Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sangaree

my little bit of winter decor

Purplemoon
13 years ago

As y'all know, I didn't get around to much in the way of decorating after I took the Christmas things down. But I wanted my cardinals out so I did a few things and started a 2011 album of my decorating. Tho these photos might only be there temporarily, LOL.

hugs, Karen

Here is a link that might be useful: winter decorations

Comments (20)

• ladypat1
    13 years ago

Karen, Loved browsing thru your photos. The bookcase shelf with the lantern really caught my eye, and all your rabbits. I bet I will really like your Easter stuff. The little cardinals lined up on a branch was so cute. And I love, love your blue and white roosters vinette.

Pat

• Marlene Kindred
    13 years ago

I should have known you weren't serious when you said that you hadn't done any decorating...hahahaha! Everything is beautiful Karen! LOVE the blue and white and everything else!

• jeannespines
    13 years ago

Oh, you've created many lovely vignettes in Winter decor! I love how you use the cloches, apothecary jars & lanterns with your beautiful collection of cardinals & bunnies, esp.

Your BOP pic is quite elegant...that blue bunny is just so adorable w/all the accessories on the silver tray. & I love that sparkly bunny on the counter!

The top of your bookcase is so lovely, too w/the angels & candlelight for your Mom's urn. The family room bookshelf is probably my fav...but it's hard to chose cause your bay window decor is always so wonderful, too! I love it all! Looks very festive to me ...& just right! TFS, PM! Jeanne S.

• lynnencfan
    13 years ago

All your little vignettes are so sweet. I love the fact that you used bunnies in so many different ways. I especially like the BOP one. TFS .....

Lynne

• Purplemoon
    Original Author
    13 years ago

LOL, Marlene, I thought I said I was doing just a little for winter so I could get out my cardinals that I left packed during Christmas. I missed them. I love cardinals.
    Jeanne's (photos) are the only real ones I get to see!

I'm glad it was ok to show the bookcase with Mom's urn. I was afraid that might be kind of morbid for for some of you. She died the day before 9-11, and like most of us in my family wanted to be cremated. But she always HATED being alone, and that really bothered me as far as her going to the cemetary. In talking to Dad and my kids, we decided she'd stay with me till Dad could join her. So for almost 10 yrs that's where she's been. She loved Christmas decorations, and I always felt me decorating "around her" would have made her happy. I just wish she could have experienced all this other Holiday decorating I'm doing.
    I know she would have really loved it too.
    (My Cherubs stay out for Christmas, and Valentines.)

I still don't like how my big end table looks, but just no "ummmppphhh" to work on it. Maybe it will spur me into doing the Val stuff tho. And St Pat. I don't have a lot of decos for those Holidays, so not a big deal to get them out. I'm perking up a bit thinking about them now. ;o)

Easter around here is the "bunny explosion", LOL. My white bunnies get to come out of the china cabinet, and my Easter-y ones get unpacked. Since certain Nameless gals here converted me to pastels, I am enjoying decorating for Easter the last few years. LOL. I am definitely not the same person who first joined this Forum.
    And that's a good thing!!

hugs, Karen

• marylee_2010
    13 years ago

Karen, Everything is beautiful. I know I use that word too much but it describes so much of this forum.

Karen, who is the policeman in the photo? I worked at our Police Division for 17 years so when I see a policeman, I am interested.

Thank you for sharing. Marylee

• christmascandy
    13 years ago

Karen, it is all just beautiful. So glad you shared these pictures. My favorite is the bay window with the stacked plates, but it is all so well done.
    I think it is great that you decorate around your Mom and I am sure she enjoys it from her heavenly perch.

TFS,
    Candy

• janet1_2007
    13 years ago

Karen, how do you do it with all that is going on in your life right now? It is all so lovely. I really like your cardinals. They are my DD's favorite decorations. When she finds something with cardinals on it that she likes, she will often buy it and "give" it to me. Then the first thing I know she wants to borrow it. We just trade back and forth. I really like your stacked plates with the greenery and the cardinals. Everything looks so pretty. I don't know why you would worry about Valentines Day; with all the pretty red birds, you really don't need to do much more. You all ready have red in your decor, just add whatever you feel like you need to feel warm and cuddly (Romantic). It's all beautiful, Janet

• plainjane425
    13 years ago

Very pretty Karen.
    I love how you've arranged ALL your cloche vignettes with your cardinals and rabbits. I really enjoy seeing your shelf display each time, with a different theme. It never looks the same way twice. The blue bunny planter on the silver tray is adorable and I love the soft color..I can see him again in an Easter setting.
    Glad you got a chance to do this and share it with us.

jane

• phonegirl
    13 years ago

Wow, so many wonderful decorations to see. Your DM's urn all decorated around with cherubs is touching. I love it that you keep it decorated for her knowing she loved decorating. My DM would love to see how far I'm come with decorating too.

Enjoyed all your cardinals and bunnies. They look great together. I would of never thought to do this. You are so good at doing cloches. I must work on this as I really enjoy all of yours.

I'm getting hooked on the mercury glass you all keep showing. I don't seem to find it when shopping so others must grab it as quick as it comes out. My day will come.lol

Your new cardinals from Ebay and your stacked plates and cloche look great in your bay window. Good to see your BOP setting. Hope you add this to the post. Blue bunny is the perfect color and it all looks great. I love your sparkly bunny. You have so many neat things and I could go on forever but I'll quit for now.

Punk

• Purplemoon
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Marylee, that is my youngest son, Jason, who was nearly burned alive when his patrol exploded from being rear-ended.
    March 26th, 2001. He not only survived 4th degree burns which no one else has, he returned to work and was a Homicide Det. for 2 yrs before taking medical retirement due to his eye problems from the fire. That portrait was taken by Phx PD as a gift to us. I've attached a link of Jas speaking to a cop group in CO last year. (if you want to google Jason Schechterle, its amazing all the stories.
    He's been featured twice on First 48 on A&E, also on CNN and Discovery). He's my hero, and my miracle.
    My oldest son is also a cop here and will retire in July!
    I'm pretty proud of both boys.

Thanks to All of you for the sweet words on my decor. As always, it means a lot to me.
    Punk, you have to learn that bunnies go with EVERY thing.
    LOL. Nothing more natural or sweet than a bunny in decorating. :o)

hugs, Karen

Here is a link that might be useful: Jason speaking..

• excessfroufrou
    13 years ago

Karen, I'm loving all the cloches, they are beeeeutiful. Between you and Jeanne, y'all have be dreaming of cardinal, but I'm not starting another collection. I don't think it's weird about your mom. Few people know, but my mom is stored in one of my display cabinets, I feel like she is happy in there with my teacup and cordial collections. My brother was suppose to come go with me to the Ozark mountains and sprinkle her ashes. For the past 10 years, he never made it here and now he passed away this last September and I haven't gotten the nerve to do it by myself.
    Frou

• luvstocraft
    13 years ago

Lovely decorating Karen. You have added some nice apothocary jars and cloches to your collection. I'm in love with those little red ones on your counter. You really did a nice job in the bay window, your stacked plates and the jars and the redbirds--Wow! And your BOP tray with the bunny--really turned out great! :o)

Luvs

• nana2010_gw
    13 years ago

Great job as usual, Karen.
    You really have the knack for displaying your pretties. I
    would love to see you do a tablescape!
    Are you going to be able to keep "trouble" from knocking things off the window sill?
    I like rabbits too and the blue one caught my eye.
    NanaKaren

• yachter123
    13 years ago

Karen, love all your cardinals & the blue & white roosters especially.

The thing about your bay window is, it is decorated really cute for winter, but I can see outside & it looks like summer!!!!

I'm so jealous!

Having grown up in the midwest, it would be hard for me to decorate for Christmas or winter if I was ever lucky enough to move out of this God forsaken COLD CLIMATE!!

I think I'd have palm trees as my theme year round!LOL LOL

• marylee_2010
    13 years ago

Karen - I am sorry to be so remiss. I just tonight saw your reply regarding your son, Jason, and have seen his link. That is truly miraculous. I am so glad that he survived and is living a full life. He sounds like a truly remarkable young man. Thank you for sharing this.
    Marylee

• phonegirl
    13 years ago

Marylee, Jason is quite the Inspirational speaker. Hard to imagine what all of them went through. Love the part about "Don't Mess Up My Hair".

Karen,
    I will start rounding up the stray bunnies today and get them out.lol

Punk

• oldalgebra
    13 years ago

Karen,
    I don't know how I missed this! I love your winter decorations. You've done a lot - a lot more than I have, that's for sure. I am a big cloche fan. You've done some adorable things with them, the big ones and the little ones.

There's not a day goes by that I don't think of my Mom for some reason or another. Don't give the urn a second thought. I wouldn't have guessed what it was if you hadn't of mentioned it.

Hope the days start brightening for you.
    OA

• Purplemoon
    Original Author
    13 years ago

As always, thanks for the kind thoughts on my Jason. As well as my decorating.
    OA, I wish the days would start getting better...but STILL trying to get my Dad in the care place! I think all the paperwork is done, should be. Its taken weeks and I'm so frustrated, along with the exhaustion and stress. Thank goodness I can come here and feel "normal"!
    (tho I understand that's just a setting on the washing machine. LOL)

NanaK, do you have a collection of rabbits or decorate just for Easter with some? Quite a few of us here love rabbit stuff.

Here's a close-up of my Cardinal candleholders. I love the larger one, it was an eBay find.
    {{gwi:1404903}}

hugs, Karen

• nana2010_gw
    13 years ago

Karen, Most of my rabbits I use at Easter.
    they have turned into a collection tho.
    My first on is a brown one that came from my grandmother.
    He stays out all year.
    When my kids were small they each got a pet rabbit for Easter.
    You can guess what happened!
    NanaKaren

Sponsored
More Discussions