Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
party_music50

Finished Santa and checking in.

party_music50
12 years ago

Hello everyone. It's been a terrible year here so I have hardly been around at all. Lost my Dad in November and I'm facing a scary surgery. Guess 2012 won't be so great either.

The camera broke 2 days before xmas, so I'm just figuring out the new one... sorry for whatever is wrong in these first attempts. I wanted to show you the finished Santa that my woodcarver friend made me in exchange for me custom-weaving the miniature baskets (he carved duplicate santas for him and me in exchange for my duplicate baskets)...

Here he was on guard (last photo with the old camera. lol!):

Closer up with the new camera... front and back:

And I'll close by showing you my experiment... as I was putting away decorations I decided to try storing my light strings in some clear 'spring mix' containers. These are 100 light strings and they fit perfectly! :)

I can see by the posts that it's been a quiet place here. Hoping everyone's New Year is better than last!

Comments (13)

• lynnencfan
    12 years ago

Wow what two talented people - love the carving and your baskets are so cute. The basket really compliments the Santa :) - So very sorry to hear about the loss of your Dad - I can imagine it is especially hard when it happens near the holiday season ((hugs)) and prayers that your surgery is successful and recovery w/o any complications .....

Lynne

• jeannespines
    12 years ago

party ...good to hear from you...yes, it's been quiet for awhile now over the Christmas/New Yr holidays. Am sorry for the loss of your Dad...just one of the toughest sorrows in our life's journey. Hugs to you. And I will keep you in thought & prayer that your surgery will bring you comfort & feeling better.

As far as your camera goes...those new pics are AWESOME! What a beautiful, beautiful Santa & your precious basket seals the deal!!! Love it! That 1st pic is really cool, too of him by your tree! Great art by both you & your friend!

& the 'lights' container is a good idea! TFS! Keep us updated on your progress (please). Jeanne S.

• christmascandy
    12 years ago

My deepest sympathies on your loss. It is always difficult to lose a loved one and it seems even more tragic when it happens close to the holidays.

I wish you a successful result and speedy recovery from your surgery.

Your new Santa is amazing. The heart on the back is a sweet touch. I have a question...How did you get the handle of the basket through Santa's fist??

Very nice pictures from your new camera. It really captures the details on your Santa. I'd say you and your friend both received fabulous items with your trade!

Wishing you a fabulous 2012.

TFS,
    Candy

• Marlene Kindred
    12 years ago

So sorry about the loss of your Dad. That is always hard. LOVE your Santa...he's amazing! And the little basket that you wove is really, really amazing...great job! How nice to have someone to "barter" with!

• luvstocraft
    12 years ago

Jeannne said all the words I wanted to say, so will just say "ditto". So nice hearing from you, and be sure and let us hear from you after your surgery, okay? Hugs and prayers, Luvs

• phonegirl
    12 years ago

PM, so sorry to hear about the loss of your dad. A scary surgery ahead for you doen't sound good either. Will keep you in my thoughts and prayers.

I remember you talking about this carving friend wanting you to make these little baskets for these santa's, don't I? Love the finished santa with your little basket. Just beautiful.

Your Christmas tree looks pretty in the background. Pretty clever idea for storing your lights. Take care and as Luvs said keep us posted after surgery.

Punk

• plainjane425
    12 years ago

PM...I'm so sorry to hear about the loss of your Dad.
    Please accept my sincere sympathy to you and your family.

Keep positive on your up coming surgery...I, like others
    here, will keep you in my prayers for a sucessful outcome.

You and your friend are so talanted. The Santa and Basket - were 'Made For Each Other' !!lol
    They look awesome! I'm so glad you got to show them to us.

Unfortunately, I don't throw anything away and I love those salad containers too.
    I use them for all sorts of craft items - even ribbons and bows .
    I love that you shared your idea of using them for the light strings - Great Idea!
    Thanks for sharing...
    Hang in there and remember - Keep Positive!
    jane

• nana2010_gw
    12 years ago

I'm sorry for the loss of your Dad.
    It is so hard to lose our parents.
    The Santa your friend made is wonderful. Your little basket is perfect for him.
    Great idea storing your lights in the salad containers.
    I hope everything goes well with your upcoming surgery.
    Nana

• party_music50
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks, everyone. Of course it's difficult to lose anyone, and if he had had a good doctor we know he would still be with us -- but that's another long sad story. Jeanne said it perfectly with "just one of the toughest sorrows in our life's journey". If we are lucky enough to survive we all go through it. I didn't want to sound 'down' but did at least want to explain why I haven't been around.

Re my surgery, I've found the head/neck surgeon who comes most highly recommended but I won't see him until March... he specializes in cancer surgeries and *knock wood* my biopsies didn't indicate that, so I go further down his list. The scary part is it's a 6" incision down the side of my face and neck and involves all my facial nerves. Any problems will leave me looking like a stroke victim and in any case I will bare the resulting scar. :(

But back to the Santa, yes, Punk, it was the project I posted about last spring and I had promised to show the finished project. My friend did all the color staining too... I may try to tone down the red/green with an overwash of my black walnut stain. Not sure yet.

Candy, re the handle, he explained that he could carve an open hand to set the basket in, or a closed hand leaving him to deal with the handle. He chose the latter and THEN consulted with me about how to attach it. lol! It is a fully wrapped handle so cutting it meant it would unravel -- I convinced him to 'fix' the center of the handle with some glue, then cut it and insert the ends into the hand openings. Apparently it worked just fine. :) He said he was going to carve miniature fruits to put into his Santa's basket!

Jane, I'm so glad to know I'm not the only one who doesn't toss anything! I love being able to re-purpose these containers and was amazed the lights fit so perfectly. Easy to stack and see what's in them, and free, so why not? :)

Again, thank you all for all the kind words and good wishes. I will try to catch up a bit as I can.

• jeannespines
    12 years ago

party...well, you solved the 'mystery' for all of us on the basket/hand question! What a process & tiny fruit may be good...but your basket looks great as is, too!

Your surgery sounds tough ...glad to hear you are comfortable w/finding a good surgeon...that will help you so much. And then hopefully the year will settle down for you! Keep us informed of your progress when you can ...hugs, Jeanne S.

• Purplemoon
    12 years ago

Party, I am so deeply sorry about your Dad. Hearing of your loss, and that a doctor was a problem, brings back memories of a year ago when one prescribed my Dad the wrong medicine and I too felt it was a reason we lost him
    8 wks later after a 2nd hospitalization. I can so empathize with you on this. I still get angry just thinking about that doc. To lose your Dad just before the Holidays makes it even worse. My heart just goes out to you and all you've gone thru. Wish I could give you a real hug and let you know how much I care.

The surgery does sound scary and I'll keep you in prayers. Its good to know the surgeon is highly recommended and hopefully that will help you a bit with the nerves. (I am going to join you in that, I need a large tumor removed off back of my neck in March and I'm petrified to say the least. Having to wait till I have Medicare is hard on the nerves, LOL. Like you, I will have a surgeon that inspires faith tho.)

Hang in there, and I'm so glad you were able to let us know what's been going on. And even share some wonderful photos of your wonderful Santa. I remember when you got him and made the tiny baskets.

hugs, Karen

• milosmom_gw
    12 years ago

Party :
    I'm so sorry to hear of your loss. It's awful enough but even worse when we feel that all that could have been done, wasn't :(. Prayers to you for healing and for your surgery as well.
    LOVE LOVE LOVE! your Santa and the little woven basket is divine. A perfect accompanying piece for Santa indeed.

• Marlene Kindred
    12 years ago

Party, I'm sorry I totally neglected to say that I will be praying for you and your upcoming surgery. Sounds like it will be quite involved and I am sure you are anxious about it. Will be lifting you up...let us know how you're doing.