Return to the Cars Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Does Anyone Know Where....

Posted by bulldinkie (My Page) on
Fri, Dec 2, 05 at 12:16

In South central Pa does one take old antifreeze Is there someone that would take it?
He has about 15 gallons to dispose of.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Does Anyone Know Where....

Almost any recycling center can handle it.

At the same time, most local shops and even parts stores have ways of handling coolant for recycling. Just call them. Most will take it for a small fee (It costs them to have the recycling company to come and get it)

o

Call your village or town hall. Some communities offer oil and antifreeze collection tanks.

o

Autozone will not accept old anti-freeze and if a man is foolish enough to mix the old fluids, this will not be accepted either..They use a device to sense the anti-freeze...Now I have a friend of a friend who uses the old oil to heat his garage.
Hopefully the spent antifreeze can be re-refined.

o

Check with your local city and county government. They have an interest in how these materials are handled, and thus should be able to help.

o

I was told it can be dumped down city sewer. Do NOT dump it in a septic tank or storm sewer.

o

Do not dump antifreeze, or any other stuff with unknown effect, into a sanitation sewer without first checking with the sanitation department about its acceptability.

Antifreeze may foul a treatment plant by killing the digester microbes. The same goes for spent photo processing chemicals.

o

In South central Pa does one take old antifreeze Is there someone that would take it?
He has about 15 gallons to dispose of.

~~~~~ ~~~~ ~~~~~~~

Posted by: earthworm
Autozone will not accept old anti-freeze and if a man is foolish enough to mix the old fluids, this will not be accepted either.

~~~~ ~~~~ ~~~~

I don't understand your reply, Earthworm. I didn't see anything regarding Autozone, am I missing part of the original posting ?

o

Its not mixed its from construction equipment.Hed like to take it and dispose of it correctly but no one seems to want it..

o

Bulldinkie-
I have taken mine to A Garage close to my home. The last time I went, about a year ago, I took almost 10 Gallons and the owner only charged me $5.00 . Let me know what you find out.

o

Carcrazy, I know of no place that accepts anti-freeze, including Autozone, maybe some others do...
I have other ways of handling this problem...
And I am too cheap to pay someone else to remove or accept the "spent" coolant ; my bill for trash removal is high enough..
There are other innovative ways that can be employed..

BMY used to give the "used once" antifreeze to its employees, but then some decided to steal the new anti-freeze and waltz thru the gate..
That put an end to that ,IMO, generous program...

o

Bulldinke:

Have you checked with your local government? A simple phone call will do. I my state, many municipalities have collection tanks for spent antifreeze and engine oil, often at no extra charge - because this is already covered by taxes and trash collection fees.

o

Try this. I don't know where you live so I couldn't test it.

http://www.dep.state.pa.us/wm_apps/RecyclingLocations/

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cars Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here