Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
luvstocraft

Trying something, you can help.

luvstocraft
9 years ago

Any of you who see my pins on Pinterest know that I am loving anything on those tiered pedestals, in a cloche or on a tray right now. So I decided to "play" a little bit, give me some opinions on what's looking good and what and how I could tweak it, okay?

I had this on my kitchen table. Cute snowmen in a cloche on a blue placemat.

Comments (16)

• luvstocraft
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Then I decided to try using them on a big silver tray that I had in my stash. I think it might look better on a tablecloth. Do you think this is cuter? What would you tweak? Don't worry, my feelings won't get hurt, I'm just playing and trying to develop some finesse with vignettes.

• nana2010_gw
    9 years ago

luvs I like your vignette on the silver tray.
    Why don't you try it with a tablecloth maybe a blue one
    I might try doing one
    Nana

• luvstocraft
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Yes, I think you are right Nana. I don't have a blue tablecloth, but I'll have to see what I do have that might work. Even a white one might be better than the wood tabletop I think. Will keep tweaking, got to get these little guys packed away soon and do something for Valentines for my little DGD. Thanks for your input.

• oldalgebra
    9 years ago

Hi!
    I like the vignette with the cloche on the tray.
    Like the berry wreath and the crocheted piece too.
    I think I'd remove the two snowflakes, so as not to take the eye away from the figurines.

Glad to see you posting again.

• jeannespines
    9 years ago

Ohh ... I love the silver tray one ... the doily & the cloche .. & of course, those cute snow people! Your pic looks great ... I can't tell if the candle is too tall or not ... but could try this without it... if you're worried about proportion. I like that tray against your wood table ... & yes, like OA, I would suggest trying it w/o the 2 snowflakes. :-) ~~Jeanne

• luvstocraft
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Well, I tried a couple more things. I'm sure not very good at this stuff, but it's fun to play, right?

I removed the candle and one of the snowmen pieces. Added some flowers and a little white pitcher.

I don't have a blue tablecloth, will put that on my wish list for this year I think.

Tried my only quilt that had blue in it, but think it's too pastel for a "winter" theme, don't you?

• luvstocraft
    Original Author
    9 years ago

So then I tried using this blue/white striped sheet. I think it goes with the winter theme better.

I love seeing the silver platters in other people's décor, but for me, I think I'd like it better painted white! lol

Okay, enough playing with Winter. Need to see what I have for Valentine decorations. Now that my main Valentine, my husband, is gone, I will just put out a bit for my DGD, my friends, and for me to enjoy I guess.

• jeannespines
    9 years ago

Hugs, luv .... some Valentine decor will help a bit ... with your darling GD.

The sheet is very wintery looking ... love it! ;-) ~~Jeanne

• luvstocraft
    Original Author
    9 years ago

OA, I took your advise and removed the snowflakes. Tried a couple other looks too. None look as good as the ones I see other's put together. Think I'm missing that decorator "gene" or just don't have enough inventory to play with. How's that for an excuse to bring home more "stuff"? lol

Jeanne, you are so sweet, you always make the nicest comments. I ended up with it just on the wood, easier to move it out of the way when little GD and I want to use the table. I do like the idea of things on trays for that reason, and I think a grouping is more interesting that just one thing by itself.

Okay, will get the Winter packed up and on to Valentines. I don't have much for Valentines except my cupid collection.

Thanks for participating. The more I try, the more I learn.

Luvs

• Purplemoon
    9 years ago

The striped sheet looked nice, but I liked it best on the wood. And I agree with the others about candle too tall and removing the two snowflakes. But other than that, I really liked the first photo with both the figurines.

I was getting hooked on "tray vignettes" even before I discovered all the neat ideas on Pinterest. I think trays add so much to the looks, plus makes it SO easy to move stuff without messing it up. I had picked up two wood trays several years ago, which everyone here has seen with stuff on them. I'd like to find a silver one similar to yours tho, has that "vintage" look to me so I wouldn't paint it.

I hope any of the gang here on Pinterest checks out your boards and follows you....you're saving some neat stuff for decorating.
    hugs, Karen

• luvstocraft
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks for your suggestions Karen. I did go back to just having it on the wood just because that table gets used so much. And yes, the trays are great for being able to move without messing it up.

Tuesdays, my sweet friend/neighbor and I go to breakfast and yesterday was no exception! Afterwards we hit two "treasure shops" and I found some neat stuff, mainly things to use as "trays" to do more arrangements. I'll have to get pics taken so I can share them on here for all of you to see.

Karen, I probably won't paint this tray, although the middle of it is messed up somewhat. I can just use a doily or shredded paper or something to hide that part. Used to get these silver trays so cheap because no one wanted them, but not anymore!

Luvs

• phonegirl
    9 years ago

I love all your pictures you posted! I think you have great
    Taste. It's always fun to have others suggest and play
    Some more! This is why we Love Our Holiday Family!

Punk

• yachter123
    9 years ago

Luvs, I did a Christmas tray for my son's coffee table with the same flowers but in tan & also used a pitcher. That's my favorite of your vignettes.

• yachter123
    9 years ago

Luvs, I'm going to post the tray I did for my sons house, in a seperate post tonight. Hopefully, if my IPad cooperates.

• kathleen_li
    9 years ago

Hi Luvs,
    It looks adorable! Hope you are well!
    K

• steiconi
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

They're all cute, but I think what's missing for me is color--it's kind of cold and very monochromatic, with silver, gray, white, pale blue. The wood table looks good because it adds some warm tones to the design. You might try replacing the gray-looking wreath with one of a natural grapevine color.

One really helpful design tip is to choose some fabric or a picture (or your wallpaper) as color inspiration. Look at the proportion of each color and how the colors relate to each other. Some designers use a 75-20-5 rule; 75% of the main color, 20% of a contrasting color, and 5% of an accent color. For instance, 75% cream, 20% blue, 5% soft gold or orange. Orange is opposite blue on the color wheel, so they compliment each other, but keep both soft or both bright.

Sponsored
Dream Design Construction LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Loudoun County's Innovative Design-Build Firms
More Discussions