Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
shysue

Old Ice Skates to Centerpiece

shysue
14 years ago

Hi, I don't usually post on this forum. I mostly post to Trash to Treasure, Garden Junk, and Crafts. I posted a picture of a centerpiece that I had made on the Trash to Treasure site to show one way old ice skates could be repurposed. Sunnyca and Jaybird suggested I post a picture on the Holidays forum.

I had a lot of people coming for Christmas and needed a large centerpiece for my table. I painted a pair of old ice skates, put them on a table mirror (both bought at yard sales), and made myself one. I know they are "different", but I have always liked the unusual. LOL

Comments (13)

• milosmom_gw
    14 years ago

I like "different". :)
    Such a creative way to repurpose and beautiful to.

• Purplemoon
    14 years ago

Shysue, glad to see you over here. Your centerpiece is a wonderful idea. Different is good!

hugs, Karen

• jeannespines
    14 years ago

shysue...Love it! Did you hinge blocks of wood to insert the skate blade & also drill a hole & tie down? Your tablescape is gorgeous & looks so festive...love the silver you used in ornies, ribbon, various snowflakes, etc. And how your napkins are folded like "pine trees!" Do you have a written version of instruction for those? TFS & good to see a post from you! I'm usually on GJ, too! But been pestering everyone over here, enjoying & learning so much! Jeanne S.

• plainjane425
    14 years ago

Welcome Shysue...

That's quite a different and unique centerpiece.
    I'm sure it made a real hit at your table.
    I like the Silver Baubles and the Snowflakes for added
    'Bling' and putting them on a mirror...Great Look.

jane

• phonegirl
    14 years ago

What a wonderful idea for your centerpiece. Great painting and decorating job. I love the chocheted snowflakes. Did you make them yourself? Thanks so much for sharing this with all of us.

I painted two roses on one skate and haven't gotten back to do any more. After seeing this maybe I don't need to paint. I could just decorate them.

Punk

• luvstocraft
    14 years ago

That's a really pretty pair of skates, and what a great idea to put them on the mirror along with the little crystal snowflakes. I like your plates and the folded napkin too. Glad you came over to share with us--please come back often. ;o) Luvs

• excessfroufrou
    14 years ago

I love repurposing things and you did a excellent job. Glad to see you posting over here, I forget to look at some of the other forums. The mirror table runner really sets them off. And Jeanne is right, how do you fold those napkins?
    Syble

• jaybird
    14 years ago

Yaaayyyy she did come to visit us!!! Thank you Sue for bringing your pretty pictures over here!!
    We appreciate you!
    J

• lynninnewmexico
    14 years ago

Welcome to our forum, Shysue . . . I'm glad you came to show us your tablescape! I think it's wonderfully imaginative and very lovely! Painting the holding blocks silver was a super idea and the mirrors add so much to the arrangement. The entire table looks so pretty and festive. I like your out-of-the-box ideas!! Please come more often!
    Lynn

• shysue
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thank you for all the compliments. You are all so nice. I'm glad you liked it.

For those who requested the napkin fold, I got the fold from a blog, but I'm sorry, I can't remember which one. I looked for it again, but could not find it. I will try to give you her instructions. She stated that she did not want anyone to use her photos, and I will respect that. So maybe you can figure it out without them.

* Start with the napkin fully open.

* Fold in half and fold again in half. You now have a square.

* Turn the 4-layered open corner toward you. Begin to peel up each of the 4 layers to align with the top point of the napkin. Space each layer about 1 inch apart.

* Now carefully turn the napkin over trying not to disturb your layers.

* Bring the left and right sides together, neatly aligning the top of each panel to form a triangular space at the top of the napkin. The bottom point should be about 1 inch wide.

* Now flip the napkin over from bottom to top.

* Once the napkin has been flipped over, take the top flap and gently peel it up until it forms a neat triangle. It will look sloppy if you allow the triangle to droop. Be careful not to pull the top up too far as this could result in having to start over.

* Repeat this step with each layer, tucking the tip beneath each previous fold. Make sure the bottom portion is perfectly aligned with the backside.

At this point the napkin can be arranged flat on top of a plate, or it can be placed upright by pulling the back panels out slightly or leaning it against something. This fold looks beautiful as is, or a metallic star sticker can be placed at the top of the tree.

• kathleen_li
    14 years ago

Hi Sue,
    I love that centerpiece...it would go great with an all silver and white too..
    Very clever idea!

• luckygal
    14 years ago

That's very cute, Sue! I love the use of silver ribbon as laces. TFS

• oldalgebra
    14 years ago

Hi, Sue,
    I tried the napkin thing and it works! Oh my gosh, it's so great.

I only had a problem with one step. In order to make it clearer because there are no pictures, I think one of the last steps should read:

* Repeat this step with each layer (including the last folded layer), tucking the tip beneath each previous fold. This should make 5 layers. Make sure the bottom portion is perfectly aligned with the backside.

I used an 18-inch by about 19-inch napkin that has been washed several times. Just grabbed what I had. It stood up very nicely. Imagine it would be even better if a little spray starch were used.

Thank you so, so much for going to the trouble of sharing this. One could always put the name of the guest on the sticker star.

I'm off the buy some kelly green napkins.

Sponsored
Columbus' Home Design Experts Specializing in Custom Cabinets
More Discussions