Return to the Cars Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
rear_wheel_alignment?

Posted by guitar42 (My Page) on
Thu, Dec 27, 07 at 12:04

Hello all and Happy New Year--Yesterday I had to buy 4 new tires for my '97 Ford Ranger extended-cab 4WD, 3L, V6, rear wheel drive, truck from a local Town Fair Tire Center here in Seymour, CT.
Front end alignment was n/c but they charged me $48 for computer balancing and,(this I really don't understand--),
$49 for a REAR wheel alignment. I have never heard of aligning the rear wheels on ANY vehicle I can think of that has a static and fixed rotating axle w/ no means of adjustment that I can see. My Ranger has drum brakes in rear, pads in front. Opinions? :)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: rear_wheel_alignment?

Typo, or otherwise simply a poor communication occurance.

$49 for an alignment likely means a Rear Thrust Angle Alignment was performed. This means the heads are installed and compensated on all four wheels. Similar to a four wheel alignment, except adjustments are only performed in the front of the vehicle. This gives the machine the ability to measure the thrust angle of the rear wheels and aids the technician in centering the steering wheel while the front wheels are aligned. In many way's you can probably chalk this up to a non technician service writer getting tongue tied as he/she attempted to communicate the services that were performed.

o
RE: rear_wheel_alignment?

John,
You're obviously someone who knows what they're talking about because that's EXACTLY what happened...I found out the kid behind the counter was new and wrote invoice up wrong. Lead tech. explained it almost verbatim over the phone. The place I had tires done is very reputable so I new something else was up. Thank You very much and God Bless...... :)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cars Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here