Return to the Cars Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Auto doorlocks won't work when cold

Posted by chunkynickschunkymom (My Page) on
Tue, Dec 6, 05 at 19:39

outside. I have replaced the battery in the key. Car in Land Rover Discovery 2000 and this happened lat year when it was really cold, too. I would love to have some idea what this might be before going to the dealership. Feel like I get reemed there everytime. Thanks for any advice

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Auto doorlocks won't work when cold

Stand next to your vehicle (so that you can listen and maybe observe some of the inside lock buttons) and try the unlock function on your key fob. If you hear the familiar "clunk" sound, then the unlock system is trying to operate the lock/unlock motor/solenoids.

In this case, the problem is sticky, stubborn door lock system. Most likely, it is the the motor/solenoid. It could be a frozen door lock, but the motor/solenoid units are highly suspect. Remove the inside door upholstry panels to gain access and remedy the sticking condition. It could be interference, gunk on the parts, need for re-lubrication with a cold weather lubricant, or frozen moisture in the motor/solenoids.

If any of the thin elastoner boots on the 'solenoids' are leaking, replace the solenoids hopefully with improved units.

If any solenoids are completely inoperable, then check to see if these are receiving voltage on the lock/unlock command. If the voltage is present, then replace. If the voltage is not present, then trace the circuit to find where the inturruption exists and repair. [In some cases, you may find that the solenoid system is switching the ground connection of the solenoids instead of the hot lead. This changes the logic to be used for circuit traces.] A repair manual with circuit diagrams is needed for circuit traces.

It takes only one drop of moisture frozen on the plunger of a motor/solenoid unit to stall it. That's why the boot is there. It's suppposed to keep moisture and dirt from getting inside the unit.

Sometimes, the boot on a motor/solenoid gets accidently torn when other service is performed inside the door, and goes unnoticed. These boots are very thin and fragile to remain flexible in cold temperatures.

o

JemDandy wrote :
[In some cases, you may find that the solenoid system is switching the ground connection of the solenoids instead of the hot lead. This changes the logic to be used for circuit traces.]

This I do not even pretend to comprehend ..I'd guess that this solenoid must run either forward or backward..

o

Earthworm:

"This I do not even pretend to comprehend ..I'd guess that this solenoid must run either forward or backward.."

Yes, these units do run forward or backwards, just like a drive for the window regulator. These may appear like a selenoid, but take one apart and you'll find a little motor inside driving a rack and pinion gear. The motor is reversed by reversing the applied voltage.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cars Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here