Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jeannespines

A Quiet 'Happy New Year' Day T'scape

jeannespines
13 years ago

The first day of the New Year!...sunshine & cold temps...icy & melted snow! So begins the year at our place in the pines...which motivated me to do this nice quiet "stay-at-home" t'scape.

Here's what the backyard looked like last week...an Iowa Wintery Day:

{{gwi:129923}}

Here's a place setting in my Pine t'scape...wood charger (from TS), Galaxy dinnerplate (old everyday dinnerware), new "Birchwood Chalet" Holiday 2010 salad plate from Target (after Christmas clearance), napkin (GS find)& new SS Oneida "Tortola" flatware chosen from Target for Christmas from DH:

The napkins' colors inspired me to use some soft torquoise color in the t'scape...so glass bead garland I took from my computer room. Beverage glass is new from Kohl's Home Studio "Woodland" ...I had bought 2 of them this summer 60% off..to add to DS's Woodland dishes for Christmas...but he dropped a subtle hint...& told me, "Mom, no more dishes! Look in my cupboards!" So I took him by his word & kept the 2 for myself! LOL!

And here's an iron pinecone candleholder that I added 2 RL pinescones scented w/melted wax (got at craft show last yr)...the bowls match the salad plates (I showed on a diff post)...& the big bowl is the bottom of a cookie jar (consignment store find 50% off) which I unfortunately broke before I even got it up the stairs that day!...hence, I now own a big bowl! I thought they matched pretty well...altho diff brand names.

I brought in my long basket from the porch & filled it with faux pines (they look real, don't they!)...well, the big pinecones are real! Added an old "barked" candle that I've had for yrs & yrs ...& liked the results:

Yup, there is a woodland birdy in the basket...here's a close-up "framed" ... such a woodsy cute one:

You can see it a little bit in this placesetting:

And here's the whole table for the two of us:

Took this wood heart from my computer room just to show you how I feel: (ahhh, ***blush***)

Hope you enjoyed this "Quiet Happy New Year' Day T'scape." TFlookin'! Jeanne S.

Comments (20)

• oldalgebra
    13 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

OK. To begin with, I have to tell you that I have been reading your post closings as, "T -Flookin." Honestly, I kept saying to myself, "What the devil does T-Flookin mean?" No one else mentioned it, so I knew it must be some sort of internet abbreviation. I'm always asking about those LOLs and TFSs and DHs all the time, so I didn't want to appear stupid again and just let it ride. For some reason, this time around, it finally dawned on me. Not T- Flookin, but T-F-lookin. Good Lord.

OK. Now for the tablescape. I certainly love it all. The dishes and bowls are wonderfully woodsie. And what a great find on the wooden chargers. They are very handsome. I must say, your hubbie did a great job picking out the flatware. I need new everyday flatware desperately. I might have to go shopping again (Oh, darn!).

Very peaceful tablescape - full of hope for the coming New Year.

• phonegirl
    13 years ago

Jeanne, I love this woodland table. You are so good at these type of settings. I love your new dishes and bowls. The large bowl goes very well with the other pinecone dishes. The glasses are darling with this ts. God has a way of taking care of our needs. DS probably knew you needed them so that's why he said that.

The little bird nestled in with the pinecones and branches is so sweet. The wood looking candle is great in this cp. New candle holder is perfect with your setting too. The heart is so neat and the saying is so true for you. Did you paint this? Are your chargers wooden? Couldn't pick a better match for this table.

I see Dollbaby doesn't have anything on her tray over there and she's still dressed for Christmas. Was she naughty and still waiting for Santa to come?lol

Happy New Year!

Punk

• lynnencfan
    13 years ago

Oh MY - what a very peaceful, woodsy table setting - I just love it - mind is working overtime here - yep I can pull something like this together and not have to go shopping for anything ~~note to myself "start thinking outside the box and look around the house" - TFS .....

Lynne

• excessfroufrou
    13 years ago

Those dishe are too beautiful, so understated and yet beautiful. I checked them out on line, but have resigned myself to just admireing them. Good thing you kept the glasses they are perfect. I love the iron pinecone candle holder. I spent the day putting away Christmas (the 2nd day and still not through) and in the attic I found a big bag of giant pinecones someone gave me last year, maybe I'll get them done for a few weeks, I've got lots of fake snow I could add. I'm so sorry about you breaking the cookie jar, but it makes a great bowl and story.
    Frou

• nancyjeanmc
    13 years ago

Laughed so hard I had to pee. T Flookin! I realized that I was doing the same thing, but just didn't give it a second thought. So funny, (not so)Old Algebra!
    I can't stop chuckling and my family just doesn't think it's so funny.

• yachter123
    13 years ago

I love those brown woodsy glasses from Kohl's, good that your DS did not want them, they are so cute, have not seen any like that before.

The white woodland dishes are so pretty, again have not seen any like that. Our Target definitely did not have any like those.

Your table looks like it's in some fancy woodland resort. All you need is the roaring fireplace & it is just as cozy as can be on a cold wintery day.

Don't feel bad, we went from 53 yesterday to a blustery, windy cold 20's today. Just got back from eating at Cracker Barrel & oh my is that wind making it feel colder than it is! I'm in for the nite & in my jammies!!!

• luvstocraft
    13 years ago

Me too, Nancy! I had to run and go potty and find a kleenex to wipe my eyes as well! OA, you are just such a crack-up--I just love you! Oh lordy, that belly laugh sure did feel good though. ;o)

Jeanne, your new plates look so nice in your woodsy setting. The wooden chargers and those glasses are perfect with them. Love the bark looking candle and the cute little bird tucked in the pines. So glad you are able to use the bowl to your cookie jar so all was not lost. Glad you are inside and all cozy and warm. We are in the mid to low 40's here today--and I'm not really liking it much at all! Had to dig out a sweatshirt and turn the heater on this morning! Got all my Christmas decs put away! Yahoo! (OA, by decs, I don't mean Decembers, but decorations!) Just teasing you! ;o)

Luvs

• jeannespines
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks luvs, yachter, nancy, frou, lynnenc, punk, & esp. OA, TFlookin'! LOL!

The wood chargers I got at a TS for $2 ea, I think, early summer...thought they would be cool for something! And DH let me choose the flatware...he did buy it & wrap it (on the sly) & then we used it on Christmas Day, washed it in dishwshr...was dw safe & SS, it said & not to use lemon products...well, I used my good ol regular Cascade & it discolored them all, spotted, etc. So midweek I took them bk & chose a diff brand & diff pattern ... the Oneida "Tortola"...DH appreciated that! They've washed beautifully so far!

DS never did see the glasses until I used them this Fall...but, too bad for him, cause he still got a "dip set" in the Home Studio Woodland...at least it was a small dish! LOL!

The little wood heart I bought on vac in a consignment shop in MN...creator did a nice job on it...glad you liked it punk!

Yup, lynnenc, I never moved stuff around the house so much (little stuff) as I have since joining this forum...learned so much here & having so much fun! Jeanne S.

ps...yes, nancy & luvs, I LOL so hard too...it is good for the soul! & all the time thinking, "Oh, too funny, OA!"

• plainjane425
    13 years ago

Love this Peaceful setting...it's just so beautiful in it's simplicity. I remember your post showing a 'peek' your new dishes..they are so 'You'! This t-scape brings to mind a peaceful 'Cabin In The Woods'. Especially with those glasses from Kohls...I love them!
    I did an arrangement for my Kitchen, like yours with the pine branches and pinecones in an old wooden tray using a candle...but I like how you added the woodsy bird..I'm making a mental not of that...
    This was just lovely Jeanne...all of it.

OA >>> You Never Fail To Crack Me Up > You're humor is Priceless!!

jane

• nana2010_gw
    13 years ago

Jeanne, Your table is so peaceful looking. Everything blends together beautifully, from the basket of greens, with the little bird hiding in it, to the wooden chargers. The pretty blue beaded garland is just the right touch. I love your new flat ware. The simplicity of the pattern will go with any table setting. The heart is just perfect.
    OA, Some of the abbreviations [I should say MOST] confuse me too. [But it doesn't take much]. I'm glad I'm not the only one. It's good to start the day off with a laugh!!

• tugsmomma
    13 years ago

I'm all about woodsy, just ask my sister. LynneNCfan. This is beautiful and right up my alley. I'm ready to pull up a chair and unfold my napkin.

• jeannespines
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks jane, nana & sis of lynnenc! (good to see youhere, tmomma)

Would love for you all to "pull up a chair & unfold my napkin!" It may be too peaceful here as I'm beginning to get cabin fever!

And I always love OA's humor!!! (my brain has to think some of these LOL's thru, too!) Took me a long time to figure out IMHO! (I Googled it!) Jeanne S.

• Purplemoon
    13 years ago

I'm sure glad I wasn't taking a drink of my tea when I read OA's comment...LOL. Boy did I need a good laugh and she sure gave it to me. (tho I definitely understand about not always getting the abbreviations! Jeanne, I'll stick with IMO. I'm too darn opinionated to be humble about it)

That first photo belongs on a card or in a magazine. Your photography skills always leave me in awe!
    I LOVE that little blue bead garland. Its beautiful. And those glasses were meant for you!! But your basket center-piece is definitely my favorite. I'm nuts for birds anyway, and he just found the perfect home nestled in there. What a wonderful woodland table!

hugs, Karen

• jeannespines
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks, PM! LOL "yet" when I come back to this post & read OA's assessment of my "acronyms!" I do love her postings so much! (& now her blog!)

You know how DH & I are "recliner diners" ... after setting this table & fixing Fajitas for supper that night, DH got up out of his chair & smiled while saying, "Do you want me to sit this dirty plate on the table so you can take a pic?" Yeah, right! LOL! Good to hear from you...Hugs to you & DD...take good care of yourself. Jeanne S.

• jeannespines
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I'm going to keep that basket of pines on my table just as a centerpc in itself for awhile ...here's the candle burning...quite comfy & cozy (which suits me!) LOL! Jeanne S.

• christmascandy
    13 years ago

Jeanne, It is just perfect and everything coordinates so well.
    The basket centerpiece is also my favorite!

Since Karen "found" me and I started playing over here, I have become a dish, flatware, glassware, and linen fanatic. It is amazing how much I have accumulated in such a short time! Seeing all the beautiful tables just inspires me to go out and find more treasures to set more tables. So, now I have to go see what I can find that is woodsy, LOL.

OA, TOO FUNNY!

TFS,
    Candy

• elmaly
    13 years ago

Very nice. Just looking at it makes me want a cup of hot cocoa!

XOXO

• kathleen_li
    13 years ago

Very pretty, J! Lots of natural elements and very peaceful!

Reminds me of the line in Stuart Little when he reads the little pillow.
    For You I Pine
    For You I Balsam...
    :)
    Did you say you were from NY????

• phonegirl
    13 years ago

Jeanne, beautiful picture with your candle burning.

Punk

• jeannespines
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Oh, kathleen, what a reminder! Love it! Stuart Little...EB White!

Answer to your question...LOL! Nope, from the cornfields of Iowa!

Thanks for the comments, ladies! Jeanne S.

Sponsored
CHC & Family Developments
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, Ohio
More Discussions