Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
christmascandy

Grandkids Room

christmascandy
13 years ago

This is a bedroom for the grandkids when they visit. The tree has stockings on it for all nine GK'S. I'm going to have to find an additional stocking for next Christmas. Yeah!! The Raggedies were my oldest daughters when she was little. The wooden truck is a TS find.

The desk has a Playmobil nativity for the GK's to play with and a storybook to accompany it. The house on the right side of the desk has lights and reads the entire story of The Night Before Christmas. The lampshade came from a TS and has holes punched to let light through where there are windows and lanterns in the picture.

The hutch has a Christmas Tree tea set from a TS, and various toys with which to play. The ceramic piece left of the hutch is one I painted in the 70's.

This tree has pink and burgundy ornaments for the DGD's and clear lights. Snoring Santa actually snores and there is a storybook of Barbie in the Nutcracker.

There are 2 more trees in this room that are small, plain trees and a basket of ornaments for the GK's to decorate them as they please. When my now 9 yr. old DGS was 2 he decorated one of the trees by just walking around and putting everything on the top. Then he stood back with his hands on his hips and said "Grandma, its bue-i-ful!"

Unfortunately, they are so big now and in so many activities, they didn't have time to come and stay and decorate the trees this year. : (

I'm glad they're busy and active, but its hard to find time for visits. I do go to their activities when time permits.

TTFN,

Candy

Comments (11)

• jeannespines
    13 years ago

That's a wonderful room for your GK's, candy! I love seeing all that "hands on" stuff!...the ornies in baskets to decorate the trees is such a cool idea ...& of course, all the books you mentioned! Yup, they grow fast, too...but boy, oh boy, there will always be some cherished memories for them & you alike! TFS! Jeanne S. Very comfy & cozy!!!

• Purplemoon
    13 years ago

I wish I was one of your grandkids, sigh.
    Is it too late to adopt me? I love this room!
    Really, truly love it.
    Thank you for letting me see "Christmas thru a child's eyes" again.

hugs, Karen

• phonegirl
    13 years ago

Candy, darling gkids room all decorated. As Jeanne said love all the "hands on" stuff!...I have that same little red house I bought for DGD a couple of years ago. I had that same little snoring santa in bed but DD has it.

I would of loved seeing the tree DGS decorated that was bue-i-ful. Such fun times when it comes from the heart. Your ceramic piece you painted is pretty. Cute Christmas dish set and everything is wonderful.

As Karen said, Thank you for letting me see "Christmas thru a child's eyes" again. They do grow up fast so one needs to attend their activities when possible for sure.

Punk

• excessfroufrou
    13 years ago

You are so lucky to so many grandkids. And the room is darling, it looks like a lot of fun for them. I love the miniatures in the little hutch and the pink girl in the egg-looking ornie.
    Frou

• ladypat1
    13 years ago

What a cute little Christmas wonderland! SO much detail to catch one's attention. I love the little doll chairs, used for the lamp and on wall. They will remember Grandma's Christmas room just for them all their lives. Yes they are getting busy, but they will remember the things you did for them.

Pat

• lynnencfan
    13 years ago

oh my what cherished memories your grandchildren will have of 'their' room. I love everything about the room and especially like the idea of having ornaments that they can use to decorate their own tree. I will use that idea for my grandaughter and grand nieces for next year. Yes they grow up and get busy but I know the memories will be there forever :) .....

Lynne

• oldalgebra
    13 years ago

Oh, my heart is glowing. I can feel it. What wonderful ideas. It's beu-i-ful.
    Remember those lines from A Christmas Cup of Tea? I can't remember them exactly, but they went sort of like this:

"All at once I was six again,
    Deep in the Christmas Spell,
    Steeped within the memories
    The child inside knew well."

I'm so glad you shared this. You know, I thought I was through with Christmas, I'd had my fill. But I'm sure glad I took the time to read this.

• nana2010_gw
    13 years ago

CC, Wonderful room.
    What lucky grand kids!!!
    NanaKaren

• christmascandy
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Jeanne, that room has a number of toys in the closet, and they know to go there and that is their place to make messes and set up the legos, or the dolls, etc.

Karen, I want you as my sister, so yes, I will adopt you into the family, LOL.

Punk, I can't believe how quickly time flies, and now they are in sports, and school activities and the 4 yr. old DGD is in ballet, and..and..and... I'm going to the boys basketball games this Sat.

Frou, I am very blessed, but unfortunately, 4 of the step GKS live in San Diego and they don't get to visit very often. We did go see them in early Dec. and had a marathon cookie baking day with Grandma. Boy, was I tired after that one!

Pat, the ones who live here all come over for a cookie baking day before Christmas and last year the middle DGS had an invite to a friend's B-day party. My DD asked him if he wanted to go to the friend's party and he said "are you kidding, I wouldn't miss cookie day at Grandma's!"
    We have special aprons, put the Christmas music on and flour goes everywhere! Then we watch Rudolf and the Island of Misfit Toys.

Lynne, all of those ornaments are small as the trees are small, and everything is unbreakable, so they can use any of the ornaments they want.

QA, good memory! I have that book and the matching teacup and saucer, and the sequel "A Memory of Christmas Tea."
    The lines are
    "Like magic, I was six again,
    deep in a Christmas spell,
    Steeped in the million memories,
    the boy inside knew well."
    You remembered it almost word for word! Very impressive.
    but then you always are!

Thanks everybody. Its always so uplifting to log on and see your messages, especially after a long day at work.

TTFN,
    Candy

• luvstocraft
    13 years ago

I'm late posting to this, but just have to tell you that I sure enjoyed hearing about the kids Christmas room. I really love that you had a tree and ornaments for the kids to do--so many times we grownups want everything to look "perfect" and we forget that part of the fun is in the doing. I have the Christmas tea book too, and loved the quote you all remembered. You are a sweet Grandma, Candy. Luvs

• plainjane425
    13 years ago

What a wonderful room for your all your Grandkids to enjoy and have such great memories as well.
    Everything in it is like a 'child's dream at Christmas'!
    You are such a creative and loving GM. I think they as well as you, are blessed to have ea other in your lives.

jane

Sponsored
Emily Rudolph Interiors
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars25 Reviews
Hands-On & Collaborative Columbus Interior Designer
More Discussions