'm married to a mostly meat/potatoes guy!

Anyhow your food looks delish and your table very romantic! Always love seeing your TS's.

• lynninnewmexico
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Luckygal, thanks! This was a fun one to do.

• plainjane425
    14 years ago

Made me reflect and laugh when my DD was that age, and had similiar sleep overs...However NOT on the night before Valentine's Day! You and DH are good sports...lol
    Love your setting - very romantic and that dinner is another winner.
    Love it all.

jane

• phonegirl
    14 years ago

Lynn,

You are such a busy lady and do it all so well. I have enjoyed seeing all your tables and food. Your table for 2 is as great as your large ones.

Nice that you can laugh about the girls shrieking. They are at a fun age.

Punk

• valleymagpie
    14 years ago

Lynn,
    There you go, using plaid! I love the contrast that plaid brings to a sometimes maybe-too-frilly table. It also gives a nod to the male participant in this most romantic of holidays!
    And I love the little flower plates you're serving the strawberries in. Are they dessert plates or perhaps chip-and-dip? It looks like they're all one piece.

Menu sounds wonderful, where do you find the time?

- Magpie

• kathleen_li
    14 years ago

Love the plaid with the heart setting..very nice!
    Menu sounds delicious too!

Sponsored
Franklin County's Custom Kitchen & Bath Designs for Everyday Living
More Discussions