Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jeannespines

Winter Porch 'Ambience' w/Lights

jeannespines
10 years ago

The first 3 months of the new year always seem the longest ... esp March when the 1st day of Spring finally arrives. So I like to create 'ambience' on my 3 season porch to chase away those 'Winter blues.'

Here I have added 3 insulators w/faux timer tealight candles under them ~~ pretty cool that they come on for 6 hrs & then off for the 18. Here's a close-up of the 'Twinkle, twinkle little star' (my hubby made the blocks of wood & I added the metal tabs w/the words):

...and this is what they look like with some of the other lights on the porch ... @the old door hutch & also the old creamery can w/twig lights & grasses from my garden:

... here's another view ...you can see some of the tree & the galvanized tub ice skating rink (I shared this decor here before Christmas):

From inside the house as I walk thru the dining room, I can enjoy the lights:

Hope you enjoy, too. TFLookin'! Jeanne S.

Comments (16)

• jeannespines
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I also like to put 'greenery' around those aqua lights ... I may do that yet.

With the Christmas nativity & Santa's put away, I add snowmen/ladies. Here is the table centerpc now ... a bedspread snowman I've had some yrs now & then I rec'd the glittery old fashioned signage snowman from a friend this year ... the light globe has a small timer candle under it also & the birdbath is a old candle I've had awhile, too ...you've probably seen it before:

Full view of the table centerpc:

Ok, that's it ~~ enjoy! Hope you'll all share some 'snowmen pics' ~~Jeanne S.

• phonegirl
    10 years ago

Jeanne, love your new 'Twinkle, twinkle little star' creation!!!
    You and DH make such a great pair with all your creations.
    This is so funny because today I was redoing my rooster
    buffet and found an old insulator in it. Thanks for the idea,
    now I can add a tea light and set it up on top! I was also
    thinking about going out and bringing in my vine mailbox
    that lights up.

Oh boy, just love all the lights and snowies you shared.
    You captured the most warm, inviting space I've seen!
    Your table cp is so SWEET!

BTW, thanks for another idea I had forgot about before
    seeing your winter decor. DH said he would go out to my
    parents place and we would get the old windows down from
    the barn rafters so I could play with them. Gotta go before I
    forget!LOL It does bother me thinking we might sell the place
    and leave some neat things behind.

So beautiful and enjoyed seeing all of this so much, Jeanne.

Love, Punk

• Fun2BHere
    10 years ago

Thanks so much for letting me visit your warm and welcoming porch. I've always loved those insulators, but never knew what to do with them. Your idea with the battery-operated candles is excellent. I love the way your husband mounted them on the wood with the tags.

• jeannespines
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks, gals ...

Oh, I love old windows! We do some gardening projects with them. So I hope you 'save' those from your folks' place, punk.

Fun2B ... those are just 'loose' blocks of wood ...nothing mounted ..>I just sit the candles on top & add the insulator...easy peasy, uh. Insulators come in such cool colors! ;-) Jeanne S.

• nana2010_gw
    10 years ago

Jeanne, your porch looks so warm and inviting even if it is cold outside. Love the idea of adding tea lights to the insulators they really do add ambience.
    TFS
    Nana

• Fun2BHere
    10 years ago

Thanks for telling me that, Jeanne. Stacking I can do! Now, I'll be on the hunt for some insulators.

• oldalgebra
    10 years ago

Oh my gosh! I have a dozen of those insulators. They belonged to my mother. I've always thought there must be something cool I could do with them, but I never had - or ran across - an idea that I thought was any good. Now I know what I want to do with them.
    I'm going to get some signs too! I'll have to go to the trophy store for mine. Wow! I'm really excited about this. I've already got an idea of where they're going to be placed in my backyard this summer. Thanks, Jeanne. I'

• jeannespines
    Original Author
    10 years ago

oHHH...be sure to share your idea this summer, OA ... I love those old insulators ... I have some sitting on my patio table now around 3 sizes of aqua Mason jars w/solar lights on the top & half marbles inside ... I can see them from my computer room window here ~~ I'll share a pic (daylight view...the fish will go out by my pond..new purchase)

Thanks, 2B & nana ... I'm always ready to 'shorten up' Winter after Christmas! ;-) Jeanne S.

• jeannespines
    Original Author
    10 years ago

...& a night view from my computer room window ~~ fish is now gone & 3 insulators sitting around the outside of the basket ...see how the snow reflects the solar light & the half marbles makes it sparkle! Fun decorating idea! ~~giggle ~~Jeanne

• phonegirl
    10 years ago

Jeanne, these pictures of your jars w/snow are so fun to see. We are having high winds so most of our snow is gone right now. Suppose to have sunshine the next few days.

Lovely night view, more lights, woohoo! I've never bought myself any colored solar lights but love seeing yours. You are such a great photographer.TFS

Punk

• jeannespines
    Original Author
    10 years ago

They're not colored solar lights ...just those you buy on a 'stake' @the big box stores ...remove the stake & glue to a canning jar screw 'ring' (so the light shines down into the jar illuminating the gems) ... the Mason jars are those old aqua ones. Sweet, uh! Thanks, punk ~~ later. Jeanne S.

• marylee_2010
    10 years ago

Jeanne, You have done your usual wonderful work with your displays. Everything is beautiful. You and Punk are an inspiration! Marylee

• phonegirl
    10 years ago

Jeanne, am I crazy or do I see a big blue and red light behind your jars in the last picture? You know I'm blonde so EASY, haha! Those are the ones I was referring to. I do love your blue jars all lit up with your crafty way of adding the lights to the tops too. I wish they were KERR instead of BALL.

We bought DD a solar light the size of a bowling ball on a stand one year that changes colors. Don't think I ever seen it at night. She hasn't mentioned it so will have to ask about it.

Thanks again Marylee, you are a sweetheart!

Punk

• party_music50
    10 years ago

Jeanne, your lighting ideas are ingenious and it all looks gorgeous! I don't have any old glass insulators but that is the best/coolest use I've ever seen for them. I LOVE the solar-lit mason jars... I'm not sure I understand how you mounted stuff on the "ring" because I've never had any ordinary staked solar lights. I've never had much luck with solar-powered things I've tried for the yard, so I'll just look at yours. :)

• plainjane425
    10 years ago

Jeanne. I commented on your winter porch on FB but will comment
    Again ...just love the 'warmth' of your Winter Porch...so pretty to
    see I'll bet both day and night.
    I especially love your table vignette with the snowmen/ladies and the
    trees. The bedspread snowman is so different and love its 'snowy
    fabric' look. Did you make it?
    I remember you showing how you display the solar lights...and remember
    Stealing...uh...borrowing that idea from you ! Such a great idea..
    Thanks again Jeanne for putting 'Warmth into Winter'.
    jane

• christmascandy
    10 years ago

This is so pretty!
    I always love that old door cabinet!

Ditto to Jane's comment about warming up winter!
    You are certainly an inspiration!

TFS,
    Candy