Return to the Cars Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
switch removal

Posted by tomcat_prowler (My Page) on
Wed, Dec 21, 05 at 15:50

How do you remove the turn signal,wiper switch from a 1987 chevy pickup?I thought it just pushed in and turned to pull it out of the steering column.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: switch removal

Nope: You have to remove the steering wheel to get into the steering column and go from there.

o

Are you sure?Cause someone stole mine and I got a parts truck I can take another out of. There is no wires to it.It inserts into the plastic switch. I am talking about the lever that has the wipers and high beems when you pull back on it.They didn't take my steering wheel off to take it.

o

The lever can be removed as you say, but not the switch. I believe you twist the lever about 1/4 turn counter clockwise then pull it out. If it has wires attached, they are for cruise control if the vehicle is so equiped.

If you really need to remove either the turn signal or wiper switch...two different things operated from the same lever, you have to remove the steering wheel.

What are we trying to do? Sounds like you just want to install the lever.

o

To replace the wiper switch (not just the lever) on that year GM you have to remove the steering wheel, lock plate and turn signal switch. If you have the right tools, its about an hours job.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cars Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here