Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
twellman_gw

ISO-St.Patrick's Day crafts

twellman
22 years ago

Hi all,

I am looking for some ST.Patrick's Day crafts.I would like to have something to put on my front door.I have some different kinds of St.Patrick's Day fabric that I could use.I have seen painted terra cotta pots with the golden coins in them.I think I will do some of those.I don't paint too good so I will paint the terra cotta pot a light green.I bought a foam stamp that is a shamrock that I will stamp on in a darker green.I am going to fill it with the gold coins and put some shamrock picks in it.A little sign would be cute in it too.I need some more ideas though.

Thanks,

Tammy

Comments (14)

• evelyn_craftdiva
    22 years ago

Here is a site that has a wreath for the door.
    http://www.wrights.com/class/03_stpatday/stpatwreath/stpatwreath.htm

I also make the pot of gold out of little clay pots and
    attach the following poem which was written by Les:

A clever wee leprechaun
    Left you some treasure
    A golden pot filled with
    St. Paddy's Day pleasure!

Materials: 2" terra cotta pot(s)
    gold acrylic craft paint
    gold chenille stem
    gold wrapped candy coins or
    other treats
    Equipment: paint brush
    hot glue gun and glue sticks
    Instructions: 1.Paint the inside of the pot with gold paint. Let paint dry.
    2.Paint the outside of the pot with gold paint. Let paint dry.
    You can add some accents to the pot if you wish. For
    example, use green paint to paint small shamrocks around
    the rim of the pot.
    3.Fold the chenille stem in half and form it in a U shape to
    make a handle for the pot.
    4.Glue the ends of the handle to the inside of the pot.
    5.Fill the pot with gold candy coins or other goodies.

• twellman
    Original Author
    22 years ago

Evelyn,
    Thank you so much for the site that has the wreath.I will check it out.Thanks also for the instructions for how to make the pot of gold.I am going to make some of those for sure.
    Tammy

• jacksmum
    22 years ago

With the pot of gold I think a extra nice touch would be paint or color a rainbow on cardboard in an arch shape and stick it so it looks like the rainbow ends at the pot of gold. Sue :)

• twellman
    Original Author
    22 years ago

Sue,
    Thanks for the idea to add the rainbow to the pot of gold.I never even thought of that.I will add it to the pot of gold.I think it will look cute.
    Tammy

• Diane_from_VA
    22 years ago

i saw this in a magazine:

An Irish Rainbow of Blessings (this went w/ a Âstained glass angel that used these colors, but I definitely think you could do it w/ jelly beans/m&ms, etc)
    a. Red is for the love of those we hold dear, our kith & kin both far & near.
    b. Orange is for Irish with and mirthÂand the cleverest jokes oÂer all the earth
    c. Yellow is for joy in simple pleasures, the heartÂs delights, the spiritÂs treasures.
    d. Green stands for Erin, the shamrock Land, its customs and heritage, glorious & grand
    e. Blue is for loyalty to family & friends, and to the Lord, whose love never ends.
    f. VioletÂs for heroes throughout history, the noble patriots of our ancestry.
    (May this rainbow angel bless you with pride and gratitude that youÂre Irish inside!)

• twellman
    Original Author
    22 years ago

Diane,
    Thanks for the idea.I too think it could be done with jelly beans or M&Ms.I think I will try it with M&Ms since I already have some.Thanks again.
    Tammy

• jacksmum
    22 years ago

Found this idea and thought it was really sweet.

Here is a link that might be useful: magnet

• twellman
    Original Author
    22 years ago

Sue,
    Thanks for the site with the magnet idea.It is so cute.
    Tammy

• jacksmum
    22 years ago

Tammy I did a search for Irish blessings. If you want a sign for your pot of gold a blessing might be nice. Sue

Here is a link that might be useful: Irish blessings

• twellman
    Original Author
    22 years ago

Thanks again Sue for all your help.
    Tammy

• Vikki_W
    22 years ago

Tammy....I have posted my swinging leprechaun in the gallery.....here's the link......he hangs on my front door!

Here is a link that might be useful:

• twellman
    Original Author
    22 years ago

Thanks Vikki!He's a cutie.
    Tammy

• evelyn_craftdiva
    21 years ago

Vikki, with St. Patricks Day coming around again could you
    please repost a pic of your swinging leprechaun, would love
    to see it?TIA

• CandyinMD
    21 years ago

Hi Tammy,
    If you can bake a basic sugar cookie, a cute idea is a bag of Leprechaun Kisses. I used a sugar cookie recipe that asks you to form the dough into a small ball on your cookie sheet... and I made really small balls, about 1/2" in diameter and pressed a Hershey's COOKING Kiss (which is much smaller than silver foil covered Kisses)into the center of each ball, which flattens it a tad.Bake until they are barely bowning,or per your recipe, and remove to cooling rack. Put 6-8 in the St.Patrick's Day motif cupcake
    paper cups or just use white ones, and stack 6 cupcake cups full in a cellophane bag ($ Tree) with the shamrocks on it(I used a piece of thick white cardboard from new shirts, cut in the exact rectangular dimensions of the inside of the bag,and placed in the bottom of the bag, and between each layer of cookies, to give the cupcake cups of cookies more stability, and keep the bag upright. I punched 2 holes near the tops of the bag and threaded green and white curly ribbon thru the holes and added a decorated tag that had the Leprechaun Kisses poem on it!I'll try to find the site on the net for the poem,and e-mail it to you, and you can go directly there and print out the tags. I made these for my daycare moms and dads, too, and made teeny weeny cookies with a Nestles' semi-sweet morsel stuck in the top! They were the cutest...just a tad bigger than Goldfish. Oh, I sold the tagged and bagged ones for $4/bag to the Teamsters,in DC where my sister works... and I had so many requests for "normal sized cookies" that I made the standard size cookie with the regular Hershey's Kiss in the center and sold them as "Bunny Kisses for Easter !(2 Doz for $4! Enjoy !

Sponsored
Wannemacher Interiors
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Customized Award-Winning Interior Design Solutions in Columbus, OH
More Discussions