Return to the Cars Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Tire Chains

Posted by annz (My Page) on
Sun, Dec 21, 08 at 19:30

Does anyone here have a brand of tire chains they would recommend?

The vehicle is a 2004 sedan and I'm willing to pay more in order to get a set that is easy to put on.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Tire Chains

Check your owners manual first. Because of systems like Anti Lock brakes, Tire Pressure Monitoring, and Traction Control, the use of chains could cause unwanted results, and may not be advisable. Your best bet today is a multi-cell snow tire, and you should consider four of them to ensure proper handling.

BTW few chains that are "easy" to install are worth the expense. If you must run chains, you need to expect to put in some effort to install them correctly and safely. You also must be ready to repair a chain should one break before it damages expensive components in the wheel well. (ABS sensors, wiring harness for one)

o

Thanks john. We don't get storms like this very often (Portland, Or area) but I thought I'd buy some just in case of an emergency.

It's been years since we used chains on skiing trips but I remember there was a difference in types and ease of putting them on. I should have worded my question differently since I realize install of chains is not easy.........but some can be installed faster than others.

All points well taken. I will check the manual and also talk to the dealer before any purchase.
Thanks again!

o

Many of todays sedans do not have adequate clearance beween the wheels and wheel wells to accept chains. Clearances are less than it was for cars of long ago. The front wheels present more problems. Check for clearance with the front wheels turned from extreme left to right. Since part of the wheel turns out beyond the bodywork, you must also check for clearance between the top of the front wheel and the wheel cut-out when the suspension is compressed.

Many years ago, I lived on a mud/gravel road and put chains only on the rear wheels because those were the driving wheels. All cars except speciality cars had rear wheel drive. However, chains on all fours were needed after an ice storm. Nowadays, front wheel drive is the norm, and those wheels would get the first pair of chains. Check your car for this and check what the manufacturer recommends for chains.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cars Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here