Return to the Cars Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
It can't be this hard! (Honda Wiper Blades)

Posted by jxbrown (My Page) on
Sat, Dec 29, 07 at 23:37

The instructions on the package say "Remove old wiper blades" and that's where I get hung up. The car is a 2000 Honda Accord. Where am I supposed to be squeezing, prying, or unscrewing the old blades?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: It can't be this hard! (Honda Wiper Blades)

Unfortunatley, wiper blade design is not standardized. There seems to a different fastening method for each manufacturer of blades.

I'm not familar with the Honda original blades, so I'll give some general clues that I've found on my cars.

If you have the usual 2-blade for the windshield, go to the passenger side and examine that wiper arm and blade. (That blade, when in the parked position, is nearer the edge of the car and easier to see.) Look at where the wiper blade assembly attaches to the wiper arm.

(If you have a sport UTE, go look at the rear wiper arm. Its probably of the same design and is much easier to examine.)

Does the end of the wiper arm end in a "U" shape commonly called the "J" type. If so, look for a small release button or protrusion. Push this down and push the wiper blade toward the shaft end of the wiper arm. The wiper blade assembly should slide from the end of the J shape. Then its's a matter of raising the wiper arm away from the windshield and fiddling with the blade until you find how it comes off. You may end up rotating the blade nearly upsidedown to get room to slide the j-hook out of the slot.

Another type of wiper arm ends with a straight end with a hole in its end. The blade assembly stays on the arm by a pin or protrusion in this hole. This type releases by pushing down on a spring clip to push the protrusion out of the hole and then slide the assembly off the arm. A varation on this type has a small lever on the side of the blade assembly. Press this down to release. Another style has a small opening in the side of the blades assembly for insertion of a small tool like a screwdriver blade. The object of all of these is to push the spring loaded pin or protrusion out of the hole so the blade assembly can slide off.

If the blade package is clear plastic, look to see if there is a folded instruction sheet inside. If you are sure that you have the correct replacement blade, open the package and retrieve the instruction sheet. It may illustrate your type of assembly.

Wiper blades are available in two levels: one is the bare wiper blade itself, and the second is the complete assembly of the wiper blade plus its holder. Its best to purchase the entire assembly because of the many variations in design and the difficulty of putting a plain blade into the holder. Some designs require bending metal while others are not expected to be refilled.

o

If you bought it at a auto parts store, many will install it for you if you ask. Watch them do it, so you know how to do it next time. When I first started replacing blades, I got confused until I did it a couple of times, now they're literally "a snap".

o

This link might help...
http://www.tricoproducts.com/installation/

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cars Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here