Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
plainjane425

I hope not tooo late - DH's Christmas Village #1

plainjane425
12 years ago

Sorry this is so late. It's been one thing after another since Thanksgiving and I'm just greatful that I had a chance to take these pictures of DH's Christmas Village before he took it down. This is the second time our oldest Grdson (14) wanted to help set it up and insisted on a 'new bigger layout'. New I was all for - but BIGGER...I had to draw the line - so they extended it about another foot! lol I loved that he and DH enjoyed working on it together and exchanging creative ideas.

See what you think....

This year they built a tunnel for a small train set..Gathered small rocks outside and set them into the

opening of the tunnel.

I've always said that DH places everything and everyone as tho 'he lives' in this village!! I wish I lived there!!!

Hope you didn't mind looking so far...I've got some more to show.

jane

Comments (14)

• phonegirl
    12 years ago

Jane, this is so awesome. I wouldn't mind living there either.LOL Looks like alot of fun going on. And as I said in my last post such lovely details. Looks like everyone has a place. Love all the smoke coming out of each chimneys too.

What a wonderful time DH and DGS must of had creating this big village. Now that's quality time together! I'm sure DGS will always remember and carry on the tradition.

Be sure and let them know how much I enjoyed seeing their village. So glad you shared this!!!

Punk

• Purplemoon
    12 years ago

Never, Ever, too late to see this! Your DH's Village has always been so wonderful and this year's no exception. I love it, and wish I could create such a realistic and big Village. (do you want an orange cat?? LOL).

I think its fantastic your teenage grandson is so interested, hopefully this is something he will continue thru-out his life. I'm sure he will, as I have a feeling his Grandpa's love of it will firmly stay with him. What memories they are making doing this together!

I'm so glad I saw your post tonight, making me smile and feel good. I'll save some of the pix for our Village album too. Tell DH he's got a fan in Phoenix. ;o) Tho again, I have "train envy". LOL. Got to get one of those someday.

hugs, Karen

• nana2010_gw
    12 years ago

It's never too late to show such wonderful pictures!!
    I think it's fantastic that your DGS likes to help and shares ideas with your DH.
    I agree with Karen, they are making wonderful memories.
    Nana

• plainjane425
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks ladies..I'm glad you didn't mind seeing these late Christmas pics.

You are all right about DH & DGS making wonderful memories together...this makes DH & I so happy. Our Grkids have had some rough times experiencing divorce between their parents with lots of upheavel, so anything we can do to add a positive effect on them (good memories) makes us feel better.

Punk...I'm glad I'm not the only one who would like to live in this village..it reminds me of 'It's A Wonderful Life'..!

Karen, I'm laughing over 'Jazz' and you setting up a village..I don't think he would be as dainty - sitting in it as Lynne's cat!!

Thank you too Nana for your sweet words..we realize that when our Gkids grow up and move on..we won't get to spend the same time with them, but hopefully those good memories will always be with them.

jane

• kathleen_li
    12 years ago

That is so wonderful, Jane. I never tire of it! What a labor of love! Kudos to dh!

• christmascandy
    12 years ago

This is so fabulous.
    Since I have everything decorated to the max, I don't have room for as large a village as that, but I sure think it is amazing. I love the train and the tunnel, the kid making the snow angel, all the little details!! It does look like the epitome of small town America at the height of perfection. Is Ralphie from A Christmas Story part of the cast?? LOL

Thanks for the view of your DH's village. I think it is super that DGS and DH both worked on it. My DH won't participate in ANY of the decorating and that includes setting up and taking down.

Beautiful.

TFS,
    Candy

• plainjane425
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks Kathleen and Candy. I'm glad you enjoyed looking.

Kathleen, I never tire of looking and 'hearing' it too.
    Some of the buildings and trees play music..and the skating rink has sound effects of music and the sound of people laughing at an ice rink!

Candy...It does take up quite a bit of space and if it was up to DH & my Grson - they'd fill up the whole Living Room.
    They were really trying to convince me to allow them to make it bigger and put some of the furniture away!
    I had a hard time holding my ground in keeping it a reasonable size for the room!

jane

• jeannespines
    12 years ago

Wow, it looks like it is BIG! What size table/plywood or whatever is it? This must be yrs & yrs of 'collecting'...what an heirloom & that your DGS shares this experience w/your DH, jane!

I am certainly in awe as I do not share this tradition ...the village...wow, like a Norman Rockwell painting or something! So many details ...thanks for those pics...the 'snow angel,' the 'fiddlers', iceskaters & village community people...the policeman...just so detailed! All those cars/trucks, wow!

But the train! That's so cool how it skirts around the village! Great addition of the tunnel & rocks! I bet this is beautiful all lit up at night! What fun ...but oh, how much work! TFS, jane! Jeanne S.

• luvstocraft
    12 years ago

That has to be the best layout I've seen. Love that it really feels like the perfect small town. The boy making the snow angel while his dog watched just really made me smile! And what a great job they did on the tunnel for the train. It all just looks wonderful, my congrats to both your DH and DGS for a job well done. Luvs

• party_music50
    12 years ago

OMG, it is BEAUTIFUL! but what a lot of work! (and space :) Just dealing with all the electrical cords must be a nightmare, so better them than me. :)

• plainjane425
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thank you ladies...The Village is All down and put away!
    It took DH only two days and it's all organized too.

When I mentioned to DH all the nice compliments that he and my Gdson received - he had the biggest smile and shook his head saying.. Does this mean we're famous!! lol
    He also said to give you ALL a big Thank You from him!

jane

• Purplemoon
    12 years ago

Tell him YES, he IS famous. I am putting some of his Village pix in our Inspiration album for people to enjoy for many years to come. I just need to get my butt in gear and finish loading some Xmas photos to our albums. I'm so far behind its ridiculous. Sorry about that.

Its been so long ago, but I once saw a Village set-up idea
    that blew me away. I think it was in the Sat. home section of our paper years ago. The lady had an area in her home that was sort like an alcove, or maybe a giant coat closet. Her village was set up with 3 or 4 multi-tiers, tho it didn't look like just "houses on shelves" at all. It was really set up as a town and had one or two trains. But she had some kind of bi-fold doors, and when not displayed, she just closed the doors and no one knew there was a huge Village behind them!! I loved it.

hugs, Karen

• Purplemoon
    12 years ago

here you go....
    ;o)

Here is a link that might be useful: our Village album

• plainjane425
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks Karen. I showed DH the pictures you posted in the album. He's amazed that we do this and is very
    appreciative.
    I told him about the woman with the 'closet village'.
    That impressed him. He used to joke that he wished he had a small room 'all to himself' to do that! I told him 'no way am I giving up a room for that purpose'!...although I do think it's a great idea.
    Thanks again.

jane

Sponsored
More Discussions