Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
marlene_kindred

OT--time for a new knee

Marlene Kindred
11 years ago

Well ladies...it's finally happened. My DH has finally worn me out!! Not really. I've had terrible degenerative arthritis for years and had knee surgery a few years ago. I've lived with the pain for so long, I've gotten used to it. But around Thanksgiving, my knee took a turn for the worse and it was just unbearable. Went to the doctor and they took xrays. He wanted to know why I hadn't been in sooner considering my knee has no cartilage left and I've worn the bone away. So, he put a shot of cortisone in and that has helped me for the past few weeks. But, the only option left is a total knee replacement...which will happen on January 29th. I'm a bit anxious, but I also know that I am looking forward to being able to walk without being in misery. So....off I'll go. I will be off from work for 6-8 weeks, but I'm lucky enough to be able to do a lot from home. Just wanted to share my plight with you ladies and ask for prayers for my surgeon and for me for a good recovery.

Thanks for sharing and listening!
~M

Comments (14)

• nana2010_gw
    11 years ago

Sorry you have to have surgery, Marlene.
    Everyone I know who has had knee replacement is 100% better
    I will keep you in my thoughts and prayers.
    Nana

• Purplemoon
    11 years ago

Oh how I wish you didn't have to go thru this...but if it gets rid of that horrible pain and you can walk good again, it'll be worth it.
    I have two friends here that went thru that, on both their knees (tho their docs did each knee a year or more apart).
    The long recovery and physical therapy wasn't fun, but the new knees work great for them.

Will send you a big load of prayers and good thoughts till you are back 100%. ;o)
    hugs my sweet friend,
    Karen

• phonegirl
    11 years ago

Marlene, not the best way to get a vacation from work!
    You are lucky you can do alot of the work from home tho.
    Sure hope your new knee will stop all the pain you've been
    dealing with. I've only herd positive comments from those
    who've had knee replacements.

Keep us informed how your doing once your released
    from the hospital. Wanna share your address so we
    can send you chocolates to sweeten your days while
    you recover?

Will be sending prayers your way. Punk

• party_music50
    11 years ago

Marlene, I know that it's always scarey to face having surgery, but they have come a long way with the ability to perform successful knee replacements. I too have several friends who have had the procedure done and nearly all had an excellent result. From the description of your current condition, I'm sure the surgery should bring you great relief!

Wishing you the best of luck for an easy surgery and speedy recovery!!!

• oldalgebra
    11 years ago

M,
    A friend of mine just had both knees done. The operations were just 4 months apart, as it helped to keep down rhe cost to get them both in before the end if the year (insurance stuff). I think they made some great strides in this area lately. Despite the pain, she said she'd do it again in a heart beat, as she can walk without pain again. She has a golfing date set for next weekend.

• Marlene Kindred
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks ladies for all of the wonderful encouragement! I certainly do appreciate the support of this group and your continued prayers.

As for chocolates....they can never hurt. Karen has my address.

• luvstocraft
    11 years ago

Best of luck to you Marlene, I'm sure it will be such a huge relief when the pain is gone. My thoughts and prayers are with you. Luvs

• jeannespines
    11 years ago

Well I'm glad you're biting the bullet, Marlene & that DH is watching out for you ...we all put off that nasty word, surgery. I know there are lots of 'good new knees' out there in my world of friends, too ...so will add you to prayer...please remind us again...& enjoy what you can til Jan 29th. Hugs, JeanneS.

• yborgal
    11 years ago

I had both knees replaced...12 weeks apart. It's wonderful to be able to wak pain free. Unless I look at the skinny scars I forget those knees aren't my original ones.

Good luck...doing your rehab exercises is the key to mobility.

• kathleen_li
    11 years ago

Marlene, prayers for you for a successful surgery and a speedy recovery! My bil just had his done in Dec. and he is doing great, walking without a cane.
    Any surgery is frightening, but this will give you such relief!
    All the best!

• plainjane425
    11 years ago

Marlene...sorry to hear about your knee and impending surgery.
    However, it's best you're having it done
    to help relieve your pain and improve
    your walking . !

Last year, I had surgery on my left foot and ankle due to degenerative
    arthritis and was supposed to have the same surgery this year on the right one.
    With my house up for sale now, I've been putting it off, but really wish
    I could get it done and have it over with.

Good luck with your surgery on the 29th. You'll be so
    happy you did it.
    Prayers for a quick recovery.
    jane

• lynninnewmexico
    11 years ago

Marlene, I'm glad you've made the decision to go for it! I worked in orthopedics for many years and have seen with my own eyes the good these knee replacements do for people. Two quick personal stories about them:
    My great uncle had both of his knees replaced, several months apart. I asked him afterwards about his recovery. He said, "Pain? I lived with pain 24/7 for years. My recovery was a cinch compared to that. Now I have bionic knees. I can dance with your aunt again. I feel 20 years younger and I love it!"

My sweet mom nursed a bad knee for several years, always putting off the replacement surgery that she needed. She was a little dynamo into her late-70's. Everyone said she reminded them of Doris Day~ small, pretty, blond and energetic. In the course of one year (2011-12) she aged at least ten years in her looks and how she acted and felt, because of the pain. And, the loss of mobility caused her health to deteriorate. When she finally went to see about a knee replacement, it was too late. Her age and new heart problems make that surgery out of the question now. Such a heartbreaking waste!

So, hang onto the fact that this surgery is going to add years to your life . . . and make you feel many years younger. And, when you feel younger, you look younger. It's a win/win situation and I'm really happy for you!
    Lynn

• Marlene Kindred
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks everyone for the support. And thanks Lynn for the stories you shared. Even though I am much younger than most people getting replacements (54) and the doctor said I would most likely have to have it redone in about 25 years, I just can't go on not being able to move without being in agony. I am so tired of not being able to exercise and I've gained a ton of unwanted weight because of the stress and not being mobile...so I am definitely ready!

Thanks again ladies for all of the encouragement.

• marylee_2010
    11 years ago

Marlene, I had total knee replacement two years ago. I am so glad I did. Being able to walk without pain is wonderful. You will wish you had the procedure earlier.

Good Luck! I will send thoughts and prayers your way. Marylee

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!
More Discussions