plainjane425

DH - Christmas Village #2 (pic heavy)

plainjane425
12 years ago

I know we're all looking forward to Valentine's Day -

so I'm hoping you can stand to look at some more of

DH's Christmas Village -

But before I show those pictures, I have to show you

our DGson's wood carved bird. This was his first attempt at wood carving, and I thought he did pretty good. He mounted it on a small log, and I added the greenery. I keep in on my window sill and it makes me smile everytime I see it!

Another addition to the village this year was this Dock.

Our Grson wanted to add this for 'a change'. I think they did a pretty good job on building it - even creating the water!! We were all at GW (yes I dragged DH & Gdson)

right before Thanksgiving, and we spotted two fishing village buildings and a lighthouse with a tower that lights up - all perfect for a little dock scene and it took off from there!

They built the little dock - even the little boat and if you look close enough - our Grdson made a little shark fin to put in the water. The younger kids enjoyed seeing that!

and last but not least - I never posted these pictures of my outdoor porch hutch -

Some inspiration from Jeanne...

We usually store all the porch funiture away for the winter...but I left this piece out. I love seeing it - I think it adds such interest to the porch for the Winter - especially after the porch Christmas tree is taken down and everything looks so bare.

As I said earlier - I hope you didn't mind seeing such late Christmas pics...and thanks for looking.

jane

Comments (13)

• phonegirl
    12 years ago

Jane, your village is stunning!!! The two new fishing village buildings and the lighthouse was such a great find. The dock w/boat and DGS's fin is so pretty and adds alot to this. Sure enjoyed seeing all the details in the village. The figurines, autos and Christmas lights on the fence.Wow Everything lit up is outstanding.

Enjoyed DGD's first carving of his little bird. I'd like to try carving some day. Neatly display on the log w/berries and pines. Tell him he did GOOD and keep it up.

Your outside hutch looks great. Bet is makes you smile every time you see it. You put alot into your decor this year and it all is so pretty.

Glad you finally have time to share with us.

Punk

• Purplemoon
    12 years ago

OMG, I think I want to adopt your GS! He's won my heart!
    LOL. Not only helping with the Village (including a shark fin..now how cool is that!!), but the bird carving! Hard to believe that is his FIRST time. Its wonderful. Really, really wonderful.

The dock makes that whole setting extra special. Very creative and well done. I'd be happy with just that scene, tho the rest of the Village blows my mind. I'm not sure I'd be able to take it down and put it away. LOL.

Villages are my favorite thing in decor, at least to see.
    I've never attempted a special set-up with the cats, tho only Jazz would be an issue I imagine. (Lynne's "village cat" is pretty cool IN her's. LOL.) Your guys make me want to dump ALL my Christmas stuff and just have a real Village set-up. Send them here next Christmas, please!! ;o)

Your hutch looks great, I'm so glad Jeanne inspired you to keep it there and decorated. They seem such fun to decorate and always look so nice, inside or out.

hugs, Karen

• nana2010_gw
    12 years ago

Oh my gosh Jane, Your grandson is so talented. The bird he carved is so cool!
    I can't think of enough adjectives. All I can say is that the village is FANTASTIC !!! They did a wonderful job building the port. I think we should all get on the bus and visit there.
    Of course I would stay....It is such a charming little village!
    I love the way you decorated your Hutch for winter, it is perfect.
    Thanks for sharing these wonderful pictures.
    Nana

• plainjane425
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thank you Punk/Karen & Nana...
    It was nice reading all your sweet comments - espec on my Grandson. DH was quite surprised over my Gdson's first carving too. I don't want to brag (lol) but he is very multi talented in the Arts and has won many awards since he was very young. We ALL tell him to enjoy that talent for personal satisfaction - however, NOT to go into that field to make a living. - This comes from many in our family who are in that field - you know the term 'starving artists' !! lol
    He excells in math & science so we hope he'll do something in that area.
    DH was just so happy that Chris took an interest in helping and tha t he talks about having DH's Village one day for his children to enjoy. This gives DH such joy knowing that the tradition will continue.

Thanks again for all your wonderful comments. I surely will pass them on to 'the boys' !!

jane

• kathleen_li
    12 years ago

Jane, the attention to detail is just amazing. I would hate to put that away!

• plainjane425
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks Kathleen...
    DH started taking the village down yesterday.
    I'm the one who decorates the whole house for Christmas, but he does the village.
    Honestly, I'd rather put away all the house decorations rather than the Christmas Village.
    I wouldn't have the patience to set up and then take down all those tiny accessories
    and put them away neatly and organized for next year!
    jane

• jeannespines
    12 years ago

Oh, the hours that must take to pack & unpack! Worth every minute, I bet, when it all set up & you see it lit! Wow, jane! Only guys w/ an 'art' soul would take this on! So great that they enjoy doing this tog! The 'dock' ...so cool...& glad you pointed out that 'fin'...looks so real tucked in among the snow! And the village tree! Beautiful! Kudos to DH & DGS!

Are you sure this isn't from some Norman Rockwell painting! Beautiful! Would loved to have seen it all lit up at night! Surreal!

I can see how that carved bird would definitely put a smile on your face! (very cool!) & your porch hutch looks nice & Wintery...cozy, comfy warm! Love it! Oh my, we could have such a good time thrift shopping tog! TFS! ;-) Jeanne S.

• luvstocraft
    12 years ago

Ahh, more pics of that wonderful little town. Amazing job on the dock and water, love that DGS added a fin! LOL The time spent with his grandfather will be special memories for him and it's good that he would like to someday share doing this with his own children. I just don't know how they can put it together so perfectly each year!

Your hutch looks great, the greenery and pinecones really give it life. Do you gals do anything special to your wooden pieces that are out in the damp weather?

Luvs

• jeannespines
    12 years ago

luvs...my porch is enclosed ...3 season, they call it, I guess...so I don't do anything special...most everything out there is wood & has been painted.

jane...I also like your container of pinery/cones & also the jar next to it w/candlelight! TFS! Jeanne S.

• party_music50
    12 years ago

The carved bird is GORGEOUS! and perfect on the log with the greenery. I'd keep that up year round! :)

The village setup is beautiful -- but, like you, I wouldn't want to fuss with it all. I had a friend who loved the village setups and he kept buying me the houses and people, but I'm not into that. Luckily I learned that a new co-worker loves and does village setups so I just gave him everything I had and he was THRILLED. Now we're both happy. lol!

• plainjane425
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thank you again ladies...

Jeanne...A Norman Rockwell for sure and it IS something to see when the lights are on at night. I also mentioned it's nice to listen to as well. There's music and special sounds that make it come to life!

Luvs..DH & my DGson seem to share the same 'attention to detail' attitude! They both enjoy detailed projects that I know I don't have the patience for.
    As far as the hutch on the porch, this is the first Winter I'm leaving it there. So far it seems to be sheltered from wind and rain and even the snow we had in Oct. If I see the weather effecting it, I'm going to cover it up.
    I know Jeanne's is protected with an inside porch..and can keep so many more great things on it during the Winter.

PM...thank you - DH's village all started as a gift of two buildings from someone years ago - Knowing he loves detailed hobbies...that's all he needed to get him going.
    As it is now, not all the buildings and accessories our out because of space issues. I did mention in my other post that it's all put away now - he's very organized, and it went very quickly! I know I couldn't do it as fast or as organized!

jane

• lynnencfan
    12 years ago

Jane - I loved every minute spent looking at both threads you have on the village. It brings back so many many memories of years and years of Christmases past. I married a train collector and at that time (1965) the village consisted of Plasticville. It evolved over the years into a massive display that was the hit of the neighborhood children and took over our entire living room and dining room that involved 7 running trains and houses of every shape and size. After my husband passed away the trains got retired (now my son sets some of them up in his home) and I just concentrated on the village on a much smaller scale.

I can really appreciate the attention to detail, hours of work and pure joy of sitting back and just loosing yourself in the scenes. Thanks for sharing and bringing back so many pleasant memories .....

Lynne

• plainjane425
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Lynne...thank you for such lovely comments.

I was so nice reading that DH's village brought back
    happy memories for you. Having a train layout the size you mentioned I'm sure was not work, but a labor of love and quite a site to see. -
    A friend's husband use to have a large train layout inside and outside of the house. The one outside was a very large scale - the kind you ride on -which was also a hit with all the neighboorhood kids. When he passed on, there wasn't anyone in the family who had an interest in it. Sadly she sold evertything, so it's nice that your Son has the trains now and continues the tradition.

jane

Sponsored
More Discussions