Return to the Cars Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
98 Golf Clutch Wear/Free Play ?

Posted by andyf (My Page) on
Thu, Dec 14, 06 at 16:08

I'm looking at a 98 Golf with 68K miles. The clutch starts to grab way up on the pedal. There's no slipping and it grabs OK. Free play before engaging is normal about 1/2 to 1 in, can't remember, but there definitely is some.

Is there a way to adjust this as I assume it needs it? If it's hydraulic, can I adjust the push rod somehow?

Andy

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: 98 Golf Clutch Wear/Free Play ?

That Golf does have a hydraulic clutch. The free play you mention sounds about right. Does the clutch grab at the same spot in different gears? 68K is a little early for a VW clutch to die, IME, but if the car was driven a lot in the city or was a "learner" for someone, it might be necessary to adjust or replace it. I'm sorry I can't help you with that, though.

o

Is there a way to adjust this as I assume it needs it?

You can adjust the play of the clutch pedal by adjusting the adjusting nut on the pedal (see a workshop manual).

If it's hydraulic, can I adjust the push rod somehow?

No. It wouldn't be safe even if you could.

Generally though the amount of play is determined by how the clutch plate is affixed, so you just have to live with it.
A lot of newer cars seem to have little clutch range - perhaps this is some sort of emission control thing ?

o

Hi, I just replaced my transmission on a 98 golf. The clutch was fine. Friction point is now very high and the engine does not stall. Can I re adjust my clutch cable even though it's a self adjust?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cars Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here