• bill_h
    18 years ago

its broke.

• gooseberry_guy
    18 years ago

It's not American made.

• earthworm
    18 years ago

Good luck on finding the necessary repair kit.

• mikie_gw
    18 years ago

There's a real old Craftsman here that works perfect until you're under a car & then it immeadiatly starts to leak down in little jerks. I think that's a marketing ploy to sell more concrete blocks.

• earthworm
    18 years ago

Are there repair kits available for the Craftsman (made in the USA) jack ? These are not that hard to "rebuild". But, as I recall, its expensive....

• gooseberry_guy
    18 years ago

I've got 3 or 4 of those Chinese bottle jacks. They are fine if you don't mind using junk. They work OK for a little while, but when I really need the things to do some lifting, they will either: leak, not pump up properly if at all, or leak down and let the load slowly lower. For what I've spent for these jacks, I could have bought one American made one that was dependable. Of course, if you need a jack in an emergency, you just buy what's available.

I found some American made Hein-Werner/Lincoln, 5 ton bottle jacks at a surplus tool shop a few years ago for about 20 bucks. I bought two, and I wish I would have bought a few more just to have on hand. They've been working great, and never disappointed me. Plus, repair parts are available if I ever need them.

I'm not sure what brands are available out there now for anything that isn't throwaway Chinese. You just have to look.

Here's a link to a Hein-Werner 2 ton floor jack. Advertised as American made, and less than 300 bucks.

GG

Here is a link that might be useful: floor jack

• mxyplx
    18 years ago

Its got air in it. You have to bleed it out. Open the release valve and pump the handle 7 thousand times. Close the valve. Try the jack. Repeat till it works or you are convinced the jack is belly up.

Sponsored
Rodriguez Construction Company
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Industry Leading Home Builders in Franklin County, OH