Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
oldalgebra

Doily Picture

oldalgebra
13 years ago

Thought I share this idea concerning old doilies (if you have any sentimental value attached to them).

Listen, gals, there's no need to feel you have to comment. REALLY! You are all so kind, and I do love to read your comments when you like things, but this is really off topic. And I only mean for you to "drop by" for a quick glance. And honestly, there's not much to say about these. Just thought, in case you or someone you know has some old hand work they don't use in their everyday decor, but can't bring themselves to though it out, this is one solution.

Still, I think it's worth a look and wanted to show it off to my internet buddies.

OA

Here is a link that might be useful: Doily Picture

Comments (10)

• excessfroufrou
    13 years ago

That is such a cute idea. I love doilies and have several around the house even though they are out of style. They are to frou-frou for most people, but hey if the doily fits...
    Frou

• phonegirl
    13 years ago

You never cease to amaze with all your creative ideas. This is a wonderful idea and your picture turned out beautiful. So glad you came up with this and shared. I have so many of DGM, DM and my own. I have a cluster of grapes that DGD crocheted over pop caps and this could be fun to try framing. Thanks so much.

Punk

• oldalgebra
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Punk,
    That's exactly why I posted it. Like Frou said, they are "out of style" and don't seem to lend themselves to today's current decorating trends, so people have stopped using them. Still, I think many of us have things that are too dear to our hearts to actually throw out.

I think your cluster of grapes would be fabulous if you framed it.

• plainjane425
    13 years ago

OA..I agree this is a clever use of old and sentimental doiles. I love how you put them together and gave them
    'new life' ...Very creative idea and the end results is very pretty.
    I'm glad you posted this...thanks.

jane

• phonegirl
    13 years ago

I meant to say DGM not DGD on my post.lol I don't think I should try to make anyone believe my little GD who's 5 would be capable of this.

I still love the look of doilies in a home and don't think they are out of style. To me they add a warm and elegant feeling in a home when displayed. However, I'm to lazy to keep them starched is why I don't use them as much as I use to.lol

Thanks again for posting this.

Punk

• luvstocraft
    13 years ago

What a nice picture they made, OA. I have some DH's grandmother made and some one of my Aunt's made. I do use a few, and have the others on display hanging on a wooden holder with dowels across--I think it was made to hold magazines. And you are right, they are just much too special to part with. I'm hoping DIL will pack some away and save them for little GD to have when she grows up.

Luvs

• nana2010_gw
    13 years ago

OA, What a clever way to display the doilies.
    I still use some in my living room.
    I have some small round ones from my great aunt I draped them over the edge of the shelves in the cabinet where I keep my glassware. I like how it looks, and that way they're not stuck in a drawer somewhere.
    It would be fun to see how other people use them.
    NanaKaren

• lynnencfan
    13 years ago

I love doilies and use them as much as I can in my home - I do have some older ones that I have put away because they are getting worn and your idea makes me think they will be adorning a wall soon. I love that idea. I think there is such a warm, homey feeling seeing doilies on arm chairs, back of sofa, under a vase, ect. I also drape them on my cabinet shelves - I have my grandmothers original crochet books and some of her needles on display in a curio cabinet - TFS your love of your older generations work .....

Lynne

• Marlene Kindred
    13 years ago

OMGosh...I have a TON of doilies and dresser scarves. I'm drawn to them whenever I see them in a store. My grandmother used to make them and quilts and I am so in awe of the ladies who had such a great talent. I can never bring myself to throw any of them away, so I have bits and pieces stuck everywhere. This is a great idea on how to use some of them. Thanks so much for sharing it!

• dreamgoddess
    13 years ago

OA, what a wonderful idea! I have tons of doilies and don't give a hoot if they're out of style or not. I love using them in my home.

I only have two that belonged to my grandmother...I don't know if she made them or if perhaps her mother or mother-in-law made them. I would love to display them, but they're so dingy that I don't want to. I wish I knew how to "freshen" them up.

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths
More Discussions