Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sangaree

another simple decor idea

Purplemoon
12 years ago

Some of those clear thrift shop vases, sprayed white, and decorated for a holiday...

{{gwi:1402299}}

hugs, Karen

Comments (9)

• phonegirl
    12 years ago

Pretty cute idea you found Karen. Thanks

Punk

• jeannespines
    12 years ago

Looks in the 'elegant' class to me...very pretty! TFS! (& should be fairly simple to do) ;-)

• party_music50
    12 years ago

I like it! Clear vases sprayed white -- do you mean glass vases painted with regular spray paint?

• Purplemoon
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Yes, Party...regular spray paint works fine on glass. Either use matte type or if you want to use a semi gloss then spray the glass with clear matte sealer first is what I was told. I'd do the matte paint, then if I wanted a shiny finish, would use gloss sealer

I like how elegant a grouping of white things looks. No one would guess these are the cheap vases thrift shops are always loaded with. I also really like doing the "faux mercury glass" treatment to them too that I had in another post.

hugs, Karen

• plainjane425
    12 years ago

Karen what do you mean when you say spray the glass with a clear matte sealer first if you want to do a semi gloss spray? Is the clear matte sealer a paint or is it some sort of clear matte spray? I'm clueless. Also, if if you did a matte paint first on the glass, then a shiny finish afterwards...wouldn't it peel? Just wondering about the whole process.

Thanks,
    jane

• party_music50
    12 years ago

I'm glad you asked, Jane, because I don't know what 'clear matte sealer' is either. I've never heard of it. I would have assumed that painting glass is like painting plastic -- requiring a special primer and paint so that it would adhere and not peel.

Can I paint a ceramic vase??? My mother gave me a huge vase years ago -- but it's grey! yuk. I'd love to change the color of it and decorate it!

• Purplemoon
    Original Author
    12 years ago

The Kyrlon clear sealer comes in several types, tho I've always used the gloss or semi-gloss as the top coat for stuff I've painted. But I found out quite some time ago, the matte clear works to hold paint on glass, like these vases. This is only needed if the spray paint you want to use is gloss or semi gloss. Matte finish paint works fine without a sealer. (I just have never been a fan of matte paint, and most always use semi gloss myself.

Party, same with your ceramic vase. If its not glossy already, any spray paint will work fine. But if its glossy,
    it needs matte to adhere.

hugs, Karen

• plainjane425
    12 years ago

Thanks for the explanation on this Karen.
    Yrs ago, I painted over a ceramic piece, and it peeled.
    I thought it was because it was nonporous so I never tried again. I'm glad I read this
    because I have a ceramic lamp and a large ceramic rooster that I'd love to paint
    over. I'm looking forward to painting them now.

jane

• party_music50
    12 years ago

yes, thanks for the info Karen! I'll add it to my list and the next time I'm near a paint supplies store/section and think of it, that grey vase will be history. lol!