Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
judithva_gw

Some inspiration pics for Accessorizing

judithva
17 years ago

Hi all,

I thought I would post some inspirations pics that I have in my Photobucket. If there are some photos you like, make sure you save them, cause sometimes I run out of room on my Photobucket acct. and I have to remove them to make room for others.

All of these pictures IMHO have something in the "accessory" arena that a person can get ideas from, whether its plates or pictures on the wall, or accessories on a table top or bookcase, remember, some things look expensive but think out of the box and come up with more affordable subsitutions, that is what I do 98% of the time. LOL

If any one else has inspirations pics please feel free to add to this posting.

{{gwi:1403251}}

{{gwi:1403252}}

{{gwi:1403253}}

{{gwi:1403254}}

{{gwi:1403255}}

{{gwi:1403256}}

{{gwi:1403257}}

{{gwi:1403258}}

{{gwi:1403259}}

{{gwi:1403260}}

{{gwi:1403261}}

{{gwi:1403262}}

{{gwi:1403263}}

{{gwi:1403264}}

{{gwi:1403265}}

{{gwi:1403266}}

{{gwi:1403267}}

{{gwi:1403268}}

{{gwi:1403269}}

{{gwi:1403270}}

{{gwi:1403271}}

{{gwi:1403272}}

{{gwi:1403273}}

{{gwi:1403274}}

Comments (54)

• judithva
    Original Author
    17 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

pattycakes, your collections sound wonderful, I can barely wait to see your pictures.

BEBE, yes, those bakers racks are done beautifully, I have a bakers rack in my garage, unfortunately there is no room inside my home, the pitfalls of a tiny home sigh.....
    Yes, bunnies are great, I use then in different looks all thru the year.

sandi, I like the white pottery collection too, I have quite a few pitchers and such, don't have anywhere right now to put all of them together, but I am forever hopeful, you never know what may be in the future. Am I sick or what. LOL

kathleen, glad you enjoyed the pics. That bowl sounds wonderful, and a great price, hmm you have me thinking...
    Once you start taking pics you will be so happy, I love my camera, I only know the basics of it though, I am not very tech oriented. LOL I agree I love looking at everyones pics.

• luvstocraft
    17 years ago

Those are beautiful homes. I noticed that little bunny pic with the bakers rack. Probably would not have thought to add that, but it sure looks cute in the pic. Marshall's usually has allot of blue and white plates in several different patterns if anyone is looking for some. Kept noticing all the color combinations in those rooms too--so rich looking. Thanks for sharing. Luvs

• paintingfool
    17 years ago

Although I rarely cook, I watch the Food Network Sandra Lee's Semi-Homemade to see how they are going to decorate the set since they change it every week to fit the theme. She did an Easter tablescape today with pastel birdhouses, thought you might like to see it. {{gwi:1403275}}{{gwi:1403276}}

• tamgypsy
    17 years ago

I love all of the pictures Judith posted on accessorizing. Since the start of the tablescape, tablesettings and cake stand addiction I find myself wandering around my house looking at everything very differently...lol
    I discovered I tend to arrange things on the diningroom table and side tables and in some shelfs. I also discovered that I actually still have areas that would lend themself to accessorizing...dresser tops, tops of chests, various cabinets with glass fronts etc. Does your accessorizing cover all of your horizontal surfaces? Do you create vigneittes wherever you can? I would love if all of you could post pictures of your ideas. I am learning so much here and it has opened my eyes already to so many new possibilities.
    I also noticed I have a hard time describing my decorating style...and it changes just so slightly from room to room. I love earthtones and lean towards those paint and furniture colors. I also am scared of stark contrast and most of my rooms have somewhat of a monocramatic feel. I know themed rooms are not a great thing but I somewhat used that approach in some areas in order to pull it together since I feel decorating challenged. In addition I tend to purchase very oversized furniture that make rearranging a challenge so accessorizing is the way to go for me...lol
    Hmmm...what is my style - I guess it would have to be slitghly eclectic traditional with rustic and shabby chic influences and a pinch of pottery barn...lol
    Oh btw..excuse any mispelling of decorating terms, with english as my second language I am at times spelling challenged as well..lol

• Sandi_W
    17 years ago

Paintingfool, I love the pastel birdhouses with the pastel plates. The table is very elegant, yet casual. It's very spring looking and would work perfectly for Easter.
    Tamgypsy, It depends on the holiday as to how much decorating I do. For Christmas I decorated heavily in every room. For Valentine's I will decorate a tree & 1 table in my LR, my kitchen table and the bar between the kitchen and den. For Easter I will do the same as I do for Valentine's and probably try to put a little something on the bedroom dressers.
    If I had to guess a style of my house I would say eclectic.

Sandi

• paintingfool
    17 years ago

I like to decorate everything, and I like it to look different than my family or friends. I find I have a bit of a different technique now that I have grand children, you know, putting things out of reach. Just when I thought it was safe to put things out again because they are all 6, my son gives me another little girl who is now 9 months.

My problem is I like almost all colors and styles except I am not fond of contemporary. I am a bit eclectic because I have several pieces of furnitures that I won't get rid of because I like them. When someone tells me it doesn't match what I have, I just tell them it matches ME. I think my tastes run more along the lines of tradional old world casual elegance - if there is such a thing. In my bedroom I have a comforter that I love in blues, golds, and taupe. Normally blue is not the color I would choose but I loved this comforter (Croscill Napoleon) and waited almost 2 years for it to go on sale at 1/2 price. Now, I am floundering trying to find things to coordinate with it. To accessorize I am going with the taupes and golds, haven't decided to paint the walls yet but I am thinking of a striped tone on tone of either taupe or gold. Have to find the right shade and the time.

Your spelling looks fine, I am not computer literate so I sometimes have a hard time with all the abbreviations.

I am so happy to find others who have interests the same as mine - decorating, tablescapes, and painting.

I would love to see how some of the bathrooms are decorated. I have a six foot sink/counter in my guest bath with a six foot mirror. I am goint to change out the hollywood dressing room type lights but need ideas on what to display on the counter. The colors are lavender, rose, and burgundy. I would post this on the Home Decorating side but everyone on this post has much better ideas. bebe

• luvstocraft
    17 years ago

Oh, those birdhouses look so pretty--really looking like Spring. Like that tablecloth too. Do you think those ruffled plates are glass or plastic? I have never watched that show--might have to peek in from time to time. Thanks for sharing PF.

Tamgypsy, I know what you mean. I keep feeling that I need to update my decor a bit. Only been in this house about five years, but walls are mostly still white, and I see so many pretty shades on the walls in pictures. Just so afraid of doing all that work and then not liking it I guess. I have low ceilings in this house--had really high ones in my prior condo--so this house feels more dark and closed in.

The other area you mentioned that I am never sure how to decorate is dresser tops. I've noticed they don't show those very often in magazines--perhaps because the mirrors would have too much reflection.

Before this forum and going to work at the little antique&collectibles store, I just put things on shelves and end tables and the top of cabinets that I thought sort of went together and added some color. Now I am looking at it all a bit differently and wanting to try to make more vignettes(sp) of my things. The owner of the store really displayed things so nicely--they weren't just lined up on the shelf. She used plate stands allot, lots of mirrors behind or under objects, and groupings that just looked so good together.

Your spelling is better than mine Tamgypsy. Anyway don't worry about it, we will get the idea. Just glad you are sharing thoughts and ideas with us.

Luvs

• luvstocraft
    17 years ago

PF, your bathroom colors sound so lush and beautiful. Don't think you need any help from us! ;o)

Like the colors in your comforter too. I ordered my bdspread from Touch of Class catalog. It was shown and described as taupe on taupe--looks more gold to me! I kept it anyway because I like the color okay and it was the extra long, extra wide size I needed for our adjustable bed.

Have all of you seen that catalog? You can also check it out at www.touchofclasscatalog.com if you are interested. I think it used to be better than it is now, but it is still fun to look at it.

I am really enjoying this forum too. Love these topics and all your pics and ideas. Some of the other forums are pretty slow right now, aren't they? Maybe the painting forum would be busier if I'd get off here and go paint something to share! Ha ha

Luvs

• tamgypsy
    17 years ago

Paintingfool, thank you for posting those pictures that is a cute set up and gives me some really good ideas. I don't have any decorative birdhouses in pastel colors but I have some others I may be able to use. I never even considered that...:)
    I don't think my Bathroom pictures would be much help to you...lol...it has the basic bathroom type of counter items...my master bath is in shades of lavendar and white...maybe I can move some things around today and take some pictures sometime soon. In the long run I do want to make some changes in my bathroom, it has all gold brass fixtures which I hate but since light, faucets doorhardware, knobs and the showerdoor have the gold brass it'll cost quite a bit to change it to the ORB or brushed nickel I would prefer.

• judithva
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Well darn I just typed in a whole message and it disappeared, I am not used to using this notebook computer...
    Painting fool, loved the pictures, I like pastels alot, the birdhouse theme is so cute. Post some pics of your bedspread, maybe all of us might be able to come up with some accessory suggestions. I love blue, myself, so there should be some possibilities.
    tamgypys, I like to accessorize everywhere I have a flat surface, I don't have too many of them though, since I am in a tiny house (940 sq ft). I do accessorize my walls alot though with "art", plates, sconces etc. Creating vignettes is a lot of fun for me (and sometimes frustrating when it doesn't come together LOL. I basically channge the looks of my dining room table centerpiece, coffee table and small end tables in the LR. In the bedroom I do up the side dresser, and the large "hutch" I have in there. Monocromatic decorating is very elegant, that is the style my DD prefers and I used to decorate that way too, my colors at the time was all whites and cream with a "hit" of black. The nice thing about monocromatic decor is that you can throw in a complementary color and give your room a whole new look if you want. Excuse my spelling too, I wish there was a spell check on this site.

luvs, I used to decorate my main dresser top (when I had one), there is no room in my bedroom for a dresser now, I have a large "hutch" type of thing and a bedside dresser), but anyways, dressers are great to do and I consider the mirror reflections a plus, (as long as you are reflecting something pretty LOL)

• paintingfool
    17 years ago

Judith, I am attaching a picture of my bedspread, hope the colors come through. I did not want to buy the drapes that match but have found a very pretty Christopher Lowell material that I plan on making the window treatments from. Thanks for everyones help. {{gwi:1403277}}{{gwi:1403278}}

• judithva
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thanks for posting the pic, I am having a bit of a difficult time seeing them great on the notebook computer, I think I like my work computer better for viewing photos...

The material and bedspread is very beautiful, definately calls for elegent accessories.
    I can see in the inspiration photo you posted that it appears they are using gold/brass and crystal, which is what I would use if I had that bedspread, although silver is good too.
    You could also alot of "mirror" type of accessories, they had some lovely mirrored boxes in the plain and etched style at TJ. Max, Marshalls, and Ross a while back. Picture frames in a bedroom is alway popular and intimate, look for silver frames, mirror frames, if you are going in the "silver" direction, if you are using the gold look, then look for the gold color frames.

If you don't want too much gold/brass in your lamp they have beautiful crystal columned lamps now in the stores, I have seen an affordable lamp at Walmart, also have seen them at the stores I had mentioned above.

Crystal accessories would look very nice with that look too. You an get crystal water holders for your bedside table at the above mentioned stores too. They even make crystal and glass clocks which would be a pretty accessory item too. Don't forget about a figureine too if you like that.

Get art for the walls that incorporates a lot of soft romantic blues done in a traditional style, nothing modern looking since your bedspread has classical styling. Some romantic shelf sconces would look pretty on the wall too.

You can still use silver accessories in there too with the gold. I have some inspiration photos, I will have to look at them and download at work, since I haven't figured that out yet with this laptop. Anyways, I don't think it would clash with gold touches if you go in that direction. Although, my personal favorite with blue is silver tones IMHO.

That bedspread would show up pretty against walls that are painted in a complementary color.

• Sandi_W
    17 years ago

Paintingfool, Your spread is gorgeous, very elegant and I think striped tone on tone taupe or gold would look wonderful. I agree with Judith that crystal lamps would beautiful in your bedroom.

Luvs, I haven't seen a Touch of Class catalog in years, but I'm going to the site now. Thanks for reminding me of it.

Sandi

• paintingfool
    17 years ago

Thanks for all of your advice. I have several paintings that will go nicely with the colors in the bedspread which are a very soft blue. My sister gave me two antique porcelain lamps that have the very classical look. I purchased lamp shades in a classic design in a pale taupe color. I have two blue leather chairs with cabriole legs and a 36" round table between the two chairs. I do not have it accessorized yet and I think your suggestions about the figurines will work well. I have some beautiful Waterford crystal frames I picked up yesterday (the Waterford store was closing so I got them 40% off) and I like having photos of the family around. I have a beautiful blue porcelain floral plate that might look nice displayed on a stand and I have several crystal candlesticks I could display on that table.

The bedroom is 18'x19' and for me is quite large. The bed is king size and I have coordinating pillows but I was thinking of some gold beaded type pillows to breakup the pattern in the bedspread. I have a beautiful bench at the foot of the bed that has a solid suede in the darker tones of taupe. And I just remembered I have several sconces that I have never used. I have a large porcelain tea/coffee pot my husband picked up in China. It is about 16" high and is white with a darker blue design. Do you think it would work even though the colors are a bit darker blue? I like the look when it is not too matchey.

OK, now I am excited. But I still have to make a trip to the store to see what else I can find. I am working one room at a time so when I finish the bedroom I will start on that massive bathroom.

Thanks again,

• judithva
    Original Author
    17 years ago

paintingfool, wow, you sound like you've got it completely undercontrol!! Everything sounds wonderful. Your bedroom size is to die for (it's half the size of my tiny house LOL) The tea set sounds great too, different tones of blue is nice too to bring out some depth, it will add greatly to the romance of the room. Yes, by all means add some solid complementary colors to the bedspread set up, again, to me this adds depth.
    Oh, yes, don't forget to add greenery of some kind, it always makes a room alive.

• judithva
    Original Author
    17 years ago

paintingfool, I forgot to add, (since I am spending your money LOLOLOL) I love it when there is a crystal chandlier coming from the ceiling (if that is workable) I would love to do that in my bedroom, but I have low ceilings (8') sigh...... the design of your bedroom could carry it off easily if your ceiling is high enough. OK I am done spending your money.....for a while.

• Sandi_W
    17 years ago

painting fool, Your bedroom sounds gorgeous. I can't wait to see your pictures. Sandi

• paintingfool
    17 years ago

I would love a crystal chandelier and since my SIL works at an electrical supply house I can get it for his price. I have a tray ceiling in my bedroom but right now it has a ceiling fan - I am not fond of ceiling fans but it does come in handy here in the south. I rarely use it because we have central heat and air so the chandelier is very do-able. It may take me a while before I can post the pictures, right now all I can do is scan. I know as much about digital cameras as I do about computers. I have two Waterford crystal lamps, one is on the large size and one is medium, I think the medium one will look nice on that table so I am going to give it a try. (I purchased these lamps overseas about 25 years ago, very cheap compared to todays prices). Oh, I just thought of the figurines I have, they are by Lladro and if you have seen their work, they have blue tones in them - I never use them, they just stay in the curio cabinet.

Sandy, the bedroom is a nice size. When we built this house, all I wanted was a decent size kitchen, a large bedroom and a large bathroom. My bathroom is 13'x17', has two walkin closets and a walk in linen closet. It has a jacuzzi tub but I have only used it twice since we moved in 6 years ago. I didn't know you aren't suppose to put bubble bath in a jacuzzi and I did. The bubbles turned into foam and was up to my neck. Had to call the hubby to help me out and when I stepped out of the tub I looked like the Michelin Tire Man - I had to get in the shower to finish bathing LOL.

Now, I am really excited, wish I had more time today to go shopping but my children are coming over for dinner. Since we are having steak from the grill, I don't think I will try setting up the dining room table.

Yall have been great!! I never thought of putting some of these items in the room even though they are right in front of me - you opened my eyes to see what I already have and how I can use it. Thank you.

• patty_cakes
    17 years ago

PF, I LOVE the pastel b'houses, but love b'houses in general! Several years ago I painted a wood trellis a deep green, attached it to the wall in my kitchen dining area, and hung birdhouses on it using velcro. Scattered small birds here and there, and added a few dried branches from a tree in the backyard. Also had them on a shelf I had so many. I loved that little room! I now have just a few in my lime green laundry room, painted white with a little black trim. Just can't seem to escape them. LOL

Your MBR/bath sound wonderful~such large spaces, too. I love your choice of bedding, but taupe has always been one of my favorite colors. I always associate it with being more of an elegant color than a tan or beige would be, and it's beautiful with blue! What color are your walls? I love the inspiration pic with the fabric 'backdrop' behind the bed~with your large expanse of walls, creating something like that would break things up a bit. Not just drapery-like panels, but use or make a coronet. Here's a website for the idea i'm trying so hard to explain...LOL:

http://interiordec.about.com/cs/canopybeds/l/aacanopybedsc.htm

I made one by using one of those metal, wall-hanging flower 'pockets'(turned upside down) you can find them at Michael's, but I got a very nice one at Big Lots and painted it an antique gold. You could also use a large size wall sconce or decorative shelf turned upside down, with the fabric 'spilling' from it. You have to gather it at the top, and then spread it out and use a couple of small thumb tacks to hold it in place. I've done this over a wicker love seat, over my GD's bed, as well as in my guest BR~I didn't have a headboard in there, so this serves two purposes.

I'm not fond of ceiling fans either, but since my condo was built in '84, don't have any. I DO have several chandliers AND candleiers, though! LOL A candleier would be nice hanging in a corner, over one end of a dresser, a nightstand, or even over that jacuzzi tub(LMBO over your jacuzzi story!)~adds a bit of romance. You can usually find them in black, but I was lucky enough to find one at an estate sale in an antique brass and have it in my powder room. You can always spray paint one, too. But you do *need* to get those Waterford lamps in your MBR!!! My goodness, I can't imagine having such wonderful things and not using them..PF, shame on you. LOL

As to 'if it goes' it really doesn't matter if you love something~it's all seen thru *your* eyes, and that's all that matters. So get out all those beautiful things you probably have! Stagger a couple of decorative shelves/sconces in the bath too, and use some of your things there, also. I have a very small powder room, but have painted it a deep red, and have pictures, plates, architechtural elements, sconces, mirrors, hung floor to ceiling! it makes for a very interesting place to 'do your business'. LOL Guests have a lot to look at and i've gotten some great comments. LOL Decorating is taking chances too, but you gotta do what *you* like(and DH), if he shows an interest.

So what are you waiting for? Get going and bring on the pix! ;o)

patty_cakes

• paintingfool
    17 years ago

Patty, the coronet idea is a good one. I have a half table in cream/gold with a filigree apron of about 16-18" wide. It also has a mirror to match. It would make a nice coronet. I will have to figure out how much material to use. I have the usual off white walls, but I want to paint them a tone on tone in taupe. I have to have someone here to help me since I can't move the furniture like I use to - getting older is the pits!!

With all these great suggestions I started rummaging through my closets and found sconces, wall shelves, candle holders, a candelabra, a wall plate holder - and that was just from one closet. I buy things throughout the year and if I don't use it right away I forget about it. Sometimes I buy just because I think it is pretty but may not have a definite use for it at the time.

I am going to the storage unit this week to see what else I have stored away. I stopped at one of our Big Lots yesterday but couldn't find the little votive holders like Judith's. But we have two other stores so I will try them tomorrow also.

I thought I might get a bit lonely with my hubby out of the country for three weeks (he's flying to the Philippines to play golf!!) but I think I am going to be busy shopping and decorating.

• luvstocraft
    17 years ago

Wow! This has been a busy post today. That is so wonderful, I have enjoyed reading every bit of it.

PF, Your bedspread is beautiful, and it sounds like you are well on the way to redoing your bedroom and making it just spectacular. How nice that you have so many things already on hand. That will make it all so much quicker, and give you the opportunity to use and enjoy your "treasures". Have fun.

Judith, you did a wonderful job of making suggestions on what would go well in PF's room. It was like you were drawing a "word" picture. I could just visualize each thing as you mentioned it. As for your small home, we have already seen and heard enough to know that you really make the most of each inch. You do wonderful decorating, add great accessories, and still find the storage space for your treasured dishes. ;o)

Patty, you are my kind of woman--sounds like you really know how to take an idea and "do it yourself". I think that is the key to getting the look you want--just figure out what you would like and go for it.

PF, your DH may come home to a whole new elegant and "romantic" bedroom. Have some fun and go for it!

Oh one more thing, you need to go to a camera or computer store and get the hookups to transfer your pictures from your camera to the computer. Then you can share more pics with us. ;o)

Luvs

• luvstocraft
    17 years ago

I hadn't had a chance to post these pics before. These are some plates I picked up a couple weeks ago after seeing Judith's vignettes.

The plate with the scalloped rim I found at Marshall's or Home Goods, loved the rim on it. And the rose one came from Marshall's too--I want to use it in my bedroom on the dresser.

Thought these other plates might work in a vignette too--and I found them at TS, so very inexpensive plus 20% off that day.

The last plate was made in England and has a raised border, but it has allot of brown spots on it which I have tried to remove. It is not in the best of condition, but I just could not let it end up in a dumpster! ;o( I will probably hang it in the guest room where I have an antique dresser and rocking chair--it should fit right in there. Luvs

• Sandi_W
    17 years ago

Luvs, You have certainly been on the plate hunt! You have some very pretty ones to use. I guess I need to hit the TS more often.

• luvstocraft
    17 years ago

Judith, when you are looking through your clippings, will you keep a lookout for any decorated dresser tops.

I have a lace scarf and some small knickknacks on mine, but want to use my new rose plate with the gold background on it--just not quite sure what else I might like on there with it.

I've been looking through some of my saved magazines and some clippings too--just don't often see dressers--they mostly focus on the bed.
    Thanks, Luvs

• Sandi_W
    17 years ago

Luvs, I would love to see pics of decorated dressers also. Your rose plate will be lovely on your dresser. I can see a vase or perhaps a pitcher with it and a little greenery and maybe a figurine. Play time!

• judithva
    Original Author
    17 years ago

luvs, I have been running all weekend, my DD decided to take me shopping till I dropped...LOL

sandi gave some great suggestions.

Some more things to think about, a family picture (buy a frame that is in the decor of your bedroom that nestles in with the plate, a crystal bowl, even 1 buffet style lamp with the vingette is nice, if you have a mirror above your dresser that is always a nice reflection of the item, not to mention the light coming from the lamp, use a low watt bulb for romance. Small crystal box, or whatever box will look good with the plate. Miniture clock, a small voltive candle or even a candle stick, remember like any successful vignette reguardless of where it is going is going to be determined by heights, picture a triangle in your mind, tall, medium and low items. So keep in mind Height, theme, and color. You can give height to things by stacking them with a book or two or 3 LOL

I'll pull out some of my bedroom inspiraton pics this week.

Here is one I posted in another post on the main board. This is a photo of a makeup table, but you get the idea.

{{gwi:1403285}}

One thing that I can't stress enough, and it has been mentioned here before, the book:

Art of Accessorizing by Christi Carter is EXCELLENT!!! I truly find it to be a great teaching tool. If you buy no other book, get this one, that is how good I think it is for beginner or or even the non-beginner. It has fantastic photos and literally step-by-step directions.

• luvstocraft
    17 years ago

Thanks Sandi and Judith. Both of the mirrors with the dressing table are beautiful--I would never have expected two together. Love all the shiney silver items.

I think I have a couple of silver dishes, might try one of them on the dresser, and I like the idea of some flowers along with the plate. I also have a nice sized crystal votive in a nice holder--I'll see if it will work too. Sounds like I just need to pull together a few items and then arrange and rearrange until I like it. I really want to get away from what I have on there now--it's too symetrical and boring.

Thanks for thinking about it, and giving me some ideas both of you.

Luvs

• luvstocraft
    17 years ago

Judith, I forgot to mention that I am putting that book on my birthday wish list for this year. DIL is really good about getting me things I ask for. I can hardly bear to wait--but it's only a couple months away.

Think I might stop at our library this week to see if they have any tablesetting books I could browse through.

Luvs

• patty_cakes
    17 years ago

Luvs, If you have some pretty perfume bottles, don't forget to use those too. Even the perfume(s)you're using now could go on your vanity/dressing table. If it's in a clear glass bottle, add a cut glass dish to hold a pair of earrings or a watch. A round cut glass serving dish also makes a nice tray to hold things or a small wall mirror, even if there is one on the wall already. Either one gives the illusion of more sparkle.

Again, try you local thrift stores for some great stuff and even better prices. Not too long ago I found a lidded, cut glass square dish with a filigree footed bottom, and it came with two square matching perfume bottles, encased in the filigree~$8 for all three pieces! It looked antique, and even though I knew it wasn't, I was a happy camper. I change out my dressing table between cut glass/silver and use a small lamp with a glass shade, and all black glass accessories with a small brass lamp with a gold/black fabric shade~i'm using the black at the moment.

I can't stress enough the bargains that can be found at thrift stores and flea markets! If you have either in your area, and haven't been for awhile, I suggest you give it another try. You DO have to go frequently, but you never know what treasure or TREASURES you might find on those days. I also find that the smaller, privately owned ones have the better bargains. Salavation Army/Goodwill are over the top with their pricing, but go have a look-see and form your own opinion. ;o)

Judith, the dressing table you posted was beautiful! Even tho I don't sit at mine, I do stand in the mirror to have that final look after getting dressed. I just like the whole feminine idea about having one. ;o)

patty_cakes

• patty_cakes
    17 years ago

Luvs, went back and read thru the post, and see you've already done some 'thrifing'! Great plates, and pretty enough for a dressing table, either to put things on, place on an easel or both!

I haven't been for a few weeks~again, the new baby. LOL

I need to go this week. I'm having TS withdrawal. ;o)

patty_cakes

• luvstocraft
    17 years ago

Yep, I got started checking out the local TS when I first joined the Garden Junk forum. I fell in love with making the glass totems for my yard, so had to hit the TS for some inexpensive glass items. Now I just like to go every couple of weeks to see what has come in. Sometimes I find items I can use to paint on, or something perfect to enhance a flower bed, and now I'm really scanning all the dishes! LOL One of the local ones has 50% off on glassware one week each month--always have to pick up one of their calendars so I know when to go back. It's fun, and doesn't take allot of money.

Now I have a friend who sends me emails when there is going to be an estate sale locally. I haven't gone to one yet, but there's one coming up next month. Sure hope there will be some pretty plates or crystal there. (And hope nothing comes up to prevent me from getting to go.)

Luvs

• judithva
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Gosh, you guys are luckier than I am at Thrift shops, for a few months I was hitting them regularly with DD looking for "stuff", neither one of us had much luck. But you've inspired me to look again.

• luvstocraft
    17 years ago

Judith, I am really lucky--an adjoining town had two new ones open up last year within a mile of each other! Go figure. Anyway, when I head out, I make a circuit. I hit those two, one a few miles down the road in the next town, then head a little further down the road to another adjoining town with a nice sized one. If I hit all four in one day--I am bound to find something! Ha ha

And you are so right--you just never know if there will be anything or not. Just depends on what they get in. But I enjoy the thrill of the hunt. I can just imagine how great Pattycakes must have felt when she discovered those silver chargers--and we had just been talking about chargers on here!

Pattycakes, I love the pretty perfume bottles too. That was one of the things I loved about working at the little antique and collectible shop--the owner had allot of them--some were so amazing with the atomizers on them, many were crystal set in a gold holder, some had engraved roses on them (all were priced waaay too high for my budget) but at least I got to enjoy seeing them and could even pick them up and admire the details. Lots of pretty silver mirror/comb/brush sets too, and some fantastic mirror trays in silver and one in ceramic flowers. They just made me drool. Guess those are things to watch for at TS, YS and the estate sales too.

Luvs

• judithva
    Original Author
    17 years ago

luvs, that is a perfect set up! How is your dresser designing going? I did pull out my "bedrooms" folder and you are right, not a whole lot of pic showing the dresser, or if they do, it has a few of the things on it that we all had previously talked about. I will keep looking though.

• patty_cakes
    17 years ago

Luvs, just an FYI for you girlfriend~when I was at Big Lots the other day they had three minature perfume bottles on a small mirrored tray. They were clear glass and if my memory is working, were the 'infamous' pink, on the top~can't remember the price tho, maybe $12 for the 4 piece set. It was very cute, and I almost got it to add to my perfume bottle collection. Sheez, still might!!LOL

patty_cakes

• luvstocraft
    17 years ago

Judith, I have a few things I want to play with--hopefully tomorrow while DH is working. Had the grandbaby again this afternoon while son and DIL went to the movies.

Right now, there's a big golf trophy bowl in the middle of my dresser--DH emptys his pockets there (and never ever sorts through it to throw any of it away!) I'm thinking I might use either a crystal bowl or a silver tray for his watch and change to land on--and the trophy can go in his computer room! Have to make some concessions for our guys sometimes. I keep telling him he could use the top drawer of his night stand--but he has this habit already.

I like my bedroom furniture, bedspread and window swag--but the walls are still white. I keep thinking I will make a decision on a color and paint it--someday!

Isn't it strange that all the bedroom pics just ignore dressers? I see lots of armoires (sp) and beds and even night stands--but very seldom a dresser. Maybe they are not popular anymore. I know I read a thread on the Home Dec forum where they were suggesting that the mirror be removed from the dresser. I don't want to do that, I love mirrors.

Luvs

• patty_cakes
    17 years ago

Judith, men like to think the 'master' bedroom belongs to them, too~why is that?LOL

I have a dresser and removed the mirror some time ago~I have a full length one on the inside of my closet door. I wanted to have a curio shelf above the dresser where I could display my white ceramics. I would really love an armoire, and looked at one on sale at Macy's today. I would like to put a tv in the top portion and use the bottom drawers for clothes. I've never had a tv in the bedroom, but think I might like to curl up in bed and be comfy~i've always considered exercise equipment or a tv bad feng shui in a bedroom. If it's behind closed doors it's not as bad. Once you get to know me, you'll find I have a few quirks. LOL ;o)

patty_cakes

• judithva
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Patty, no way can you have quirks, just consider it part of your decorating philosophy! Now me, I totally ignore the feng shui stuff, I'm stubborn, I want to have things the way I want them, thats one of the pluses of being over 40 and single, well, OK I do cater to my dog Toby, but he doesn't care how I decorate either (the perfect male)! LOL
    I have a Tv in the bedroom, but if I had a choice it would be behind closed doors, because it does look better that way, one day..... My exercise equip is in another room, that way I can conveiently close the door and ignore that it even exists (unfortunatley my body shows it LOLOLO)

luvs, thats a perfect and elegant compromise for your hubby's change and stuff. He gets somewhere it put it and you get some "flash" for the dresser, we all want our homes to look pretty, but lets face it, "we all gotta live there" LOL I like a mirror with a dresser too, but that is because I am very fond of mirrors, they add light, glamour, and help to visually enlarge a room, I have mirrors all over the house.

• patty_cakes
    17 years ago

Judith, i'm 60 and single, and have three male cats, who like to watch me decorate. LOL Painting with a roller gets to be pretty tricky when you have a cat that keeps jumping up and down trying to catch it. And how they love those tassels I have hanging all over the place! LOL I'm comfortable with/by myself, and like having my own way about everything. LOL I have mirrors all over too~good feng shui. LOL

patty_cakes

• luvstocraft
    17 years ago

Judith, This house came with a whole wall of closets in the bedroom--covered with floor to ceiling sliding mirrored doors! We left them there, and it actually makes the room look larger--unfortunately it reminds me that my body needs an exercise room. LOL

Luvs

• judithva
    Original Author
    17 years ago

patty, I'll bet that is a riot to watch your cats "helping" you! You should see my dog when I vacuum, I don't need his kind of help...one day he's gonna get sucked up!
    We do sound alike, I love "getting my way" too. heh, heh.

luvs, LOL, I do love mirrors (except for the full length ones), like you said, too much of a reminder that I have a "few" cough, sputter, pounds to lose. LOL I have an exercise room (I just pretend it doesn't exist, except to hold my coats)

• patty_cakes
    17 years ago

Judith, I have one 'little boy' cat that likes to watch me vacumn~it's the same one that jumps at the paint roller!!!LOL He's just like a child~can be annoying, but ohhhh, so lovable. His name is Joey~when he was a kitten he jumped like a Kangaroo! LOL LOL

Ohhhh, how I LOVE having my way!! I'm so spoiled! LOL

patty_cakes

• judithva
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Luvs this is what I have come across so far with dresser accesorizing, not much, but I'm still looking for you.

{{gwi:1403286}}

{{gwi:1403287}}

{{gwi:1403289}}

• patty_cakes
    17 years ago

I'm seriously thining of getting rid of my dresser and getting a large armoire~looked at Macy's the other day and saw one on sale. It was large enough to hold a tv on the top, but had several storage drawers below, which I think would be perfect. I'll have shelves in the closet for other folder items.

Believe me, with a bookcase, nightstands, wall shelves, library table, setee, dressing table, and drop-leaf desk(I use for towels in my bath)I have plenty of room for accessories.LOL

I've never had a tv in the BR and am thinking it might be nice!can't stand one if it isn't behind closed doors. Wires and stuff hanging down bugs me. Pet peever #2 Judith. LOL

patty_cakes

• judithva
    Original Author
    17 years ago

My TV is in a large wall unit type of thing in the bedroom. Can't see the wires, but there aren't doors in front of the TV, I wish there were..... I definately agree with your peeve! LOL

I love amoires, I think they are romantic looking. I don't have a dresser either, I barely have room for the bed!! So that wall unit is my "accessory" area. And I can put a few things on the dresser/nightstands. I have all my other clothes hung, the "undies" and such go in the larger "dresser/end table".

• luvstocraft
    17 years ago

Judith, you find the most beautiful pics. Those rooms are beautiful. I am seeing lots of neat things there in the same line I was thinking of. Love that covered dish in the first one--good place to hide those things DH empties out of his pockets. The little green dish in the last one would serve to hold keys and wallet overnight--I had planned to add something like that on mine. I'm going to study each of them a bit more and see which elements I might be able to use. Thank you for posting those.

I played a bit yesterday. Had a couple of items on there that had seen better days and just seemed too small in front of the mirror which is pretty big. Plus it is just time for a change--like to do that once in awhile. I even tried one of my tall bunnies on there, but didn't leave him. Might try him again with some type of flower or greenery arrangement--was going to look around the house to see what I have that might work.

Also discovered that I need to find a couple gold colored frames for that room, since my lamps and other accessories are gold colored. Most of my frames are wood, pewter colored, or silver colored.

My mirror has two "wings" which I love. Thinking I might try a floral arrangement in the middle sort of like the 2nd picture you posted--then go from there.

Pattycakes, your bedroom must be huge to hold so much furniture. I seldom watch tv in there unless I am sick and want to stay in bed. Our bed is the type that the head and foot can be raised, so DH likes to watch tv when he goes to bed--I always fall asleep! Ha ha Mine is a nice size, but other than the bedspread, curtains and a few pictures on the wall, it is more utilatarian than "pretty" right now.

Hey, how do they hide the wires in the new tv's that hang on the walls? I see allot of them above fireplaces now. I always hated seeing the cords when we used to have open shelving with the tv, VHS, stereo, etc. on them--I used to wrap a garland of silk flowers around the cords to try to make them look better. Now they do have cord "covers" that hold them all together and that looks better than lots of cords hanging down.

Thanks again for the pics. I'll chat with you later. Luvs

• Sandi_W
    17 years ago

Judith, You posted some very pretty pictures. I see lots of ideas I could incorporate into my own bedroom. Thaks for sharing.

Patty_cakes, Your bedroom sounds like it is very pretty. Mine would never hold so much furniture. What style is your bedroom done in?

Luvs, My DH would never bother to put the cover back on anything on the dresser if he even bothered to open it in the first place. ;~) I bet you had fun playing with different accessories yesterday. I love doing that kind of thing. I think your bunny would look pretty with an arrangement.

I also hate electrical cords showing. Sometimes it's impossible to hide them and they are such an eyesore. Most of the new houses being built have an electrical outlet over the fireplace for the flat tvs. Or so DH tells me.

I don't have a tv in my bedroom, but I do have one in an armoir in my guest room which is only used when guests are here. I've never wanted one in my bedroom as I can't sleep when it is on.

• luvstocraft
    17 years ago

Hi all, Worked on redoing the dresser top today. I remembered a pretty vase that I had bought, put some pink silk hydrangas in it, put it in front of one wing of the mirror. I set one of my bunnies next to it, then a ruffled crystal dish in front.

On the other side, I have a crystal candleholder that I wish was taller, my small wooden jewelry box, and one of the bunnies with the pink bow.

In the very middle, I put a medium sized footed crystal bowl. DH can work on filling it up now! Ha ha

I was going to take a pic to show you all, but batteries are dead in the camera, and DH didn't plug the spare one in after our trip.

It looks much better than it did, I'm sure I will continue to "tweak" it a bit and try a few other things. Wasn't sure about using both bunnies--but it needed something nice on both sides. I tried the flowers in front of the middle mirror but didn't like it--they were too tall--or I'm too short! Ha ha

Instead of the 2nd bunny, I think a small lamp would be cute--but then the candleholder might not look right. This isn't easy for me as you can tell. I wanted to be more creative and try to really make it look nice.

I don't know how these designers figure out what goes well with what--it's sure not as easy as they make it look--but then they have access to all kinds of pretties, where my choices are much more limited! LOL

Oh, I just had a thought--if I find a small lamp, I can put the candleholder on the side next to the flowers, and move that bunny over by the lamp--eliminate the bunny with the bow--I think I've got it! Now to find a cute small lamp--good excuse to hit the TS again I think.

Thanks for listening to me ramble--I will share pics when I get it all set up.

Luvs

• patty_cakes
    17 years ago

Judith,you find the most amazing pictures! I'm drooling again.LOL

Luvs,that sound very pretty. Do you have room for a floral arrangement? I think I have at least three in my MBR, and maybe two 'cachepots'with greenery. They're all white/cream because my bedroom is all cream/white.

Sandi,I love my bedroom! The only things that were new were the four-poster rice bed, the dresser,and one night stand. Not even the lamps were new, but I think all the shades were. The white comforter might be embroidered in candlewicking,but i'm not sure~I picked it up for 6.99 and it was filthy. Most people would not have even looked at it, but all I could see was the white embroidery. I brought it home,bleached it twice, and it looks beautiful. Tons of white Battenburg pillows are on the bed, lamps/shades are white, scarfs on dresser/night stands are white,also. It's a very pleasant space.;o)

patty_cakes

• luvstocraft
    17 years ago

Pattycakes, yes, my starting point was the pretty vase with some pink hydrangas in it. Really added some much needed height and color on the dresser. I have a large ivory cupid and ferns and roses on the top of the amoire, that's all that I have room for in there.

Your bedroom sounds lovely--very feminine. So nice that you saw the potential in that comforter--I love it when things can be saved and given new life.

Luvs