Return to the Cars Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Too soon to replace tires?

Posted by jerry_nj (My Page) on
Sat, Dec 19, 09 at 16:41

My 2004 Subaru Forester 215/60 16 94H (T rating seems a good choice for replacing all 4 at once) has its original Yokohoma (sp?) tires on it. Miles on the tires about 40,000. The tread is "ok", more than the 3/32" and appear "even" looking across the tread. I'd guess the tires are good for 50,000 miles total. One has a slow leak I've been living with (pump it up ever two or three days from 20 psi back to 30 psi).

We're getting ready to drive the car from NJ to Florida and back in a few weeks and I need as a minimum to get the slow leak fixed. That round trip and local driving will be about 3,000 miles.

But, I'm thinking the tires are 5 years old, and at least 80% worn out, why not just replace the set before the trip?

My Subaru dealer has offered a set of Pirelli tires with a "T" speed rating (again, H came on the car, but I understand the "lesser speed" T will have better ride and tread life) for $443 complete (tax and all)... which sounds pretty good. I don't know what model the tire is, but it has to be the "regular" street tire - an all weather tread, I'll check, don't remember what was said on the telephone.

My reason for posting: If I replace the tires for the above reason am I being foolish, or wasteful given the description I provide on the existing tires? I know I'd feel better going down the highway for 12 hours a day with new tires on the car.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Too soon to replace tires?

"I know I'd feel better going down the highway for 12 hours a day with new tires on the car."

Your not buying a set of tires, you are buying security and safety for you and your family.

Enjoy the trip!

o

*My reason for posting: If I replace the tires for the above reason am I being foolish, or wasteful given the description I provide on the existing tires? I know I'd feel better going down the highway for 12 hours a day with new tires on the car.*

It's never foolish to be safe. There's really no such thing as 'too soon to replace tires'. There is such a thing as too late. Though imo your tires sound like they'd go a while, you've got enough use out of them to not feel like you're wasting money replacing them. Put your mind at ease, be safe, and spring for the new tires. jmo

o

10-4 on John G.

Put new tires on. As a trucker I'll tell you your life is riding on those tires. A friend I worked with complained to the company about the front tires on the rig he drove. Tread was below 3/32nd inch. As usuall they said, "Run em today and we'll fix em tonite."

He's dead.

o

You have to get the slow leak fixed anyway. Most likely, there is something in the tire and if you have been putting a lot miles on it, the repair may not be as effective as it could have been.

At 40,000 miles, you are not wasting much - go ahead and put on a new set.

By the way, I presume that you have been follwing the snow storm report. There is at least a foot of snow everywhere from NJ through North Carolina. You're gonna need all snow traction you can get, and wet pavement grip. AWD is going to be handy!

o

Thanks, I get a set of Pirelli P4 All Season tomorrow, and from the Subaru dealer. I was surprised his prices are competitive... and I'm sure he has the expertise to catch any "items" on the Forester that may be getting weak... i.e., they are experts on the car too.

We got about a foot of snow, I had to plow the drive before we could get out - still it is nice having the Forester AWD. And, I purchased a 2009 Suzuki SX4 a couple of months back. It has switchable FWD, AWD and Locked (more like 4WD) for speeds below 36 mph. With all that traction I also note my Chevy pick-up with an auto locking differential worked when I took the trash to the street Sunday night. I had a little trouble getting the Chevy up the hill part of the drive, but it made it. The SX4 and Forester go up without a pause... old tire and new.

o

Worn tires, existing slow leak, live in NJ, winter weather coming, long family trip coming up, why even ask. Safety and peace of mind should come first.

o

we have a 2000 caravan. 50k miles. original michelin tires. tread is low. we put on new michelin X tires. 80k warranty. might last as long as last tires? short trips. around town. no highway use at all.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cars Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here