Return to the Cars Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
animals under the hood

Posted by bmmalone (My Page) on
Tue, Dec 11, 12 at 17:45

For the second year running, some animal is getting under the hood of my cars and leaving the remains of acorns. Yes, I know it sounds funny, but last year it cost me $$ to have some wires replaced where the animal had eaten the plastic coating. Any ideas on how to stop this animal from setting up home for the winter under the hood of my car? FYI I live in Atlanta - and winters are not that cold here!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: animals under the hood

The usual animal eating nuts under the hood of a car is a squirrel. Squirrels are associated with acorns. Their digestive system is adapted to handling the toxin in fresh acorns whereas humans and several other animals can not. The toxin must be leached out for human comsumption.

Other animals eating nuts other than acorns under the hood are mice and chipmunks. Mice have been known to build nests in the air cleaner and stuff it full of seeds.

This problem has come up on this forum several years ago. Search the archives of this forum to see if any solutions were found. I don't recall specifically what has been tried or the results.

You could try a bag of moth balls or other animal deterrent.

Occassionaly, I have found the remains of black walnuts on the engine of my Jeep, but thankfully so far, no damage.

o
RE: animals under the hood

I googled > how to stop squirrels from getting under my car hood < and got about 657,000 results in 0.36 seconds.. Anyways lotsa hits the 1st was from this forum dtd 12-02-08 titled > *&%$#! Squirrels Under the Hood of My Car <

This post was edited by mxyplx on Thu, Dec 20, 12 at 11:46

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cars Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here