Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
maximavswife

When Life Gives You Lemons

maximavswife
12 years ago

I received a call from my elderly father this past Sunday. He was completely disoriented. He didn't know where he was or how he got there. I immediately drove to the nursing home. Luckily a couple of his pals at the home were keeping an eye on him. The nursing staff had already called for an ambulance to take him to the hospital. He had complained earlier of a sour throat but I found out later he actually was complaining that his throat was dry. No matter! I was happy he was going to the hospital. The EMT's started him on oxygen and by the time we got to the hospital he was already much better. He knew where he was, the date and that the Broncos had lost the play off game LOL. After being looked over thoroughly it was discovered he had sores on his buttocks and hip so bad it would require surgery. He mde it through surgery like a champ! He has been given a blood transfusion as he was severely anemic. We met with the Palliative Care Team and, going forward, I believe he will be receiving much better care. It's so hard because I cannot be at the nursing home 24 hours a day to make sure he is getting the proper treatment. And, although he is still in the hospital, he is gaining strength each day!

My therapy through this drama is, of course, my hobby, tablescaping. I set this table to help brighten my spirits and to take my mind off worrying, if only for a little while. Today, I am just so happy that my daddy is almost back to his usual feisty, onerny, stubborn self :)

Kath

Here is a link that might be useful: When Life Gives You Lemons Table

Comments (11)

• jeannespines
    12 years ago

Wow, you got me 'puckering up' now! ;-)
    Love all the crystal pcs you used ... stems, apothecary jar & such...that filled pitcher of ice water & sliced lemons looked very refreshing!

Good idea w/the ribbons! Am glad your Dad is doing better...hugs, Jeanne S.

• plainjane425
    12 years ago

I see 'Sunshine' looking at this cheery table!
    Love all the lemons, pretty yellow ribbon and all
    your lovely crystal pieces.
    I'm so glad to hear your Dad is doing better..hugs and prayers to him and to you too.

jane

• Marlene Kindred
    12 years ago

Looks happy and very inviting....makes me wish for summer time! Glad that your Dad is doing better...it is so hard to watch them go through that type of thing. Hopefully he'll get better care when he gets back to the nursing home too!

• christmascandy
    12 years ago

So glad to hear DD is doing better. T & P's that he has a full recovery.

Your table is so fun and sunshiny, it makes me smile. The lemontinis sound yummy and I love all your crystal pices. Clever idea with the bargain yellow ribbon. So...in your case tieing one on could either be tieing the yellow ribbon or over indulging in the lemontinis, LOL

Great job!!

TFS,
    Candy

• nana2010_gw
    12 years ago

What a bright and sunny table, Kathe. I hope it lifted your spirits It certainly did mine!
    I'm glad your Dad is improving. Is he going back to the same nursing home?
    Nana

• luvstocraft
    12 years ago

How awful for your Dad (and all of you). One more story that has me convinced that I have to do everything possible to keep DH home with me. How could the NH NOT know he had those sores if they were bathing him????

Not to be completely off topic, but yesterday one of our little aides told me that she had gone to see a patient at a NH. Three "workers" were sitting at a table talking and laughing. She asked what she could do to help with Mr. _____, and they told her to just sponge bathe him as he had been sort of weak. When she walked into the room, she discovered that Mr. _______ was stiff and DEAD! Wonder how long it had been since anyone had checked on him???? These stories just scare the daylights out of me and make me so mad too.

On a lighter note, I applaud you for creating such a lovely table. Creating "beauty" and using favorite items does help soothe our minds sometimes, doesn't it?

Prayers for you and your DD too.

Luvs

• Purplemoon
    12 years ago

Kathe, I agree with all that's been said about your table.
    Its wonderful.

I am so bothered by what happened to your Dad that the sores were THAT bad. Sure sounds like no one bathed him or checked him properly. Scary thought, and I'm sure its a worry for you now with having to stay on top of them. I will keep him, and you, in my prayers.

Luvs, its not just some NHs. A year ago Dec when Dad went in the hospital after doc gave him meds he shouldn't have,
    Dad came home with some bad bedsores on his ankles and toes. From the hospital of all places!! They had put socks on his feet initially to keep them warm, and apparently no one bothered to take them off and bathe or check his feet. I was so mad when he came home, and I discovered the bedsores! We had nursing care coming in several times a week trying to treat them. I was thankful they were on his feet and nowhere else, but they caused him a LOT of pain and discomfort till I lost him several weeks later.
    The hospital also didn't seem to realize he couldn't turn over in bed at all and just lay in same position waaaay too long. All they did was raise and lower the head of the bed apparently! And this is a huge, well-known hospital and trauma center in Phoenix.
    (guess I'm STILL mad it seems)

hugs, Karen

• phonegirl
    12 years ago

Kathe, first I want to say I'm so sorry your DDad had to go through all of this pain. So sad to hear Luvs and PM's sad stories too. Glad he is doing better.

I finally was able to see your beautiful lemon table. The pictcher filled just made it! I had to jump through hoops to view it but it was worth it.

I love your new charger you found. Can hardly wait to see them on one of your tables. What a deal. Guess it was time for some good luck for a change.

Punk

• maximavswife
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks everyone for your kinds words, thoughts and prayers. Dad is still in the hospital and is scheduled to have more clean up surgery today. He will remain in the hospital for at least another week. I have caught the flu and will have to send my positive vibes to him instead of being there. So, more prayers needed please.
    Thank you friends,
    Kath

• party_music50
    12 years ago

I wish you both good luck. Your lemon table has a nice 'clean' look and I love that you used lemon drinks. :)

• Purplemoon
    12 years ago

Kathe, what a rotten time to come down with the flu. Not there this is a good time. Please rest and take care of yourself during the coming week.
    I'm glad your Dad is getting the care he needs and will continue to send prayers of healing for him.

hugs, Karen

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading Kitchen & Bath Remodelers in Franklin County, OH
More Discussions