Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jeannespines

Italy Bowls & Silverplate Tea Set Finds for Holidays Ahead!

jeannespines
13 years ago

Been TS'ing to some new places (& old) the past few days & I came home w/some new "old" things I plan to use in the upcoming holidays.

These 4 "Ceramica Quadrifoglio" bowls (made in Italy)I found on an overnight trip with DH at a "resale shop." $5.99 for the 4 of 'em & I plan to use them w/the Gabriel green pottery I found at GS last summer...I've shared a t'scape w/Gabriel last yr. Here's the new PRETTY bowls:

Here's a close-up of the bowl's pattern...the teapot bottom says "Produced for Designpac Inc. Northlake, IL (made in China)...It's such a beautiful color (colbalt navy blue glaze)...it drew me to the shelf of dishes!...$5.99 also:

This pic I stacked 2 Gabriel coffee cups so you can see how the greens look tog:

Last Fri. found this silverplated tea set on the floor under a table in a consignment shop & the owner said 75% off everything on table & below...it was very tarnished & I am working on it...here's a pic w/a couple pcs in front looking so much better! Haven't touched teapot yet (in back)...tray I worked on quite a bit...but needs more:

The teapot set is Leonard Silverplate & I found some on e-bay listed for $39.99 up to $59.99 (shiny & in good shape pcs)! The CS owner had $30 listed so I got the set for $7.50! I plan on using the silver tray (or more) for Val day decor:

Sugar bowl (not in pic). But I was so excited that an "extra piece" came w/this set! It was completely diff & I finally found some info about it Googling. That pitcher is "Waltham Silver Co 183" on the bottom of the pc...found out it was "discont. circa - 1890...183 silverplate, Hollowware." (on right in pic above). On the bottom of the pitcher was a pc of masking tape that said, "Grandma Hall's"...ohhhh, that makes me sad! (that no one kept it in the family!)

Here's how all the pcs looked before I started "polishing:"

I'll keep working on them! (ewwww...charcoal, rough hands!)

Well, I carried this little darling bunny around for a half hr to decide if I wanted to add her to Dollbaby's collection for Easter decor...

She' all fabric, fuzzy gray...I don't know if she's handmade...she looks it...no tags on her...she's a "sitter" ...has a block of wood in her so legs hang down...who couldn't bring this bunny home for $2.99!!! A closer-up view:

{{gwi:1404316}}

And, LOL, I have to share this figurine labelled "Frumps!" My sis will turn 60 next wk & her job was being cut about 5 yrs ago...so she changed careers, went back to school & got her LPN degree & became a nurse! My $4 find...will go good w/flowers! LOL:

TFlookin' ...hope you enjoyed...I did! Jeanne S.

Comments (15)

• plainjane425
    13 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Nice find on the bowls Jeanne..I love the Colbalt Blue teapot.
    I have a similar Silver Tea Set. I bought it several yrs ago at a Flea Mkt..I think you did very well on the price.
    Mine was dark like yours, but cleaned up nicely, after several cleanings.
    Once it's finished, you'll really enjoy all the lovely details that will 'pop out'!
    I think baby doll will enjoy her new cute bunny..worth
    every penny. But I must say, I love 'Frumps'! What a character -
    I think she'll be such hit with your sis. Great find.

jane

• party_music50
    13 years ago

Wow, Jeanne, those bowls are incredible! I've never seen anything like them. They look as if they are carved marble. I'd want to immediately serve a pesto!

The silver set is GORGEOUS!!! but I do not envy you the cleaning part. I don't like to clean silver... it's so much work. But it is beautiful!

• marylee_2010
    13 years ago

Jeanne, All your finds are marvelous. I know you will enjoy them all. Thank you for sharing. - Marylee

• excessfroufrou
    13 years ago

I love the bowls, very pretty. But that silver tea set is giving me serious tea set envy. That bunny suits you to tee, leave it you to find a rustic stuffed bunny, too cute. So glad you could find some deals.
    Frou

• oldalgebra
    13 years ago

Love the bowls. They are, indeed, beautiful. You were lucky to come across them at that price.

What about some of that dunking stuff for the silver? I've never used it, but it might reduce the elbow grease.
    The bunny is a boy, not a girl. And no, I didn't look down his pants to make that assertion. If he was a girl, he would be wearing the watch around his neck. So there!

• kathleen_li
    13 years ago

LOL, J about what the nurse is carrying! Do they use those anymore??
    I LOVE those bowls, what a pretty color.
    Have fun with the silver set. I did a survey on my blog once about what silver polish they prefer. I prefer the one that a friend would use to clean it for me! :) My dear mom used to clean my silver when ever she came for a visit. She didn't mind! I have her silver punch bowl and cups because the other sisters didn't want to clean it! It took me days!

• nana2010_gw
    13 years ago

Jeanne, Wonderful finds!! I really LOVE the bowls they look great with the Cobalt Tea Pot and the Gabriel cups.
    The silver tea service is elegant and it is cleaning up nicely.
    Dollbaby is going to love her new bunny!!
    Frumps is a riot. I'm sure your sister will get a kick out of her!!
    NanaK

• Marlene Kindred
    13 years ago

So many wonderful finds Jeanne! Love the new bowls, teapot, etc. Beautiful colors! And your bunny is adorable too. You've put a lot of work into the silver set as well and it shows! Great job!

• jeannespines
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks, holiday-ers, for your kind comments (& funny ones, too!) LOL! ...yup, I guess "it" is a "boy" bunny...that pocket watch gave it away! LOL!

I worked at "polishing" today...I like your fav solution, kathleen,... "that a friend would use to clean it for me! ...so wonderful that your Mom did that & that you inherited the silver.

Well, I was afraid to do it...but I tried the "boiled water" theory on a couple pcs ... with the purchase the other day, I also got an old "tarnish remover plate" in a cardboard folder (probably from the 50's..."the fastest, easiest & most effective way to clean silver!" it says! HA! I boiled 3 big kettles of water, added the measured amts of Baking Soda & covered the pcs completely....

Sorry to say, all it did was SET OFF 3 OF THE SMOKE ALARMS here upstairs! So, back to the rag & polish...worked on 'em for 2 more hrs & said, ENOUGH! Here's pic:

So, quite an improvement but will need more work! And, Jane, yes, it was fun to see more details...I'm glad you have this set, too. Some little pit marks on tray yet...will try to work on those later....much later!

Yup, kathleen, "Frumps" is carrying what you think she is...LOL...that's why I thought it was a good gift for my sis turnin' 60! (& being such a GOOD nurse!)

Thanks, everyone! 'appreciated! Jeanne S.

• plainjane425
    13 years ago

Hey Jeanne...I think you did a super job!
    Looks really beautiful. I really like the details on the other little creamer too. Also your little darling birdie is looking good.
    I've got to give my set another cleaning..I keep it out all the time, and it's looking a tad 'ragged' now..lol
    It's good to take a break from the cleaning..and approach it another time with a 'fresh eye' and a stronger arm!!
    jane

• luvstocraft
    13 years ago

Love your tea service Jeanne, and it cleaned up really nice. I had looked for a long time for one and finally found a nice teapot--problem is that it doesn't stay shiny very long! I'm starting to say that I "like" the tarnished look--so I don't have to clean it so often. LOL

Your bowls will look great with the green shade on the cups, and that's a really pretty blue teapot too.

Glad you got out and had some fun and found these neat bargains too!

Luvs

• phonegirl
    13 years ago

Woohoo girlfriend! Super buys on everything. Love the new dishes. The pattern looks raised on them. So happy you was able to get the silver set at 75% off. You've turned this into a beautiful set. I use Mrs Wrights Cream to polish DM and it works great.

Darling bunny for Dollbaby. The nurse is a riot and I'll bet DSis will love it.

Punk

• Purplemoon
    13 years ago

Jeanne, those bowls are wonderful. And the cobalt teapot.
    What super finds. Methinks Mr Bunny might need a whisker trim tho. LOL.

Your silver set is looking fantastic! And the little bird is so sweet on the tray with it. You've sure put a lot of hard work into polishing everything.

hugs, Karen

• cntrygrlgray
    12 years ago

Hello, I just came across your post when researching a silver cup I purchased. I have found it is your missing creamer. Wanted to see if you would be interested in buying this piece. It needs cleaning and has a small dent in it, no top. If not can anyone give me an idea of its worth, if I should clean it before posting it anywhere to sell. Thank you.

• jeannespines
    Original Author
    12 years ago

cntrygrlgray...thanks, but I have the creamer...you might Google ...I found my values on e-bay. Good luck! Jeanne S.

Sponsored
CHC & Family Developments
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, Ohio
More Discussions