Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
creekdweller_gw

Home Question

creekdweller
12 years ago

Do you intend to live in the house you are currently living in, or do you intend to retire and move or just move b/c you desire to?

I intend to live here forever, Lord Willing, who knows what might could happen. I think all of my family have remained in the same house their whole married lives.

Just a thought..How about you?

Creek

Comments (7)

• phonegirl
    12 years ago

I would be willing to move after we retire but DH would be very happy never moving again in his life time.LOL Not sure what time will bring for us. We own a cabin on the river that doesn't have electricity. DH would love to live there for the peace and quiet. I on the other hand have no desire to depend on generators for power.

DD would like us to buy a home in AZ for retirement. DH suffers from Rheumatoid Arthritis so this might be good for him. I'm still not sure that's what I'd like but it might be nice for the winters.

I know I don't want to live far from DGD. She's such a joy and I want to be a big part of her life growing up. She's only 6 so we have alot of years before she graduates. She has a play this coming week and I'm so excited to watch her perform.

BTW, our home is a Super Good Cents, so...well built but not fancy like yours.LOL

Punk

• plainjane425
    12 years ago

Ha! Good question..you see we retired and built this house in the country on 3 1/2 acres. We're here going on 6 yrs...
    I'm looking to sell this Summer, and move back! Yes, I know everyone thinks I'm nuts, because this is such a beautiful home.
    However, as I look towards the future..I want to be around people and places that are easy to get to.
    I lived in a home just like that, for 28 yrs..and leaving that home, was the worst thing I did.
    I'm going to take a severe beating selling, since the market is just awful. It definitely is a buyer's market now...if I didn't have a home to sell, I'd have so many choices! Also, we have a condo in FL that I can't sell and I've lost so much money on it..it's being rented, but it doesn't cover all the expenses.
    I wish I didn't feel this way about moving, but I'm definitely a 'city girl' and my goal is getting back there.

jane

• Purplemoon
    12 years ago

This house is definitely our 'retirement' home. We've only been in it 8 yrs this summer, but I knew soon as we bought it that our moving days were over. I love the house, the neighborhood, and its close to everything. When we first married, we lived in the country and I had horses and other animals. I loved that for many years, but as I got older, I found myself wanting to move closer to town.
    And now, its a necessity since I can drive far.

People here in Phoenix are very 'transient', most were not born here, and so many retire here from other states. I've been here 51 yrs, so feel like a native. LOL. During our 41 yrs of marriage, we've lived in 6 houses before this one but all in Phoenix area. This is the first one I felt was where I wanted to stay forever tho.

I've been lucky in that my family was here. The Air Force sent Dad here when I was 14, and we never left. So my 3 kids were born here, and my 8 grandkids. My daughter lives a mile from me, and Jason just half a mile! (My oldest son retired from Police Dept in July, and moved to Cody, WY. He wanted to go a place with real seasons and really hated the heat here.) The only other family I have left is an Aunt still in Alabama, where I was born.
    It makes me sad how many people in Phoenix have no real roots here, or seldom live in same home a long time like I remember my grandparents and aunts/uncles doing. I love the idea of being born in a small town (which I was) and staying put (which we didn't cause of the AF). Phoenix is way too big for me! But I'm here for life, LOL.

hugs, Karen

• jeannespines
    12 years ago

Things need re-modeled here ... our home is 40 yrs old now & we had it built...but I love it here...so I'm not going to answer your question yet cause we're in a dispute of whether to replace carpet w/carpet, tile or a faux wood floor! (don't know who's going to win!) LOL! & that means painting walls, removing woodwork ...things we will do ...but we WILL NOT lay whatever the new flooring will be! (can you tell I'm just getting over the 'ourselves' project of residing the house all summer! ;-0
    c\
    creek...your home is lovely! & punk, from what I've seen of yours, it's beautiful, too! & PM, I love all the room I see you decorate...& jane, I love, love your home...but I completely understand as I would have a very hard time moving to town (being the country here for about 43 yrs)! ;-) Jeanne S. I know we'll have to move when our health won't let us stay here...but hopefully not for a few yrs yet!

• xantippe
    12 years ago

What a fun question!

We sold our "starter" house last spring, and moved into what we are calling our "30 year house". I'm finding that it's a little scary being in a long-term house. When you're in a starter house, you know that every annoyance/imperfection isn't permanent. But when you move to your long-term house, you are stuck with the good and the bad for a long time!

That being said, I am so grateful to be here. It's amazing knowing that I can improve to my heart's content, since we aren't going anywhere for a long time.

• creekdweller
    Original Author
    12 years ago

It's a long story about our home. When I first got married we lived in my parental Grandparents OLD house next to Mama & Daddy. Then my Hubs got a job transfer to the capital city of our state. I adapted, but, I am a country girl. I managed apartments for the ten years we lived in the city. And lived on property and was on call 24/7. We had never owned a home and had planned later in years to move back to my home on some of my parents property, and build our dream home. We got a new management company and they gave me 30 days to move. Hubs wanted to know what I wanted to do. I told him I wanted to go home and be close to Mama & Daddy while we could enjoy being with them and them with us, until the time came for when we knew we would be the ones to take care of them.
    God Granted us to find this house, next to the creek, only 15 minutes away from Mama & Daddy. That was 17 years ago.
    Amazing how the Lord knows exactly how to make things work out just right. So, we packed, found this house and moved in the 30 days..Hubs had drawn our house plan, and when we walked into this house, it was so much like our plans, it was unreal..We said yes, on the first viewing. It was only 2 years old then. Yep, we need a total new makeover, but, don't see that happening anytime soon.
    So, here we are. We have taken care of and got to enjoy being with them for the past 17 years, and now that Mama is gone, Daddy is right where we really expected one or the other of them to be. Actually it gives me chills to think about it.

So, this is the first house we ever bought and we hope we will be here from now on but, who knows, we don't have anyone to take care of us in later years, so again, only The Lord knows!

Sorry for being so long, but, that is actually the short version.LOL

Creek

• Marlene Kindred
    12 years ago

I'm loving this thread...haven't been around much the last few days as my DH and I are doing some winter renovations ourselves. Mine is a similar story to some of yours. I live on the same property I was born and raised on. My Daddy passed away 9 years ago and my mom is in a nursing home now. We had to sell their house two years ago and we have an awful neighbor...but that's another, very long story. My brother lives on the other side of my parents' home. I have been in this town my entire life and have watched it grow into a suburb of Northern Virginia. We live in a "rural" setting, but we are only about 4 miles from town, so it's easy to get to places except for the ever growing traffic. I love it here...know every tree and rock on the place. It is our little "fortress" and we've worked our butts off here. We built our house 25 years ago after having lived in a mobile home on the property for 9 years. So, we are in the same boat as most of you. We are re-doing rooms one at a time. It's the master bath and kitchen this year. We do most of the work ourselves still, so this time, we're stripping wallpaper (even though I LOVE wallpaper) and are painting because we figure if we do ever move it will be easier to sell that way. We will move most likely only if our daughter moves to another town. No way am I going to be across country from my only kid!! So, that's our story. Love it here in Virginia though, so we probably wouldn't go far even if we did move...only to a smaller town.

Sponsored
Preferred General Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Fairfax County's Specialized, Comprehensive Renovations Firm
More Discussions