SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jerry_nj

Too soon to replace tires?

jerry_nj
14 years ago

My 2004 Subaru Forester 215/60 16 94H (T rating seems a good choice for replacing all 4 at once) has its original Yokohoma (sp?) tires on it. Miles on the tires about 40,000. The tread is "ok", more than the 3/32" and appear "even" looking across the tread. I'd guess the tires are good for 50,000 miles total. One has a slow leak I've been living with (pump it up ever two or three days from 20 psi back to 30 psi).

We're getting ready to drive the car from NJ to Florida and back in a few weeks and I need as a minimum to get the slow leak fixed. That round trip and local driving will be about 3,000 miles.

But, I'm thinking the tires are 5 years old, and at least 80% worn out, why not just replace the set before the trip?

My Subaru dealer has offered a set of Pirelli tires with a "T" speed rating (again, H came on the car, but I understand the "lesser speed" T will have better ride and tread life) for $443 complete (tax and all)... which sounds pretty good. I don't know what model the tire is, but it has to be the "regular" street tire - an all weather tread, I'll check, don't remember what was said on the telephone.

My reason for posting: If I replace the tires for the above reason am I being foolish, or wasteful given the description I provide on the existing tires? I know I'd feel better going down the highway for 12 hours a day with new tires on the car.

Comments (7)

Sponsored