Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dreamgoddess_01

Boy, do I feel stupid...

dreamgoddess
13 years ago

I've been trying to work on a tablesetting for a couple of days now and finally had everything I needed for it. One of the necessary items was a piece of white styrofoam and naturally all I could find at WM was green.

So, I get the brilliant idea to spray paint it white. I did and when I went back outside to get it, it was nowhere to be found...just a puddle of paint where it had been sitting. I came back in the house furious cause my DH's puppy took my styrofoam!

By this time it's totally dark, so we get the flashlight and go out trying to find the styrofoam. I finally find the puppy and what do you know...no styrofoam! The dog just looks up at me with this innocent expression on his face. Oh, but I wasn't fooled! I just knew he had swiped it cause he loves to chew anything he can get his teeth into.

So, my DH asked me to show him where I had put it to paint it. I took him over to where I had put the piece and when he got to looking at it, he told me it was still right there where I had placed it.

Did you know that you can't spray paint styrofoam with Krylon? Apparently, the oils in the paint break down the styrofoam into a gooey mess. My youngest daughter just looked at me and informed me that "someone owes Domino an apology".

I just quietly slipped back in the house.

Comments (19)

• oldalgebra
    13 years ago

DD,
    I knew this. Only because I tried to spary styrofoam once myself.

What amazes me is, you must have sprayed the beejeezers out of it not to see anything remaining in its place. I know it's not funny to you, but I'm smiling.

• dreamgoddess
    Original Author
    13 years ago

OA, beejeezers is one way of putting it! After the first coat, I could still see too much green. So, I gave it a REALLY good coating the second time. There was one little spot of green that you could see in the mess. I could really have cried at the time, but now it's almost gotten to the funny point.

• yachter123
    13 years ago

Chuckle, chuckle, LAUGH, LAUGHING HARD!!!

Sorry, but that IS FUNNY, only because if sounds like something I would have done!!

Be ready, your family will not let you live this one down, trust me, I KNOW!!!

• karenmo
    13 years ago

Dream, I found out the same way you did--it was a cone shape that I painted, and it sort of melted into itself immediately, so I didn't do a second coat. BUT, I did buy another one and try to do it right, and yep, you guessed it; the same thing happened that time too. Nope, I didn't try it again. So, you're not alone.

• jeannespines
    13 years ago

I didn't know styrofoam would do THAT! Thanks for the warning! LOL! (oops, sorry...giggle, giggle) Jeanne S.

• phonegirl
    13 years ago

Dream, this is funny and amazing. I gues we've never tried spray painting styrofoam lately. Years ago we made Christmas trees with different macaroni shapes glued on and spray painted them with no problem. Very interesting, something has changed or else the glue coated it enough.

Now go give Domino and DD a hug.LOL How old is your DD who said this?

Punk

• Purplemoon
    13 years ago

I am trying very hard
    not
    to
    laugh
    FAIL!
    LOL.

But I learned something new, cause I had no idea you can't spray paint styrofoam.

Poor Domino, he really WAS innocent this time.
    hugs, Karen

• luvstocraft
    13 years ago

Oh Dream, I'm so sorry you learned this the hard way. Poor little puppy, I can almost see him looking at you so innocently! LOL You can use regular acrylic craft paints on styrofoam however, because it's water based--just so you know for in the future. Luvs

• dreamgoddess
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Ya'll are too funny! I went back out and looked at it again this morning and if it hadn't been so dark last night, I would have realized it was still there. You can definitely see little green bits in the daylight.

What's so funny is that after I put the second coat on last night, I could hear this sort of crackling sound. I just thought it was the paint soaking into the styrofoam. I didn't realize it was eating it up!

Oh well, I'm off to WM today to get another piece. Luvs, thanks for the heads up on the acrylic paint!

• excessfroufrou
    13 years ago

Been there, done that, and then felt stupid and mad. I used the spray foam to fill the holes on a rocking/jumping horse I was going to paint. I was so pleased with myself for thinking of the foam, till I went out and the holes were empty again.
    Frou

• lynnencfan
    13 years ago

50 years of crafting - yep been there and done that ...... more than once :D - welcome to the club :) .....

Lynne

• yachter123
    13 years ago

I was telling my DH about this DreamG and before I finished the story, he said "IT MELTED"! DUH, why do men have to be such smarty pants?

I only told him to take the heat off myself, as I have many incidents he won't let me live down!!!!

• dreamgoddess
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Yachter, you are absolutely right! Smarty pants is a good description. My husband said, "well, I could have told you it would happen if you had asked". Duh, how was I supposed to KNOW to ask?????

• nancyjeanmc
    13 years ago

Put me down with the others who learned the hard way! Never to the point of a "complete melt down," but only because I stopped when I saw it making holes in the styrofoam. It looked as if some bug got into it and nibbled away!
    You did apologize to the dog ... didn't you?

• milosmom_gw
    13 years ago

Oh Dream... I'm sorry you learned the hard way (like most of us who did).
    Poor little doggie gets blamed for it all. LOL

I would have never known had I not purchased this HUGE heavy deep (read $$$) styro circle for a flower arrangement for my Dads headstone. I didn't like the green poking through so weilded out the blue spray paint.... u know the rest. lol
    Boy was my Mother maaad when she realized it was going to be iffy whether I would have the arrangement finished for decoration day as planned or not.
    My Husband is another smarty who told me "well I could have told you that was going to happen". pffft , Should have then!! NOT could have. lol

• nana2010_gw
    13 years ago

Dream, Guess what else I learned the hard way?

You can't use Super glue on styrofoam either.

NanaKaren

• jaybird
    13 years ago

Oh boy...this is JUST what I needed!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Between work, more work and a "Christmas" gathering this weekend...I REALLY needed a good hard howling laugh!!! I apologize profusely for it being at your expense, but I thank you too!!
    Blessings to you,
    J

• nancyjeanmc
    13 years ago

"The dog just looks up at me with this innocent expression on his face. Oh, but I wasn't fooled! I just knew he had swiped it cause he loves to chew anything he can get his teeth into....
    ...My youngest daughter just looked at me and informed me that "someone owes Domino an apology"."

Well....?

• dreamgoddess
    Original Author
    13 years ago

NanaKaren, I had no clue you couldn't use super glue on styrofoam either. I'm glad you told me cause I probably would have sooner or later tried this too.

Jaybird, I do aim to please! LOL!! Honestly, it really has turned out to be really funny now that it's all over with.

I did apologize to Domino and he got extra treats from me. I swear though, the amount of stuff he's chewed up is really ridiculous. It really was a logical conclusion for me to make.