Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
phonegirl_gw

Early Birthday Dinner Table

phonegirl
13 years ago

The kids and DGD decided to spend the afternoon and evening with us today so I sat our table with purple. DD's birthday is this friday and not sure we will all be able to get together. If we do we'll be waiting with a new table setting.

We enjoyed a nice Sirloin Roast with mashed potatoes, gravy, squash (out of our garden) homemade dinner rolls, veggie tray and costco BDay cake. Had planned on freezing the cake till friday. Some times I do better at last minute planning and never mind when this happens.

I used my new glasses, trees, centerpiece and votive holders from Christmas gifts. The 3 large hurricane candle holders from last Christmas. Lg purple plates Tracy Porter, Pfaltzgraff wht salad, wht octagon are Independence Ironstone and wht/purple under candle holders are Home. The stems are Cristalleria F.lli Fumo Wine Glasses, hand made in Italy. Napkin rings from BDay gift.

I was planning on doing a 3 Kings table but didn't get it done. Used most of it on this table. I added the coasters and napkin rings to take away from that look a little.

Closeup of new stems.

Comments (18)

• nana2010_gw
    13 years ago

Beautiful table, the stems and glass trees are so pretty. I like the white plates under the candle holders. The napkins are very delicate looking. Your center piece is lovely. All in all it makes very elegant table.The dinner sounds delicious too!!
    NanaKaren

• excessfroufrou
    13 years ago

It is so nice to see you putting all your Christmas gifts to good use right away. It is a lovely table. I really like the use of the pine in the centerpiece and the votives are very pretty. The white tablecloth and napkins are the perfect back-drop for DD (possible) Bday table.
    Frou

• plainjane425
    13 years ago

Punk, I agree it's so nice to see you using all your lovely gifts on this table. The color combination is very striking. I like how you grouped your trees & votives with your centerpiece, and your stems are very pretty.
    The embossed white on white pattern on your dishes, is so pretty and delicate.
    I'm sure DD was impressed.

jane

• jeannespines
    13 years ago

First thoughts, purplemoon will be doing her drooling again! LOL!

Striking centerpc...I love the combo...pines, trees, candleholders & light & lovely bow to tie it tog! Very pretty! And wonderful that you've used some Christmas gifts!

Love the stacking of each place setting...that purple is just so vibrant w/the white! Love it! And that small cocktail napkin under the glasses sets them off visually.

Menu sounds like a good Iowa cold day meal! Always fun to hear about kids poppin' in & what a pleasant surprise...you've sure made a special table for your b'day girl! TFS, punk! Jeanne S.
    ps...punk, my DD & her DD (my GD) b'days are this Fri., too! Funny, uh!

• valleymagpie
    13 years ago

Punk,

The table is very pretty but elegant and restrained. I wondered if a purple table would be "masculine" enough for a DD's birthday! Wondering's over--it looks just about right to me. I really like the centerpiece, the pine, and those hurricane votives. The napkin rings are just right! Those were a great gift. I really like the white-purple combination.

- Magpie

• phonegirl
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Nana, thanks for all your sweet comments. The dinner was nice and we had alot of fun.

Frou, glad you liked the cp. I'm not ready to put it away so will put it back in our purple BR for awhile. I had to use the white tc and napkins since I don't own any purple yet. If I stay on here I'm sure it won't be to many years before I do tho.lol

Jane, thanks for your comment on the wht on wht dishes and grouping with trees and votives. I don't always have the perfect ones and try to make do for my tables. DD doesn't act excited about most of my tables but said this was a pretty table. I don't care if she doesn't like them as long as she keeps buying for them.lol

Jeanne, how cool is that! We were in Labor the same day and so was your DD years later. Do you have BDay plans with them on Fri.? I haven't fixed mashed potatoes with roast and gravy for a long time but it was yummy. It is always nice to use the oven when it's cold outside and have more to cook for. Thanks for all your comments in detail.

Magpie, the DD is Dear Daughter. I hadn't used my new napkin rings so it was fun to get them out and use them on this setting.

So glad you were all ready for a wht and purple table. I love coming up with different colors for a change. It's amazing how many dishes I've accumulated in just one year. Not sure I can keep this up and still fit in our home. Thanks again for all your comments.

Punk

• yachter123
    13 years ago

Very rich & elegant looking, the glasses & the trees go together perfectly in color & design. I like that it has a winter look, but not Chrismasy at all.

I bet your DD loved it.

• valleymagpie
    13 years ago

Punk,

What made me think of dear Dad? Maybe I was still thinking of Karen, bless her heart! Well, what I say still goes. The setting is very elegant and understated. Still love the table (LOL)!

- Magpie

• oldalgebra
    13 years ago

Your new purple stems are the bomb! Really like those with the purple dinner plates. Color is my middle name, so this table setting really appeals to me.

My favorite thing on your table is the centerpiece - or should I say more specifically, your trees. They remind me of the 1950s. They look soooo Sunset Magazine.

You know, you really MUST do a Mardi Gras table with those plates and stems. You simply can't get out of it now. Better start planning. You've got plenty of time, so no excuses.

• luvstocraft
    13 years ago

Love how the glasses echo the design on your trees--did you plan that or was it just a happy accident???? LOL I'm enjoying all this purple too, and yes, Jeanne is right--I'm sure Purplemoon is drooling! ;o)

Lovely table and always nice when family can share a meal together.

Luvs

• jeannespines
    13 years ago

punk...thanks for asking...my oldest DD & her oldest DD (my GD) share that same b'day as your DD...we're each 20 yrs apart...don't know if we get to spend any mealtime w/them but we will be seeing them...DGD works way too much! (but she's making it on her own). Thanks, punk! I could smell your roast beef, gravy & mashed potatoes! Jeanne S.

• phonegirl
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Yachter, thanks for your comments on this table. Not Chrismasy but winter is what I was hoping for when I set it. I set it in such a hurry that I see I didn't turn my trees with the pretty side out on all of them.

Magpie, I should of stated DDaughter so you would of known for sure. Either one, glad you liked it. Yes, Karen, Jane and Creek are all having trying times with DDads.

OA, thanks and I may try a MG table but don't know if I have much to put on it. I fell in love with these trees and some others at Shopko this year and DD never fails me. She listens to close sometimes but is always thinking of my tables for me while shopping. My jaw really dropped when I seen these stems. May be a little to upper class for me.lol

Luvs, this was an accident with the trees and stems but they do seem to go together. When I received them I was thinking about using DM's 3 wisemen and setting a table but didn't have time.

Jeanne, 20 years is perfect. Your still young enough to enjoy all the sports and life with them. I always told our children that they needed to be able to support their family if they were alone so it takes alot of hard work to be able to do this. Your DGD will appreciate life more with having to work to achieve it. Both our children own businesses and it's paying off. DD and I are 24 years apart and her and her DD are 25. She had to finish college, get married, own a home before having children. Wish we were all so disciplined in life.lol

Thanks for all the wonderful comments on this table. I need to go make dinner rolls for dinner tomorrow evening at friends. May try to start a new table also.

Punk

• nancyjeanmc
    13 years ago

What a wonderful way to make someone feel special.

• phonegirl
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Nancy, thank you so much...She is very Special.

Punk

• tugsmomma
    13 years ago

So elegant..I would certainly LOVE LOVE LOVE that for my birthday table since February's birthstone is amethyst. The tone on tone play from pink to purple to blue is very pretty and the shades are just perfect.

• phonegirl
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Lee, this would work for your Feb. BDay. You just gave me an idea to use birthstone colors for setting BDay tables. I'm still learning and love new ideas.

Thanks so much for your comments on this table.

Punk

• Purplemoon
    13 years ago

Punk, I'm late to the birthday party..and the PURPLE setting. Oh my, how did I miss this one! Its beautiful.
    (and TM, what a great idea for birthdays, doing birthstone
    tables.)

Punk, I wish I could comment on EACH piece on this table
    but my energy level is sadly lacking, forgive me if I just say I love it and think its wonderful.

Oh, some of the DD and DS abbreviations can be confusing.
    DD is usally daughter, and its easy to just say Dad to keep those two straight. DS tho, dear sister or dear son.
    You kind of have to read the whole post to figure it out.
    LOL. I confuse easily so sometimes its a bit of challenge.
    I decided if there's just 3 letters like Dad or Son, I'll
    use them and leave the abbreviations for the longer ones.
    But sometimes its kind of fun to see what's shortened....
    like Jeanne's T-Flooking. That's a riot every time I think about it.

hugs, Karen

• phonegirl
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Karen, thanks for your comments. I looked for some trees for you but they must of sold out. Good idea on how to abrreviate on here. We no longer have dads in our lives so I forget DD could also be for dad. We do need to have a laugh over ones like Jeanne's alright.

Keep us informed on you and dad cuz we care.

Punk

Sponsored
More Discussions