SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mxyplx

Alighment

mxyplx
16 years ago

I was quite interested to see an alignment thread. This is a new thread cause the tale is a bit different. Now I have a '79 Toyota 3/4 ton P/U. 210K miles of which 150K are mine ALL mine. It has a torsion bar front suspension and upper and lower control arms with ball joints. Original. I keep it well lubed/maintained - don't let nuthing go. Nuthin. BUT!!!!!!!

It has always pulled to the left regardless of the road camber. I had it aligned "professionally" 4 times. Still ran off to the left. I have printouts from the last 2 alignments (same outfit) and (the last alighment was requested because I bounced it off a curb or some similar mistake).

Now then: The last 2 printouts state the alignmnet specs (front and rear). My "book" states the alignment specs. All 3 "specs" are different. No record of the 1st 2 alignments. The last 2 alignments show the measured final adjustment within or right on specs (different specs remember). After the operation they drove it out and said it was OK. How would they know? I drive it all the time. They drove it once. They didn't drive it before either.

Finally a couple years ago I jacked it up and went at it myself. In my garage. I devised various ways to measure the toe in and camber - caster? nope! couldn't do it. Anyway nuthin worked till finally in complete disgust I cranked both wheels way to the right. How much I no longer know - lost my notes. AND!!!!!

The heap ran down the road straight. STRAIGHT! After all these years. However, in a panic stop situation you have to pay attention. Seems to dive a bit right for some odd reason. I don't allow anyone else to drive it. The tires show no discernable misalignment wear.

My conlusion is that published alignment specs are probly wrong, there is no guarantee the techs are looking at the correct specs for the correct model, most alignment outfits just make a pass at it, within specs is good enough for them whether it is or not, and after watching them work (from a distance don'tchaknow, insurance etc etc) the techs don't have the faintest idea about allowing for paralax and evaluating uncertainty when making their readings/settings.

=================================================================

Well I'm off to Sacramento for Xmas dinner with the kiddies and grand kiddies. Therefore I can't, in good conscience, drink. Grandpa face down on the floor would be unseemly. Grandpa face down on the floor would be in blessed oblivion.

Cheers :-)

Comments (4)

Sponsored