Return to the Cars Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
clock stays on in fiero after motor off!

Posted by vacuumfreak (My Page) on
Mon, Dec 18, 06 at 13:20

Hello! I have a Pontiac Fiero... I think it's from 87. The clock on the radio stays on after the car is off and I am worried about it draning the battery. Can anyone tell me what could cause this, or how to fix it? Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: clock stays on in fiero after motor off!

I haven't worked on one of these in years so refresh my memory. Does the clock have an LED or LCD display? If it's LCD, there would be very little (ie. normal < 50mA ) total parasitic draw. The LED clocks draw considerably more and normally do not stay on with key in the off position. Is it the original radio or an aftermarket system?

o

It is green, so I am assuming LCD... and it is the stock radio. Just the clock stays on after the engine is off, and key is out and doors are closed... I don't understand!

o

Those radios have 2 leads (each with its own fuse): one for playing, tuther for maintaining the memory ie stored stations includng the clock. Unless your battery is belly up it won't affect it aytall and probly not even then. You may disconnect it but that will lose the time and the stored stations - a pain - and a driving distraction.

o

MXYPLX is right. It's designed that way and you ain't
fixing it unless your disconnect the red wire. Leave it
alone.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cars Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here