Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
christmascandy

CC's Christmas House outside

christmascandy
13 years ago

I hurried up and took these pictures before I took down the outside decor. I needed to get it down on Sat. before the polar express winter snowstorm arrived on Sun. I won't get on the roof unless it is dry and not knowing how long the snow is going to last, I figured I had better get it down before it was there until spring, LOL.

I decorated the large wreath on the upper window with clear lights, gold ornies, and garland, and the red bow. There are large c-9 bulbs all across the front of the house on the gutters. There are net lights on the small tree in front and the shrubs, and the reindeer also light up. I'll see if I have a night shot from last year. Didn't get one this year, : (

The garland across the front porch has colored lights and $ store snowflakes. There is a TS Santa peeper looking out the window.

The trees on the front porch light up as does all of the draped garland on the eaves and windows, except the piece directly below the upper arched window. I felt it would detract from the wreath.

The wooden snowmen greet visitors with the names of our grandkids.

My Dh's sole contribution to putting up the outside decor this year was to put the blow mold Santa on the mailbox.

He did help me somewhat on Sat. and put away the extension cords. I am the only one on the roof though, LOL.

A woman who lives in our subdivision drove by Sat. as I was taking down the decorations and told me how much she enjoyed our lights and decor, because it looks festive during the day as well as when it is lit up at night. It is nice to know the neighbors appreciate it as much as I enjoy it!

TTFN,

Candy

Comments (18)

• valleymagpie
    13 years ago

Candy,

What a pretty house you have, and you have decorated it so nicely. I think it just begs for the wreaths and greenery you have given it. I like the brick on the porch, and the snowmen. I'll bet it's pretty at night. Hope you can find a picture.

- Magpie

• tugsmomma
    13 years ago

Wow. I'd love to be able to drive by your home when it's lit at night. It's also very pretty in the day. Nice to be able to pull that off!!

• christmascandy
    Original Author
    13 years ago

The only one I could find, but the c-9's weren't working, so all that shows up are the mini lights. : (

Also, I have candoliers in each of the upstairs bedroom windows and those weren't lit up either!
    Anyway, you get an idea.

TTFN,
    Candy

• excessfroufrou
    13 years ago

CC, your home is lovely and of course decorated accordingly. You be careful getting on the roof, I don't do that anymore. I like the giant snowflakes on the porch. It looks as good at night as in the day.
    Frou

• jeannespines
    13 years ago

Very beautiful home, candy...& yes, I would expect your neighbors to love your decor, dearly! This is just done so tastefully! Love it! First pic, I wondered....where's your snow!!! (then I read on...LOL)

Your front door is really cute with the wooden snowmen & I love the topiaries on each side of the front door. All the lights & then those wreaths on the 2nd story look so festive! (Altho being on that roof would not be fun!)
    Glad you got everything down before the storm hit! TFS! Jeanne S.

• christmascandy
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks ladies.
    I did find a couple of pictures with snow from last year. We had snow after Christmas this year, but it melted just in time for me to get the decorations down, because the storm that hit on Sunday left about 6" and it has been getting below zero at night, so there is very little melting right now.

We had some amazing icicles last year!! We don't always get those, but these were spectacular!

I need to go put away some more decorations, LOL.
    It does take a few days, but I enjoy the whole decorating/undecorating process, although the un part is harder for me, as I hate to see everything go away. : (

TTFN,
    Candy

• Marlene Kindred
    13 years ago

Beautiful home and decorations!

• lynnencfan
    13 years ago

Candy - your home is beautiful - I love the lines of it and it does scream for outdoor decorations and you have done a fantastic job. You gave it just the right amount of glitz and glitter - well done!!!!! .....

Lynne

• phonegirl
    13 years ago

Candy. your decorations outside are wonderful. Thanks for sharing a picture with the lights on. Did you paint all those darling snowmen? Love all of them.

I'm so glad a neighbor stopped to let you know she enjoys your lights and decor. Bet she has no idea what the inside looks like and would want to come visit every year if she ever seen it. I would love to be your neighbor and come home to that light show every night after work.

Punk

• plainjane425
    13 years ago

Beautiful Candy...all your decorations are done so tastefully. I love all the wreaths and the snowflakes added to your garland.
    Glad you had a chance to get your pictures done.
    I was laughing about you taking pictures before the snow..then saw your after...
    We've had snow here since the day after Christmas. With each storm we have, another comes thru. Today bringing
    27" and another big one to follow, this weeked. I've had decorations blown to who knows where, and the
    live tree on oue front porch has been blown down several times..DH had it 'wired' to the porch posts to prevent that from happening..but the winds have been so strong..it's been hopeless. Spring can't come too soon for me!!!

jane

• christmascandy
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Marlene, Lynne, and Punk, Thank you for the sweet comments.

A couple of years ago our doorbell rang, and it was a family that did not live in our neighborhood, but told us every year they go out on one night to look at lights and then the family votes for the house they liked the best. They chose our house for their award that year and gave us a plate of homemade cookies!!

We also have some college age young people who come and carol every year. They live in a different neighborhood, but they like our house so they come back and we invite them in for a few goodies before they go.

I actually make wassail (as in the song "Here We Come A'wassailing") for our annual Open House and family get togethers, but the carolers usually choose the cookies.

TTFN,
    Candy

• luvstocraft
    13 years ago

Candy, what a lovely big home you have! Do not envy you crawling around on that roof though! Scary! Your decorations look so nice on it, especially all the garland and the big DS snowflakes. Those big snowmen sure caught my eye. Did you make those? They are really neat. TFS.

Luvs

• Purplemoon
    13 years ago

You have a beautiful home, Candy. BIG, but then it has to hold all your Christmas decor! ;o)
    I can just see you up on the roof decorating (gulping! I'm scared of heights).
    Your DH is about as helpful as mine it seems. LOL.

Those wood Snowmen are the cutest things, and I'm betting you made them yourself. Your neighbors are lucky to have your decorating to enjoy.
    hugs, Karen

• christmascandy
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Hi Ladies,
    As much as I would like to take credit for the snowmen, I did not make them.
    The ones on each end came from a craft fair many years ago, and I did not realize how much they had yellowed until I found the middle one at Ross this year (on clearance before Christmas!) and when I put him in place, the others don't look very white!! I may have to give them a new coat of paint.

Thanks for looking (OA, I wrote it out for you, LOL)

TTFN,
    Candy

• nana2010_gw
    13 years ago

Candy, you have a lovely home and it's decorated beautifully!! How wonderful that people stop by to compliment you. You are much braver than I am to be climbing that ladder! (((shiver n shake)))
    NanaKaren

• christmascandy
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Nana, I cheat and crawl out the bedroom window to get on the roof. I only need the tall ladder to put the c-9's on the gutters. I'm totally bummed that I didn't take a night shot this year as the big c-9 lights were working and I used clips to put them up so they were much straighter than in the past.
    We were gone so much, I didn't realize I hadn't taken a picture at night until it was too late. : (
    Oh well, maybe this year! I ony have to wait 10 1/2 more months, LOL
    TTFN,
    Candy

• maximavswife
    13 years ago

Candy,
    The outside of your home is just as lovely as the inside! DH also cheats and goes out the bedroom window to clean gutters and put up the Christmas lights. I'd rather him do that than use a ladder :) Ladders scare the beejeezus out of me. I can barely use the 2 step ladder inside the house without shaking like a leaf! So, I give you many kudos for your bravery my friend!
    Kath

• pdg777
    13 years ago

Christmas Candy,

I'm late to the party, but just wanted to tell you how much I enjoyed pics of your home. I"m going through the undecorating blues today, so I decided to come here in cheer up by looking at holiday pics that I missed.

Thanks!

Sponsored
More Discussions