Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
phonegirl_gw

My Show & Tell

phonegirl
12 years ago

Jane, don't have a mantel but...I decorated this for all of you!

Came home to a nice surprise tonight. DH refinished the top of my old Singer Sewing cabinet we bought off Craigslist and had brought it in. I'm beginning to think he likes this type of work and I need to buy more to keep him happy!LOL The machine is beautiful and the lady said it works great. With the life I lead, I'll never know.ha

Also bought these two lamps off Craigslist for my other buffet. I've always like the corn silk shades. I may paint these lamps an off whte and antique them with walnut in time. Any thoughts on this?

I found these birch candle holders while shopping at the Salvation Army and had to have them..50 ea. Had planned on using them on one of my winter tables.

Hope you are all safe & warm. Storming here tonight and freezing cold.

Punk

Comments (9)

• nana2010_gw
    12 years ago

WOW Punk, your DH did a wonderful job!!
    I love old Singer sewing machine cabinets.
    I like the lamps and the corn silk lamp shades.
    They look nice as they are but they would look nice painted off white too...I'm no help.
    Nana

• plainjane425
    12 years ago

Punk, you might not have a mantel to show..but this is just as wonderful to look at!

Your DH did such a wonderful refinishing job on that sewing machine! All he had to do was the top?
    It's in such great shape.
    My DGM had one just like that.
    I like your buffet lamps and the shades are lovely.
    They'll look great on your buffet.
    Just a thought - if you paint them antique white...the shades might get lost - with the 'white on white' look.

• plainjane425
    12 years ago

Punk...forgot to mention those birch candle holders..
    I've seen them at PB and loved them...however they were too much $$. The price you paid them for was an 'Amazing Steal'!!
    On second thought with the lamps...if you antique them
    with enough contrast to the white shades...I think the color would work just fine. Either way...you have to
    show them off when they're set up on your buffet!

jane

• jeannespines
    12 years ago

Oh, punk, so happy to see this beautiful treadle 'Singer' sewing machine! It is LOVELY! Kudos to DH for the re-finish job! Wow, looks great!

Love your pretties & 'bling' you've added...those lamps are very pretty ...I don't know what they're called ....just 'tall & skinny' to me & 'corn silk shades' is a new term for me, too...they look so pretty! I'm sure changing the color w/white & antiqued walnut would be beautiful, too!

Great $$$ finds ...you're going to enjoy changing this pc out w/your decor & we'll get to reap the benefits, too! TFS! Lovely! Jeanne S.

• Purplemoon
    12 years ago

Punk, I can't add much to what the others said, other than I whole-heartedly agree with every word! That Singer is a fabulous find, and your DH did a beautiful job on it. I love how you decorated it. The lamps are just perfect there. I kind of like them the color they are as it sets off the shades. Plus that color picks up tones in the wood and your other decorations. But I'm sure they'd look wonderful painted too.

You don't need a mantel with something this lovely to decorate! (My grandmother had this sewing machine too, boy does it bring back memories!)
    hugs, Karen

• phonegirl
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Nana, I have another old singer sewing machine in cabinet that looks just like this one. Only difference is it only has drawers on one side. I'm straying away from gold more and more but the price on the lamps is what sold them.

Jane is your DGM old sewing machine still in the family? This was in nice shape except it had some ink on the top so DH sanded it down and restained it. There was alot of these candle holders when I bought mine. If I get back up there I will check it out and send some your way.

We lost our lg birch tree last winter and I had DH save some of the logs for me to craft with. I thought they would be fun to play with. Still out there waiting for me to do something with them.LOL

Jeanne, my plan was to use one of these two stands in each living room for a fun conversation piece. Yes, I have two. It was nice when the kids were home but now we don't use one most of the time. Only for lg gatherings.

I've wanted to change one to our office but we love one of us being able to watch TV and the other being on the computer in the same room. Fun to share some of the great emails that come in. We wouldn't have much communication if I changed that.LOL

Thanks so much for all your comments. Looks like I need to get in there and dust the insides of the stand! Pictures sure tell a true story.

Punk

• plainjane425
    12 years ago

Punk...You're so sweet and I really appreciate the offer to find some birch candleholders for me...but honestly, when you think about it - the postage alone will take away from the fabulous bargain price you got them for!
    We have lots of trees in the area that are down from our freaky October snowstorm... and now that I have a little time, I've been on the look out for some birch logs to 'play with' too !! lol
    I love that you're always quick to help others.
    Thanks again sweetie for your offer
    jane

• maximavswife
    12 years ago

The whole vignette is so lovely! Kudos to DH on the beautiful job he did with the sewing machine. I love the lamps! I know what you mean about the brass and gold but as they are now, they really show off those to.die.for. shades!
    Kath

• Marlene Kindred
    12 years ago

Wow...I love the whole thing! Your DH did a great job on the sewing machine cabinet. I have one just like it...doesn't look as pretty as yours though. Love your lamps too and all of your accessories!

Sponsored
More Discussions