Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
schoolhouse_gw

Christmas all put away

schoolhouse_gw
13 years ago

This is the earliest I've taken down Christmas decorations, usually wait until after old Christmas, Jan.6th; but I started with a couple knic-knacs and pretty soon the ornaments were coming off the tree,garlands came down, packed away and the tree put out in the garage.

I even purged one trunk that I store the older, vintage ornaments in. At the bottom were boxes of new ones that I never use or not my style anymore, odd bits of decorations that haven't been out of the trunk in years. And I found two of my glass icicles that I thought had broken long time ago, as they weren't in their box.

One garbage bag for The Goodwill, one for the trash. There were even several Marzipan ornaments a friend gave me I bet 20yrs. ago! They were all crumbled and green. What was I saving all this for? I feel really good about it, the trunk has more space, and it and all the other boxes and bags went back behind the door in the computer room pretty darn easily this time.

The only thing left? A bundle of holly above the big picture window, I may leave that awhile.

Comments (6)

• duluthinbloomz4
    13 years ago

My decorating started a little later than usual this year, so I think I'll enjoy it all till at least Jan 6th. or a little beyond.

This will be a purge year for me, too. I love ornaments and always collected them on all my travels. Now I have far too many to ever use (and I'm not going to succumb to getting a second - or third - tree). I used to think one could never have too many Christmas decorations... but, for me, I was wrong. :-)

I have a brother and two nephews who would be willing recipients of my excess. Problem is, I have tote boxes of things I didn't even unpack this year, so I'll have to go through them to decide on what to give away.

• luvstocraft
    13 years ago

Welcome to the forum, Schoolhouse and duluthinbloomz4. Like you, SH, I went ahead and got mine all down and stashed away. I didn't part with anything though--thought I'd wait and do it when I take them out next year. So many times I get rid of things and then wish I hadn't. Better to decide when I'm rested.

DIB, excuse the abbrv. but name is so long to type. I heard allot of people say they got their decorations up later this year. I think the weather stayed warmer in allot of places so Christmas kind of snuck up on some. How fun that you have collected ornaments from all over. When you pull them out next year, you'll have to share a few pics and stories about some of them with us.

Luvs

• excessfroufrou
    13 years ago

Welcome guys, I must say y'all are very brave to part with your treasures. I just put away 4 trees and about 20 large bins. I did manage to cull out a shoe box of things. For the most part I'm with Luvs, I usually regret when I get rid of things. But I'm glad for now to have them all tucked away for another year.
    Frou

• phonegirl
    13 years ago

Schoolhouse, I remember you from the Cottage Garden. Sounds like you are excited to down size on your Christmas decorations. You better run to Goodwill before you do much visiting here or you may change your mind.lol It is a wonderful feeling to have everything back to normal. If you have pictures we'd love to see them.

Duluthinbloom, If you took pictures please share with us. I didn't put up alot of mine up this year because we got so much snow and I store most of it in the shed. It will be fun to use some things I didn't this coming Christmas. I'm sure your family will love having some of your goodies.

Punk

• Purplemoon
    13 years ago

Welcome Gals! Schoolhouse, I need to send you the address of my Goodwill. LOL. Even tho I have too much stuff, and this year didn't get it all out, I just can't resist buying Christmas things it seems. Each year when I unpack, I do try to pare down and let some things go that I'm pretty sure I'll not regret. And when they go to my DD or my DDIL, thats ok. Anyway, you certainly sound like you got things put away fast, found things you'd forgotten,
    and made room for more! Way to go, Girl. ;o)

DIB, your brother and nephews will love getting your things and you'll love still seeing them I imagine! But I don't know about that "one tree thing". LOL. I heard that its not a person has too many ornaments, its just that they don't have enough trees!
    (That's my story and I'm sticking to it).

hugs, Karen

• nhardy
    13 years ago

Congrats!!! It feels good to part with things for a fresh start. I did a major parting of things 5 years ago. I'm going to look at what did not get put up this year & put a few things in the donate pile.

I agree with Karen. I'm an ornamentaholic. 400+ ornaments & counting. I'm up to 5 trees on the wall, on a table or an ultra slim tree besides having the full size living room tree.

Sponsored
Industry Leading Interior Designers & Decorators in Franklin County
More Discussions